Wis-Can

Canada/US Crossing with Vehicle Letter

151 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad people in the same state (FL) are answering these questions. As a new resident of MA I can fill out a form to be exempt from paying taxes on an out-of-state vehicle.

Interesting, I haven't read anywhere else that one must wait for some stage of AOS or PR status to get a DL.

So much of this process seems simple, then it seems complicated, then in reality it turns out to be pretty simple. What is that?? :P

Timeline
Whoa. What universe do you live in? :lol: My personal experience with process was excruciating. :crying:

Haha well it might just be some alternate dimension but it is probably wishful thinking, since I haven't been to the RMV yet. :lol:

Timeline
Oh! One last thing. Go to the DMV office and get your residency card. Once you have your AOS NOA you can get your driver's license and register your vehicle. This took me about 7-8 months. In the meantime I drove using my Canadian license and registration. The DMV told me it wasn't a problem to do so while I waited for my greencard.

How soon can I get a residency card? What kind of stuff do you need to get one? Any good perks for having one? Is it easier to get stuff done like my DL and registration?

According to the website though, once I become a 'resident' I have 10 days to register my car. Will this mess that up? Right now, my plan was to get my DL after AOS NOA and then get my registration done after I have my DL and FL car insurance. I received an email response back from the official site about getting a "declaration of domicile" to establish my residency. I copied my reply on this thread... I think it's a page over.

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

Filed: Timeline
How soon can I get a residency card? What kind of stuff do you need to get one? Any good perks for having one? Is it easier to get stuff done like my DL and registration?

You can get a residency card right away if you have the proof of residential address. Link

My main purpose in getting it was for identification purposes to show I was legal until my GC came in. It also gets you Florida resident discounts at the attractions and hotels.

The best use of it, I found, was when I went to apply for my DL. I had already proven I was a resident so I just had to turn it over to them instead of providing proof of residential address again.

According to the website though, once I become a 'resident' I have 10 days to register my car. Will this mess that up? Right now, my plan was to get my DL after AOS NOA and then get my registration done after I have my DL and FL car insurance. I received an email response back from the official site about getting a "declaration of domicile" to establish my residency. I copied my reply on this thread... I think it's a page over.

To the DMV, you don't become a "resident" until you receive your AOS NOA or EAD. So, no, it won't mess that up. I mean, they didn't berate me or me throw me out or anything. ;)

iagree.gif

Timeline

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Do you have any idea how much better I feel after reading all this?! I think I'll take advantage of the residency card as I want to get a pass for Disney. I have lots of friends from work wanting come visit and wanting to go to Disney, so the pass will come in handy!

Glad I have you guys. :)

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After reading through this thread, I am still a little unclear. If my fiance' still is making payments on his car loan, can he or can't he import it to the U.S.? We were just planning to keep his Canadian checking account open with money to pay his monthly payments.

I haven't had a car loan in Canada so you'll have to answer me this question..... does the owner receive the title/registration? Or do they have to wait until the loan is paid off? (The way they do it in the States.) The reason I ask is that the POE requires proof of ownership, and so does the DMV when you register the vehicle. The POE also requires the bill of sale.... so the loan will show up on that receipt if it was made at the dealership, I assume. In Florida the title gets sent to the lienholder until the vehicle is paid off unless the lienholder signs off on it. See this form. Some lienholders will not allow a vehicle to leave the country, so he's going to have to clear it with them first.

iagree.gif

Timeline

In Michigan (where he is coming) (and Wisconsin where I lived before) my car title had the name of my car loan holder on it until I paid off. I will have to ask my fiance' about his car title in Canada. I hadn't even thought of the fact that they wouldn't give a title at all to the car purchaser. Hum.

I know that on mine, *I* am the titleholder. The car is registered in my name...all of it was done to me. But the difference is that my car loan is from the bank, NOT from a car dealership or manufacturer etc., so I think it's a non-issue for ME. I don't know about those who don't have the full registration in their name though. Hopefully someone will chip in on that issue.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

I believe his car loan was from the dealer. Is there anyone else who dealt with this (i.e. a car loan from the dealer on a car they wanted to import to the U.S.)?

I believe his car loan was from the dealer. Is there anyone else who dealt with this (i.e. a car loan from the dealer on a car they wanted to import to the U.S.)?

Yes, there was one guy a few years ago. Can't remember his name, though. He moved to California. I think he had to pay off the loan or something. I think someone else ended up selling the vehicle. Have your fiance call the lienholder. They'll be able to answer his questions.

iagree.gif

My car had a lien on it when I imported it without problems. The loan was through the dealer. I since paid it off and to my surprise when I transfered the car it showed a clean title and that was before I paid it off. Weird!

Edited by Wis-Can

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

I responded to your post but forgot to click on your posting...its above this one. Sorry

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.