littlebabygirl

waiver for meeting in person

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Off topic whos going to win the cup this year ehh!!! Employers are allowed to charge a resonable fee to proccess child support payments so there isn't any valid reason anyone would get fired for that. Lets stay on topic shall we.

OP as many has said and as pshbrk has stated (listen to him he is a good resource) you should really have a heart to heart with your bf. God I love my wife and would of never brought her here and put this burdon on her but instead I ended up paying a attny almost $5000 to get my child support straitened out, as I stated, my ex was trying to screw me over like your bf's ex. If he really loves you he wouldn't be trying to get you here untill he had his life straited out. Good luck.

just spoke with him and asked him how he get the arrears. can i get ur email add so i can discuss it to you? it's very personal. i just need to knw what is the right step we're going to do here. i think it's as same as your situation before.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
And what do you give for odds that a deadbeat dad is a good employee?

In fairness, laws related to garnishment for child support vary widely from State to State. One need not even be late on one payment in some states for a garnishment. They are sometimes simply automatic for court ordered child support and at other times, at the complete discretion of the recipient.

Obviously the OP's fiance is far enough behind to have a passport revoked or is unable to obtain one but we have no knowledge of any factors that contributed to that situation. Calling him a deatbeat without those facts is unfair and/or irresponsible, IMO.

Clearly there's a financial house to get in order here before there's going to be any further immigration issue to discuss. Since it sounds like the OP seems to have had a heart to heart with the USC fiance, it would seem prudent to leave them to work things out as they will, unless she has further questions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline

In fairness, laws related to garnishment for child support vary widely from State to State. One need not even be late on one payment in some states for a garnishment. They are sometimes simply automatic for court ordered child support and at other times, at the complete discretion of the recipient.

Obviously the OP's fiance is far enough behind to have a passport revoked or is unable to obtain one but we have no knowledge of any factors that contributed to that situation. Calling him a deatbeat without those facts is unfair and/or irresponsible, IMO.

Clearly there's a financial house to get in order here before there's going to be any further immigration issue to discuss. Since it sounds like the OP seems to have had a heart to heart with the USC fiance, it would seem prudent to leave them to work things out as they will, unless she has further questions.

Hear, hear.

And Gary - about your comment that you don't consider having worked in a law office a plus - you really don't have to try so hard to be offensive, do you? It's really below the belt.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hear, hear.

And Gary - about your comment that you don't consider having worked in a law office a plus - you really don't have to try so hard to be offensive, do you? It's really below the belt.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

It is my understanding Federal Law requires the state to report anyone in arrears of $5,000 or more for the state CSO to report this to the DOS for a hold on issuing a passport.

To answer the question asked, it is very doubtful a waiver would be granted for this reason of failure to meet. The opinion of the government would be something like, if the petitioner can't support his own children how can he support a wife. There may be many reasons for the arrearage and that would be for the petitioner to have addressed prior to filing petition.

It is my understanding Federal Law requires the state to report anyone in arrears of $5,000 or more for the state CSO to report this to the DOS for a hold on issuing a passport.

To answer the question asked, it is very doubtful a waiver would be granted for this reason of failure to meet. The opinion of the government would be something like, if the petitioner can't support his own children how can he support a wife. There may be many reasons for the arrearage and that would be for the petitioner to have addressed prior to filing petition.

Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport

Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations states, in part, that if you are certified to Passport Services by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to be in arrears of child support payments in excess of $2,500, you are ineligible to receive a U.S. passport . If this applies to you, Passport Services strongly recommends that you contact the appropriate State child support enforcement agency to make payment arrangements before applying for a passport. This is because:

* The State agency must certify to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that acceptable payment arrangements have been made.

* Then, HHS must notify Passport Services by the removal of your name from the electronic list HHS gives to Passport Services. (Passport Services cannot issue a passport until your name has been deleted by HHS.)

Please note that it can take 2-3 weeks from the time you make payment arrangements with the State agency until your name is removed from HHS' electronic list. Passport Services has no information concerning individuals' child support obligations and has no authority to take action until HHS removes your name from its list.

Source: Child support and Passports

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So to summarize:

Sounds like the consensus is no waiver will be granted.

If you two still love each other, you will have to wait until he pays his debts and he should do everything in his power (get a second job, etc) to pay off that debt ASAP.

Then he can fly to you and you can meet in person and fulfill that requirement, then file.

Good luck

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A child support case may take months to work it's way through the courts and then when a court issues an order for child support it is often retroactive to the date that the petition for child support was filed with the court. The net result is that your boyfriend could owe several months worth of child support all at once putting him over the $2,500 threshold for getting a passport. So he may not be a deadbeat Dad. I would ask to see the court papers and he will provide them to you if he is being honest about his situation. Child support payments are often excessive in this country and the court system is commonly used by bitter ex spouses to extract revenge on their ex. I have to pay my ex child support even though we have joint custody and equal time with the kids. I am the higher wage earner and she chooses to be under-employed. She lives in a new townhouse and I in a rented apartment. She eats out regularly, wont buy the kids necessities, refuses to pay her share of kids medical bills, the list goes on and on. If he has a bad relationship with his ex it will directly impact your life for years to come. You may want to reconsider whether this is the life you want for yourself.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
baby girl, just read the information about usa passports, it only states that if the person is BEHIND in child support payments that a passport may not be issued.

ur finace should try to apply for passport there are many men that pay child support on time that have a valid passport and travel where they wish...............

after divorcing in 1996, i was custodial father of 3 children till 2003, when they went to live with their mother. she was never current on child support ($300/month), but after the exchange i was immediately current (785/month) and remained so since. thankfully, the last child ages out in june. i obtained passport for travel related to my work in 2003, and traveled 30 times or so to 7 different countries with no issue.

if your guy can't get a passport it means he is way behind in support.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
All that said, I agree the OP doesn't need this information as it's probably irrelevant anyway. However, it should be noted that a child support garnishment is not an indication of anything other than an obligation to pay child support. In most states, one need not be in arrears to be garnished for child support. In some states, neither party even has a choice in the matter.

In Pennsylvania garnishment is standard practice if child custody is established and parents have been ordered by a court to invite the Domestic Relations office into their financial dealing, as is almost always the case. Garnishment protects the children (assuming the parent spends what he gets in their interest), protects the state (eliminates welfare payments to "welfare mothers"), and protects the person paying (unquestionable record of transaction).

What the OP really needs to be concerned with in this case is what kind of condition she is walking into. Has the petitioner provided her with W2 statements indicating his income and it's disposition? Does she understand what his net pay is? Has she seen pictures of the house/apartment? Has she seen bank statements? has she seen his credit report and credit statements?

Lots of girls get here and marry the guy before they realise how deep he is in the pit. Lots of girls don't even know what "deep in the pit" is. Lots of girls have really dissapointing marriages because their husbands have been less than truthful about financial matters. Full disclosure is full disclosure.

Yes, it may seem crazy explaining your financial standing to some 2nd world girl who has none, but it's in everybody's best interest. Yes, I told my fiancee the whole story before we married, including how much I had, how much I made a year, how much it cost to keep what I had, and how much was left over at the end of the month. A girl who gets a package that is different from what she expected is not gonna be happy. If she ain't happy, he ain't happy.

Babygirl,

If you need any help with understanding how things work, feel free to contact me by PM.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

he should try getting a passport first before he will worry he might not able to have one:) .... goodluck!

I-129F Sent :05-06-09

NOA1 (Receipt) : 05-15-09

NOA2 (Approved) : 08- 24-09

Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): 09-11-09

Interview Date (K1 Visa): 10-26-09

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received : 10-30-09

Date of US Entry : 11-11-09 ; POE: Minneapolis

SSN: 11-25-09

Date of Wedding : 11-28-09

AOS

Filing date :

NOA date for I-485 :

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date:

I-485 Interview Date:

I-485 Approval / Denial Date :

I-485 Approved:

I 551 Stamp in passport:

Green Card received Date :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.