littlebabygirl

waiver for meeting in person

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I agree that it is important for him to at least do everything he possibly can to pay off as much of the child support as possible before the two of you get married, regardless of him needing to pay it off for a passport. However, assuming it would be impossible for him to pay the amount off....you can still try for a waiver for the 2 year meeting requirment.

As others have stated, you will have to at least attempt for a visa to the US. If they deny you then you CAN use that as evidence for your waiver. If he is able to travel to Canada or Mexico (I guess not by flying, but maybe he could fly to the nearest border town and rent a car and drive accros), then you should try to apply for visas to Canada or Mexico as well and you could also use that as evidence.

All of that being said, I beleive it is a lost cause. They hardly ever approve these waivers and I would imagine that someone oweing a lot of money would be the least of the reasons they would approve! Just to give you some perspective, there was a couple a couple years back that could not apply and were denied a waiver. The American man was confined to a wheelchair and could not fly for long periods of time. I cannot remember where his fiancee came from, but she was unable to get a visa to come to America as well. They were denied the waiver (even though he had medical proof that he could not fly for such an extended period of time). They were denied on the basis that they could have met in a third country closer to the US where the man could have flown. So, since they type of a case was denied, I cannot imagine that yours would be approved. BUT, if you care to try, you are always welcome.

I think the only chance the two of you have is for him to pay off his child support -or at least the majority of it.

Good luck!

Thats what i thought, applying first for tourist visa to the US but then i read this story of a couple with the same situation where the fiancee was denied for tourist visa ('cause her fiance cant travel abroad 'cause he is under parole due to case he committed) then they apply for a waiver but then they were denied cus they didnt try to meet in third country near the fiance which is Canada or Mexico. Now i get tired of thinking this situation.

Truly the best way to overcome this c**p is to let my boyfriend pay the amount for his back support so he could get a passport to visit me here.

I remember reading an article about this in either the Times or the Wapo some time ago, the State Dept will not issue passports to people who are majorly behind in child support. I'm going to look for it and will be back.

Google this - "owing back child support and passport"

Bottom link will take you to the AP article - weird, direct link makes your register, google takes you to it...

Yes, i got the link already.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly the best way to overcome this c**p is to let my boyfriend pay the amount for his back support so he could get a passport to visit me here.

C**p?

How is it this? if your boyfriend took care of his responsibilities, you wouldn't have this issue.

But yes, once he takes care of his back payments, (below $2,500), then he can get the passport and visit you.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

C**p?

How is it this? if your boyfriend took care of his responsibilities, you wouldn't have this issue.

But yes, once he takes care of his back payments, (below $2,500), then he can get the passport and visit you.

I believe he started to have this problem regarding child support since the economy went down there in the US.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

If he can't afford to pay his child support, how will he pay for a plane ticket to visit you in the Phillipines? And all the subsequent visa costs?

How would you feel if you were the mother of his child and he didn't pay what he was required to in child support?

C**p?

I believe he started to have this problem regarding child support since the economy went down there in the US.

Unfortunately, economic hardship affects all of us in one way or the other. But, if your boyfriend had/has financial trouble to the extent that he has fallen behind on his child support payments...he needs to concentrate on paying that off before having any new expenses (like a trip across the world to meet you).

And, I'm sorry...it is not C**P to be financially current with your financial obligations towards your child.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If he can't afford to pay his child support, how will he pay for a plane ticket to visit you in the Phillipines? And all the subsequent visa costs?

How would you feel if you were the mother of his child and he didn't pay what he was required to in child support?

clapping.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i totally concur. it sounds like her bf is only dreaming and has no knowledge of the expenses he will incur.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just another thought for the initial poster (this is the type of question they might ask if you try for a waiver!)...you say that you have been dating for 2 years? correct? Why haven't you tried to get a visa to see him throughout this time and/or why hasn't he tried to deal with his child support issues earlier?

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

C**p?

Unfortunately, economic hardship affects all of us in one way or the other. But, if your boyfriend had/has financial trouble to the extent that he has fallen behind on his child support payments...he needs to concentrate on paying that off before having any new expenses (like a trip across the world to meet you).

And, I'm sorry...it is not C**P to be financially current with your financial obligations towards your child.

-P

Yep, which is also why USCIS does not accept excuses of financial difficulty for not adhering to the meeting in person requirement, so OP, that route is not available to you either in terms of a waiver.

My advise is to stop looking for ways to get around the meeting requirement, as it will result in a denial of your petition and a loss of $455. If your boyfriend/fiance/whatever is already having financial difficulty, then wasting $455 is obviously not a very good option for him and his child(ren).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i totally concur. it sounds like her bf is only dreaming and has no knowledge of the expenses he will incur.

Littlebabygirl, I'm reading the posts and I cannot help myself.

This should be a huge red flag for you and the future of your relationship with this man.

Besides the amount of money to be put into this whole visa process, there is also energy, time and the hardships of being apart, which can cause a lot of strain in the relationship.

Just take little baby steps and don't avoid asking yourself the difficult questions. Seek the truth, dig into it with your SO and be honest.

This is your life we are talking about.

God bless :star:

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

If your BF can't support his kids I can't see how he can afford to pay for the immigration process. Does he send you money?

FYI you cannot fly from the Philippines to Mexico.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Littlebabygirl, I'm reading the posts and I cannot help myself.

This should be a huge red flag for you and the future of your relationship with this man.

Besides the amount of money to be put into this whole visa process, there is also energy, time and the hardships of being apart, which can cause a lot of strain in the relationship.

Just take little baby steps and don't avoid asking yourself the difficult questions. Seek the truth, dig into it with your SO and be honest.

This is your life we are talking about.

God bless :star:

Thanks.

Timeline

C**p?

-P

sorry but i never meant his child support is the c##p here. what i meant was,the option of applying for tourist visa or meeting in third country could be also be very impossible for us. so really the best way is just let my boyfriend pay the child support so he can apply for passport and come here with me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

C**p?

As I suspected, since PAYING child support has no affect on passports or travel. Or K-1 visas for that matter. NOT paying is the problem. So what YOU need to consider is that your intended is not paying child support as Bobby Umit pointed out. It is NOT C**p, it is a failure in his responsibilities and if he is paying his current child support plus the arrearage I do not see where he falls far behind unless he was not paying for some time which negates the "since the economy went bad" argument. I mean at $80 per month it takes quite some time to run up $2500 in arrearage and quite some time to pay it off. You have known him for, was it, 4 years? This is a big surprise to you? But the way it works is that courts, in most states, cannot take more than 50% of his after tax income for child support so the $80 could be a default figure above and beyond his usual payment due. It may be all they are allowed by law to take.

You need to hold his feet to the fire for YOUR sake and get some answers because otherwise you are spinning your wheels with a deadbeat. If it sounds harsh, so be it. But this is also your future and you are considering it with a person that has never had a passport, I mean, who's doing the thinking here?

Good luck

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Just another thought for the initial poster (this is the type of question they might ask if you try for a waiver!)...you say that you have been dating for 2 years? correct? Why haven't you tried to get a visa to see him throughout this time and/or why hasn't he tried to deal with his child support issues earlier?

we've been searching for a way to be with wach other eversince, then we found out this site and we've learned that K1 prosecess is the easiest way for us to be with each other. unfortunately we have a problem cus we havent seen each other yet. he's been very open with me about his situation, that he is paying child support and we never argue about it. as his partner i should understand him and this situation happened even before he met me.

I really appreciate all the advice i got here regarding this issue, it helps a lot.

thank you guys!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.