Wis-Can

Canada/US Crossing with Vehicle Letter

151 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm guessing it would be more like importing a car instead of importing car parts because even though it will all be in pieces, he does have all of the pieces and won't need to buy anything. I did go back and read the NHTSA text again (it's brutal to read) and it looks like if the vehicle is more than 25 years old, all you need is a registration as long as it shows the model year. The registration he has does show the year, so we should be good, however, I'm not completely buying it. I think I'll call the Bluewater Bridge folks just to make sure. Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Of course my case just had to be difficult. I called Volkswagon about my 97 jetta and asked for a compliance letter. They said that I have an "L" in the fifth position in the VIN # and therefore my car does NOT meet US standards and they would NOT be able to supply me with a compliance letter. There are no modifications, no exceptions and I am SOL. Geez. I really need my car here as I have not yet established a good enough credit rating to qualify for a car loan. Stuck between and rock and a hard place. I wonder if it is okay to drive my car "temporarily" with Canadian plates and insurance until I am in a better position to buy a new car here in the US. Anyone else try this? Do the US border guards stop you from driving your car across altogether if you have no compliance letter. Do they let you thru if you tell them it is temporary and you won't be trying to register that car?

Filed: Timeline

There are a number of people on here who have driven their car over and not imported them. Mine didn't even ask me about importing my car so it's a good thing I knew all about it or I would have had extra things to do. lol

Since there are so many restrictions to importing your car when you get here, I had to wait until I actually had a SSN and the NOA from my AOS before I could get my driver's license and register the vehicle. So I drove on my Canadian plates with Canadian registration from November till June without a problem. (Geico insured me with the Canadian info and I just gave them the new information when I got it.) But Florida has allowances for Canadians so I got off pretty easy. I hear California's pretty tough, as well as some other States, though.

I think BorderDriver brought her vehicle and does not plan on registering it. You may want to check her posts.

iagree.gif

Timeline
There are a number of people on here who have driven their car over and not imported them. Mine didn't even ask me about importing my car so it's a good thing I knew all about it or I would have had extra things to do. lol

Since there are so many restrictions to importing your car when you get here, I had to wait until I actually had a SSN and the NOA from my AOS before I could get my driver's license and register the vehicle. So I drove on my Canadian plates with Canadian registration from November till June without a problem. (Geico insured me with the Canadian info and I just gave them the new information when I got it.) But Florida has allowances for Canadians so I got off pretty easy. I hear California's pretty tough, as well as some other States, though.

I think BorderDriver brought her vehicle and does not plan on registering it. You may want to check her posts.

Thanks Krikit! I just feel better knowing someone else tried it. I have already "moved" to the US but want to go back to Canada and get my car and bring it over. I am wondering what I should say (or not say) at the border. I just hope they don't stop me saying I cannot bring the car at all without the compliance letter. I will check with our insurance agent here in Indiana to see if they will cover the car, even temporarily... Wish me luck.

Monica

Timeline

Don't quote me on this but I think I remember reading somewhere that you can bring your car into the US for up to a year without importing it, then return it to Canada to sell there. You can't sell it in the US though. You might want to look into that.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Yep, i drove my car through the border and I had 3 months canadian insurance on it. I called the DMV and they said they needed an SSN to have my license. But from WAshington DMV policy, I have to convert my license 30 days after establishing residency. So, technically i cant establish residency w/o my SSN ;)

my canadian insurance expires at the end of July and the border told me that I dont have to import my car right away. I actually forgot to ask them how long I have until i need to import my car. but they said, make sure my car is covered by insurance when im importing. and while waiting for my SSN & the end of my insurance, i decided to request for a compliance letter from Chrysler. it turns out that even though my car was not on the list of importable vehicles, I was still able to do so. I am doing that some time in July.

Oh yeah, my husband has auto insurance and I can be covered under his too w/ my canadian driver's license. and the insurance company said they can insure my car too with BC plates.

im not sure if this applies to your auto insurance companies, but if i cancel my insurance before its done, i have to return the license plate. but if i dont cancel it, i can keep my license plate. not sure if that's helpful to anyone else.

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Timeline
Thanks Krikit! I just feel better knowing someone else tried it. I have already "moved" to the US but want to go back to Canada and get my car and bring it over. I am wondering what I should say (or not say) at the border. I just hope they don't stop me saying I cannot bring the car at all without the compliance letter. I will check with our insurance agent here in Indiana to see if they will cover the car, even temporarily... Wish me luck.

Monica

oops i missed this part. yes you're eligible to get insurance on your car. I called Geico and they said they will cover it for 6 months. BUT within 30 days of starting your insurance with them, you will need to have a State license and give up your canadian one.

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Your information is so valuable,

Thank-You

I have a KIA Sorento, Humm... going on those links I didnt see the make mentioned , this should be interesting. I 'll just keep searching.

R Alternative / Progressive / Rock

www.myspace.com/dispatchedendorphins

Timeline

does anyone know if you have to pay something to import your car at POE? mine is probably just worth 1500-2000(?) i thought i read somewhere that you have to pay a certain amount when your car is worth more than.....?

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
does anyone know if you have to pay something to import your car at POE? mine is probably just worth 1500-2000(?) i thought i read somewhere that you have to pay a certain amount when your car is worth more than.....?

There is no duty on your personal vehicle. I imported mine (a 2006) and there was no duty. On the import form you just have to declare a value for the vehicle. I totally made something up.

Its the one part of the process that you expect to cost a fortune that turns out to be free. Who'd have thought. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

ok i am getting ready to put the docs together to register my car in Washington State. I just called the Licensing office and they said all they need is my vehicle registration from Canada. They do not need anything from Customs. Is this right? this doesnt sound right.... b/c if it was done this way, then why do I need to see Customs and go through all the hassle if all I need is my registration from canada. weird.

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it works in ur favor----run with it!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
ok i am getting ready to put the docs together to register my car in Washington State. I just called the Licensing office and they said all they need is my vehicle registration from Canada. They do not need anything from Customs. Is this right? this doesnt sound right.... b/c if it was done this way, then why do I need to see Customs and go through all the hassle if all I need is my registration from canada. weird.

Maybe that's how they do it in Wash state? Doesn't really sound right to me though, maybe the person you spoke to didn't know much about importing a vehicle

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.