Wis-Can

Canada/US Crossing with Vehicle Letter

151 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi, Do you guys plan on keeping your car in US? do you think you may be able to sell it being it's canadian model with KM instead of miles? My fiance plans to sell her car and then we will purchase another car here when she gets here.

I kept my car, but my Dad pointed out the resale value will probably go down here.... simply because the odometer is in KMs and most Americans don't know or want to know about anything else but miles, so I may have a hard time selling it. Even though miles is on there, albeit smaller LOL

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
Hi, Do you guys plan on keeping your car in US? do you think you may be able to sell it being it's canadian model with KM instead of miles? My fiance plans to sell her car and then we will purchase another car here when she gets here.

I kept my car, but my Dad pointed out the resale value will probably go down here.... simply because the odometer is in KMs and most Americans don't know or want to know about anything else but miles, so I may have a hard time selling it. Even though miles is on there, albeit smaller LOL

My odometer is digital. When I had my car serviced at the Hyundai dealership down here, they told me that they just had to change a setting to get it to show miles instead of kilometers.

Maybe you can do that with your car too.

~ Catherine

You can get iyour odometer switched over which is what I am planning on doing, and they can replace the speed/gauge as well on your dash. For my car is I can actually purchase a sticker like piece of vinyl that they put over what's there now to reverse the Kilo/miles gauge, or I have to option of having the whole thing replaced. I was also told that I will need to keep the car for a period of two years after I enter to avoid paying duty on it. I don't know how accurate that information is.

Behzad, start another thread if you want answers about EI, or there are numerous threads on here now about EI. You'll get better responses. Good Luck!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know abot EI rules? I read in one of the posts taht if you immigrate to get married and quit you rjob youcan apply for EI? Do you know anything about this?

This information applies only to CR1/IR1 K1 and K3 visa holders - who may be eligible to collect Employment Insurance after they have moved to the U.S.

'''Contact Information:'''

The out of country EI office number is: 1-877-486-1650

The information on out of country claims is here: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/inf...anada.shtml#top

The website for EI is here: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/menu/eihome.shtml

The online application is here: http://www100.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ae-ei/dem-ap...lish/home2.html

'''Important notes:'''

- Do not quit your job too early. A week or two should not matter, however any longer than that and your application for EI may be denied.

- Apply immediately upon entering the U.S., absolutely within 30 days of quitting. Your application may be denied if you do not apply within the 30 days.

'''Applying:'''

- You can apply online http://www100.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ae-ei/dem-ap...lish/home2.html Online Application

- Ideally your ROE will show your reason for quitting as - relocating to be with spouse/get married/etc - however even if the reason shown is 'quit' you may still be eligible based on the information they will gather from you after you submit your claim.

From the VJWiki Canada page.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

My odometer is digital. When I had my car serviced at the Hyundai dealership down here, they told me that they just had to change a setting to get it to show miles instead of kilometers.

Maybe you can do that with your car too.

~ Catherine

If it's easy and won't cost a fortune, I'll definitely look into doing that! I figured they'd have to replace the whole thing and it would cost too much.

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know abot EI rules? I read in one of the posts taht if you immigrate to get married and quit you rjob youcan apply for EI? Do you know anything about this?

You asked this question in the EI thread, Flames and I already replied to you.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Timeline

You can definitely sell it. Perhaps even to another Canadian! :lol: (There are lots of snowbirds here who wouldn't mind having a car kept down here and we've already been asked about it.) In fact my husband has asked some dealerships about it as we are thinking of trading my Canadian car in. They said it's no problem at all.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
ok, Volvo sucks my *******

I finally got someone today who sent me a 3 sentence form letter saying that my car complies with all emissions and standards on the date it was built. thats it... they said that if I wanted a more detailed letter with recall stuff etc... I would have to go to dealership...have them test my car???? check for recalls and they would charge me????

You would think, being linked to Ford, they would have their game straight!

Back to the drawing board... gotta call this guy tmrw :(

Thanks Trailmix :)

You're welcome! You know in pondering this, different vehicles may require different items to be mentioned in their letters of compliance. Some vehicles have stickers for instance - which serve some identifying purpose which might just include emissions compliance.

I know some others here have discussed this before - I am assuming that some of you have compliance letters that maybe didn't mention emissions - but your vehicles had stickers that showed it complies?

I found this: http://www.clearedanddelivered.com/article/tag/import/

Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original. Ensure you have documentation, such as a manufacturer’s letter, stating that the car conforms to EPA and DOT standards, as well as a completed EPA form 3250-1 and DOT form HS-7. (If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a manufacturers letter. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a manufacturers letter.)

Trailmix, will you just do all of our paperwork for bringing his car to the US??? Pretty, pretty please!!! :yes: You know so much more than I could even think of possibly knowing when it comes to bringing the vehicles over the border.

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
ok, Volvo sucks my *******

I finally got someone today who sent me a 3 sentence form letter saying that my car complies with all emissions and standards on the date it was built. thats it... they said that if I wanted a more detailed letter with recall stuff etc... I would have to go to dealership...have them test my car???? check for recalls and they would charge me????

You would think, being linked to Ford, they would have their game straight!

Back to the drawing board... gotta call this guy tmrw :(

Thanks Trailmix :)

I got my compliance letter very easily with Volvo. I called Volvo Canada who did not seem too interested in doing the work, so they told me to call Volvo USA (which I promptly did)

They have all your vehicle records since Volvo USA, Canada etc are all linked together, plus, their service is so much better :). Just call them and they will send you the compliance letter by mail without any problem.

I will dig up the phone number and the person I spoke with, (I think her name was Donna) and I will post it here.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

K1

2008-07-09 : I-129F Sent

2008-11-18 : I-129F NOA2

2008-11-24 : Consulate Received

2008-11-30 : Packet 3 Received

2009-01-26 : Medical appointment (3 vaccines shots !)

2009-02-09 : Packet 3 Sent

2009-03-30 : Packet 4 Received

2009-04-28 : Visa APPROVED !!!!!

2009-05-01 : Visa in hand !!!!!

2009-08-22 : Big smile and moving to sunny Florida

2009-08-23 : Finally here in Florida with my babe :)

2009-09-17 : Civil wedding :)

AOS

2009-10-13 : Filed for AOS, AP, EAD

2009-10-23 : AOS NOA Received

2009-10-23 : AP NOA Received

2009-10-23 : EAD NOA Received

2009-11-05 : AOS Transfered to CSC

2009-11-18 : Biometrics Appt.

2009-12-04 : AP Approved

2009-12-11 : EAD Card received

2010-02-16 : AOS Approved and Greencard Received ! :)

Removing conditions on 11/16/2011

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i just want to make sure I understand this...

the list on NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig050108.pdf is what is allowed to be imported to US?

And the Model year is the oldest make that I can move to US?

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh even better, Toyota Canada has this information on their site:

Exporting a Vehicle from Canada:

Q: What is Toyota's recommendation for exporting my Toyota vehicle from Canada?

A: If you plan to export your current Toyota vehicle outside of Canada and the Continental U.S., Toyota recommends that you view Transport Canada's guidelines as displayed on their website www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/.

For Canadian citizens relocating to the United States, Toyota Canada can assist you in determining the compliance of your vehicle and provide a letter for submission to U.S. Customs (1994 model year Toyota vehicles and newer).

We require the following information prior to reviewing your request for a letter of compliance:

Model Year and 17 digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

Final Destination State (Please note that compliance regulations may vary by state)

Date of Departure from Canada

Letter stating the reason for change of residence (eg. Business transfer, marriage, education etc.)

Proof of Canadian citizenship or legal residency in Canada

Proof of Vehicle ownership

Please allow at least 8 business days for processing prior to your departure. You may contact the Customer Interaction Centre toll-free by phone at 1-888-TOYOTA-8 (1-888-869-6828) 7:00am - 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time, by fax at 416-431-8035 or submit your request through the Contact Us section of this website.

We cannot guarantee that all Toyota vehicles produced for the Canadian market will comply with U.S. regulations. Vehicles without dual airbags are not eligible for permanent registration in the U.S. In addition, vehicles produced for the Canadian market may have unique features and equipment compared to similar U.S versions. Certain parts and service may not be available or difficult to obtain due to these differences.

For Canadian specification vehicles 1993 and older, please contact TOYOTA MOTOR SALES U.S.A at 1-800-331-4331.

Trailmix, I KNOW I saved the link to this info on my favorites, somewhere, but it isn't there now - even searched for it. Oyyy. I tried using the contact link pasted above, but it takes me to the toyota.ca site only. I've tried searching there for the info too and can't find it. Do you still - maybe - remember where you got that info??? Maybe???

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I have to revive this thread for what might be a silly question, but bear with me. Besides his every day car, my husband will also be importing a car he is in the process of rebuilding. In reading the NHTSA website, I am royally confused about whether or not he can import this one with no problem and also whether he needs a compliance letter for it. It's a 1970 Dodge Dart. Can anyone interpret the NHTSA info better than I or does anyone have any experience with this? I should also mention that when we move it, it will not be completely put together. We will have several pieces of it in the UHaul.

I have to revive this thread for what might be a silly question, but bear with me. Besides his every day car, my husband will also be importing a car he is in the process of rebuilding. In reading the NHTSA website, I am royally confused about whether or not he can import this one with no problem and also whether he needs a compliance letter for it. It's a 1970 Dodge Dart. Can anyone interpret the NHTSA info better than I or does anyone have any experience with this? I should also mention that when we move it, it will not be completely put together. We will have several pieces of it in the UHaul.

I think this would not fall under 'transporting a vehicle for road use' but more 'importing car parts' and as a 'hobby' item. I mean, would he still not have to buy many parts in the US to finish it? There is no way, you would get a compliance letter that would satisfy them for this car.

I would call the POE and ask them.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Trailmix, I KNOW I saved the link to this info on my favorites, somewhere, but it isn't there now - even searched for it. Oyyy. I tried using the contact link pasted above, but it takes me to the toyota.ca site only. I've tried searching there for the info too and can't find it. Do you still - maybe - remember where you got that info??? Maybe???

JulyBride - sorry - just saw this today :lol:

SomberCat - if they do indeed consider it to be a vehicle - and I kind of would hope they would - since you will want to import it so it can be registered...some day!

I believe there is info on the website you mention in relation to older vehicles, let me see if I can find it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.