littlebabygirl

waiver for meeting in person

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'd be kinda worried about this dude, OP.

1. If you're legally going to take on his debts, you should be in full knowledge of them BEFORE you go into the relationship on a permanent basis.

2. Has he applied for a passport and been refused? Had one and had it revoked? Is this the ONLY reason a passport isn't available for him to travel?

The other reason passports aren't issued is if the person applying has a criminal record. Please be sure that you have the truth. All of it. Having a

romantic daydream about someone that proves untrue is not just heartbreaking, it's also souldestroying and could leave you in a real legal mess.

3. If your fiance is stuck with repaying child support, how long is this for? How secure is his job? Will this leave him able to afford the fees for you to

enter the US, and to apply for your greencard after marriage? Perhaps more importantly, will he even pass the legal financial requirement to

sponsor your fiance petition? Presuming he DOES, will his current financial mess and failure to honor commitments to his children be a black mark

against him financially on USCIS/FBI searches?

4. If everything above tallies up to an honest score, then can he really afford to support you as well as his kids? Are you absolutely 100% certain that

you will have a roof over your head, food in your mouth, and medical insurance for when you get sick with all the stress of trying to support him?

From what I see, you appear to be rather young and somewhat romantically idealistic. You need to bust this guy's balls for the truth, so that you know EXACTLY what his position is and what YOUR position will be. This is YOUR life you're committing and, honestly, this guy is beating my red flag drum with a mighty big stick.

Please, for your own sake, look into this a lot more thoroughly. I wish you well and hope that he's the good man you believe in. :)

Thanks for wishing me well Brit Abroad. He always told me, the state or the child support services doesnt allow him to travel abroad 'cause he is paying support. im really coonfused now and dont know what to say here.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

That's sort of what I was thinking.

It sounds more to me like the $350 per week is an amount being collected to cover back support.

[/quote ]

no he said he pay $80 for the back support monthly and $350 weekly and just recently his ex ask for 5% increase and the court grant it based on his income.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My fiance is not allowed to travel abroad 'cause he is paying child support.

The reason you described (above) doesn't sound like a reason to not have met in person nor does it seem it would qualify for a waiver of the (meet in person) requirement.

actually you MAY be wrong. because if a noncustodial parent who is charged with child support falls behind a set amount I beleive it's 5 or 7 thousand dollars then a hold will be placed on that person barring him or her from attaining a passport or renewing a passport until the child support is caught up or is working in progress.

that is what the poster might be saying. Because paying child support in itself would not limit you from seeing your fiance. It's the block on the passport that would

He possibly could qualify in my opinion since he is inhibited by the Goverment from leaving the counrty. That could be a valid case but need to talk to a lawyer to get the facts this lady can't get a clear and cut answer from us. She needs to consult a immigration attorney for a clear direction

Let me understand the argument. The government restricts him from travel for non-payment of child support, so now the government should make an exception to the rule for meeting a fiancee...to apply for a visa in which you must prove your ability to support your fiancee AND all your existing family? And must prove this TWICE. This is a joke, right? :help:

So then you would aslo give leniency to a person who kills their parents because no they are an orphan?

Let me be CLEAR, and repeat my first post. I a NOT wrong. He will NOT get a waiver for this reason. Dream on.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

That's sort of what I was thinking.

It sounds more to me like the $350 per week is an amount being collected to cover back support.

[/quote ]

no he said he pay $80 for the back support monthly and $350 weekly and just recently his ex ask for 5% increase and the court grant it based on his income.

Sounds like he needs a better laywer. Truthfully it sounds like there is more going on here then meets they eye. In all my life I have never heard of a man who pays child support to ask for a 5% increase. Besides, you dont have to ask the ex or the courts for permission...He can make extra payments at any time to child support services and they will apply it to any amounts that are in the rears. Don't become a statistic here and mess your life up, remember if you do get married to this man and it ends up bad and you go home, you'll be branded aka second hand goods.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

My fiance is not allowed to travel abroad 'cause he is paying child support.

The reason you described (above) doesn't sound like a reason to not have met in person nor does it seem it would qualify for a waiver of the (meet in person) requirement.

actually you MAY be wrong. because if a noncustodial parent who is charged with child support falls behind a set amount I beleive it's 5 or 7 thousand dollars then a hold will be placed on that person barring him or her from attaining a passport or renewing a passport until the child support is caught up or is working in progress.

that is what the poster might be saying. Because paying child support in itself would not limit you from seeing your fiance. It's the block on the passport that would

He possibly could qualify in my opinion since he is inhibited by the Goverment from leaving the counrty. That could be a valid case but need to talk to a lawyer to get the facts this lady can't get a clear and cut answer from us. She needs to consult a immigration attorney for a clear direction

The current threshold is $2,500.00. If you owe that or more, you will not get a passport. If you are at $2,499.00 or below, the law states you can get a passport.

Please cross check your information before posting, try to be as accurate as possible. :thumbs:

And as pointed out above, he created the circumstances for not getting his passport, not the government. So how could the government be at fault here? There is no valid case to discuss.

An immigration attorney cannot help her with his back child support.

The simple solution is, if he is owes more than $2,500.00 in back child support, he needs to pay that, then he can apply for a passport. There is no way to overcome that.

I would suspect he would have an issue with the I-134, but one thing at a time.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm beginning to smell a rat! She joins yesterday, gets the low-down on this dude who she has never met and is still without a doubt deeply in love with him and not even a little bit discouraged by what she has been told.

She just continues to agree with everyone and continues to say she is looking for a way to overcome when obviously there is little chance given all the details that she will ever overcome any of this any time soon. She doesn't seem emotionally upset at all. Her responses are too matter-of-fact.

This is another poster who is simply giving all of us something to do..

Edited by DEDixon

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Could be - but the information is there now :)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
HIS ex was the one who asked for 5% increase. After his EX filed a petition for an increase, the court reviewed his latest paycheck and they approved what his ex demanded.

Look. There is one reason for this, and one reason only. This guy is FAR behind in child support and his ex is rightly monitoring the situation and he is topped out at the 50% withholding maximum. Whenever she suspects he gets a raise or knows he gets a raise, she runs back to the court for an increase. The 5% increase is probably not worth the effort, so she is serving notice on the deadbeat..."I got you now and I am not letting go"

Now, let me inform you of another fact of United States life. Employers HATE to keep getting these petty notices of liens on paychecks. His ex could be hoist on her own petard if she is not careful because his employer could just well get tired of having to make all the payroll changes and deductions and un-@ss this guy from their payroll. Times are tough, lots of people without child support problems need work...know what I mean? Also, and I can say this as an executive officer of an employer, LOTS of employers look at deadbeat dads askance. "hmmm, he doesn't support his kids? Will he do his job for me?" In this economy one does not need these questions being asked. Employers everywhere are looking to cut "costs".

Now this should tell you something that his ex is pursuing the guy for every nickle, literally, she can get. There are some huge red flags waving here. Pay heed.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
I'm beginning to smell a rat! She joins yesterday, gets the low-down on this dude who she has never met and is still without a doubt deeply in love with him and not even a little bit discouraged by what she has been told.

She just continues to agree with everyone and continues to say she is looking for a way to overcome when obviously there is little chance given all the details that she will ever overcome any of this any time soon. She doesn't seem emotionally upset at all. Her responses are too matter-of-fact.

Well, hey, my options are this, or raking leaves and twigs under the willow tree (Gr_((**(&^^%%$%$#!!!!!!)

The damn ice melted off over the weekend and I am going fishing! have a good day!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
HIS ex was the one who asked for 5% increase. After his EX filed a petition for an increase, the court reviewed his latest paycheck and they approved what his ex demanded.

My suggestion is that you discuss the details of his child support arrangement and finances. You need to know the following, at minimum.

1. How much back child support does he owe?

2. How much is his monthly or weekly obligation?

3. How much over the obligation is being paid? (At what rate is the outstanding balance being reduced?)

4. How many more years will he pay child support?

5. Will the obiligation reduce when one or more children reach a certain age? If so, how much and when?

6. How much is his take home pay after child support is deducted?

7. Based on the above, you can calculate when he can obtain a passport and visit you and comprehend a potential life plan together.

I'm not saying you should disclose this information here, just that you need to know it in order to make future plans, because you WILL NOT get the meeting requirement waived under these circumstances.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You're very wrong. You dont know how i feel now. I respected all your comments and advice here even some hurts me inside. I only shared a little of our situation here so pls dont just judge me based on what you think. im trying to take one step a time and know how to deal and tlak about this with my boyfriend as i am reading all your responses. Do you want me to just give up on our situation here and get mad to my boyfriend? Is that the reaction you want to see from me?

Timeline

My suggestion is that you discuss the details of his child support arrangement and finances. You need to know the following, at minimum.

1. How much back child support does he owe?

2. How much is his monthly or weekly obligation?

3. How much over the obligation is being paid? (At what rate is the outstanding balance being reduced?)

4. How many more years will he pay child support?

5. Will the obiligation reduce when one or more children reach a certain age? If so, how much and when?

6. How much is his take home pay after child support is deducted?

7. Based on the above, you can calculate when he can obtain a passport and visit you and comprehend a potential life plan together.

I'm not saying you should disclose this information here, just that you need to know it in order to make future plans, because you WILL NOT get the meeting requirement waived under these circumstances.

Thank you Pushbrk.

Timeline

You're very wrong. You dont know how i feel now. I respected all your comments and advice here even some hurts me inside. I only shared a little of our situation here so pls dont just judge me based on what you think. im trying to take one step a time and know how to deal and tlak about this with my boyfriend as i am reading all your responses. Do you want me to just give up on our situation here and get mad to my boyfriend? Is that the reaction you want to see from me?

Im not mad here. Im just a little disappointed of how you think of me but thanks anyway.

Filed: Other Timeline

Look. There is one reason for this, and one reason only. This guy is FAR behind in child support and his ex is rightly monitoring the situation and he is topped out at the 50% withholding maximum. Whenever she suspects he gets a raise or knows he gets a raise, she runs back to the court for an increase. The 5% increase is probably not worth the effort, so she is serving notice on the deadbeat..."I got you now and I am not letting go"

Now, let me inform you of another fact of United States life. Employers HATE to keep getting these petty notices of liens on paychecks. His ex could be hoist on her own petard if she is not careful because his employer could just well get tired of having to make all the payroll changes and deductions and un-@ss this guy from their payroll. Times are tough, lots of people without child support problems need work...know what I mean? Also, and I can say this as an executive officer of an employer, LOTS of employers look at deadbeat dads askance. "hmmm, he doesn't support his kids? Will he do his job for me?" In this economy one does not need these questions being asked. Employers everywhere are looking to cut "costs".

Now this should tell you something that his ex is pursuing the guy for every nickle, literally, she can get. There are some huge red flags waving here. Pay heed.

Gary -

Discharging an employee for having a wage garnishment is against the law. The ex-wife can take this guy back to court over and over again and it will not affect him.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/garnis...sicPro#BasicPro

Title III, Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA)

(15 USC §1671 et seq.(PDF); 29 CFR Part 870)

Who is Covered

Title III of the Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA) protects employees from discharge by their employers because their wages have been garnished for any one debt, and it limits the amount of an employee's earnings that may be garnished in any one week. Title III applies to all employers and individuals who receive earnings for personal services (including wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses, and income from a pension or retirement program, but ordinarily not including tips).

Basic Provisions/Requirements

Wage garnishment occurs when an employer withholds the earnings of an individual for the payment of a debt as the result of a court order or other equitable procedure. Title III prohibits an employer from discharging an employee because his or her earnings have been subject to garnishment for any one debt, regardless of the number of levies made or proceedings brought to collect it. Title III does not, however, protect an employee from discharge if the employee's earnings have been subject to garnishment for a second or subsequent debt.

Title III also protects employees by limiting the amount of earnings that may be garnished in any workweek or pay period to the lesser of 25 percent of disposable earnings or the amount by which disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage prescribed by Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. This limit applies regardless of how many garnishment orders an employer receives. The federal minimum wage is $5.85 per hour effective July 24, 2007; $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008; and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009.

In court orders for child support or alimony, Title III allows up to 50 percent of an employee's disposable earnings to be garnished if the employee is supporting a current spouse or child, and up to 60 percent if the employee is not doing so. An additional five percent may be garnished for support payments over 12 weeks in arrears. The restrictions noted in the preceding paragraph do not apply to such garnishments.

"Disposable earnings" is the amount of earnings left after legally required deductions (e.g., federal, state and local taxes, Social Security, unemployment insurance, and state employee retirement systems) have been made. Deductions not required by law (e.g., union dues, health and life insurance, and charitable contributions) are not subtracted from gross earnings when the amount of disposable earnings for garnishment purposes is calculated.

Title III specifies that garnishment restrictions do not apply to bankruptcy court orders and debts due for federal and state taxes. Nor do they affect voluntary wage assignments, i.e., situations where workers voluntarily agree that their employers may turn over a specified amount of their earnings to a creditor or creditors.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.