littlebabygirl

waiver for meeting in person

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys!

This is my first time to post and i need your support guys to help me with our situation. Me and my fiance were together since 2007. We have a big problem now. We cant start filing the K1 petition 'cause we still havent met in person. My fiance is not allowed to travel abroad 'cause he is paying child support. And I have read in some situation posted here that we can apply for a waiver since my fiance cant come here to meet me due to the existing law in his country but i also read some advice that if the petitioner couldnt meet the beneficiary, the beneficiary should make an effort or move by going to petitioner's country to meet him.

Now I am thinking so hard what we should do here? Im planning to apply for tourist visa to see my fiance but applying for tourist visa is very difficult here in my country. And if ever i get approved Im afraid i might be hold at the port of entry 'cause of my reason why i want to be there. I know i must show prrof that i will comeback here in our country and not intend to live in my fiance's country. In my heart i know i will definitely comeback here so we can start legally the K1 process. But if ever i get denied (tourist visa), do you think that is enough reason so we can apply for a waiver? I mean if i get denied, can we use the embassy decision being denied to apply for waiver of not meeting in person and start to file the K1 petition?

Thank you guys in advance!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fiance is not allowed to travel abroad 'cause he is paying child support.

The reason you described (above) doesn't sound like a reason to not have met in person nor does it seem it would qualify for a waiver of the (meet in person) requirement.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi guys!

This is my first time to post and i need your support guys to help me with our situation. Me and my fiance were together since 2007. We have a big problem now. We cant start filing the K1 petition 'cause we still havent met in person. My fiance is not allowed to travel abroad 'cause he is paying child support. And I have read in some situation posted here that we can apply for a waiver since my fiance cant come here to meet me due to the existing law in his country but i also read some advice that if the petitioner couldnt meet the beneficiary, the beneficiary should make an effort or move by going to petitioner's country to meet him.

Now I am thinking so hard what we should do here? Im planning to apply for tourist visa to see my fiance but applying for tourist visa is very difficult here in my country. And if ever i get approved Im afraid i might be hold at the port of entry 'cause of my reason why i want to be there. I know i must show prrof that i will comeback here in our country and not intend to live in my fiance's country. In my heart i know i will definitely comeback here so we can start legally the K1 process. But if ever i get denied (tourist visa), do you think that is enough reason so we can apply for a waiver? I mean if i get denied, can we use the embassy decision being denied to apply for waiver of not meeting in person and start to file the K1 petition?

Thank you guys in advance!

#1 you will not get a waiver for this reason. Dream on.

#2 Paying child support has absolutely nothing to do with traveling abroad. He told you that? And you believe it?

PS NOT paying child support could have something to do with it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

From what I understand, having a lot of unpaid child support can prevent you from getting a passport, which is apparently why he can't travel to meet you. Have you two thought about meeting in Canada? If he can't get a passport he won't be able to go to Mexico either, but Canada may possibly be an option, I'm not entirely sure about the rules for travel. I know years ago my family and I went to Canada to the Niagara Falls and we did not have a passport. This might be something to check into.

You must have ALL your bases covered before saying that there is no way for you to meet in person.

Not to mention if he is not caught up on back-owed child support, how does he propose to support you and do the financial information needed for the I-134/I-864???

MR. & MRS. CACEREZ

K-1 Process

10.23.08 - sent K1 packet

10.29.08 - NOA1

02.19.09 - NOA2 113 days, Igor's #226

04.13.09 - Interview, Visa in hand next day

04.19.09 - POE Atlanta

04.20.09 - Married!

AOS Process

06.09.09 - sent AOS,EAD,AP packet

06.17.09 - NOAs issued

06.24.09 - Biometrics done (3 weeks earlier than appt date)

07.03.09 - received RFE for I-693 (dated 6.29, responded 7.07)

07.23.09 - transferred to CSC (received letter 7.27)

07.29.09 - EAD Card Production Ordered & AP Approved

11.23.09 - AOS touched - card production ordered & welcome letter sent - 13 months exactly after initially applying for K-1!

12.03.09 - GC arrived in mail

Removal of Conditions Process

07.28.11 - received reminder letter from USCIS to remove conditions before 11.18.11

09.28.11 - mailed I-751 packet

10.03.11 - NOA

10.05.11 - check cashed

11.25.11 - Biometrics

07.24.12 - GC approved!

08.01.12 - GC arrived in mail

Citizenship Process

12.16.16 - sent N400 packet

12.23.16 - NOA issued

01.27.17 - Biometrics done

02.01.17 - put in line for interview

03.15.17 - scheduled for an interview on 04.21.17, had to write a letter asking for a reschedule because we will be out of the country

03.31.17 - scheduled for an interview again

05.09.17 - Interview!

Timeline
From what I understand, having a lot of unpaid child support can prevent you from getting a passport, which is apparently why he can't travel to meet you. Have you two thought about meeting in Canada? If he can't get a passport he won't be able to go to Mexico either, but Canada may possibly be an option, I'm not entirely sure about the rules for travel. I know years ago my family and I went to Canada to the Niagara Falls and we did not have a passport. This might be something to check into.

You must have ALL your bases covered before saying that there is no way for you to meet in person.

Not to mention if he is not caught up on back-owed child support, how does he propose to support you and do the financial information needed for the I-134/I-864???

yes my boyfriend has no passport. do you think if he can apply to get a passport the state will issue him one? as far as i know he doesnt have back-owed child support eversince.

yes my boyfriend has no passport. do you think if he can apply to get a passport the state will issue him one? as far as i know he doesnt have back-owed child support eversince.

Am not sure how we would know that for sure - he should know and if there's no legal reason he is not allowed (a passport) then he should be able to obtain one.

Again - you/he will need to figure this out because so few of these waivers get approved to begin with and your reason(s) would likely never be entertained by USCIS.

Meeting in a third country (such as Canada) may be an option for you guys.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

passports are issued by the federal government, not the state.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Am not sure how we would know that for sure - he should know and if there's no legal reason he is not allowed (a passport) then he should be able to obtain one.

Again - you/he will need to figure this out because so few of these waivers get approved to begin with and your reason(s) would likely never be entertained by USCIS.

Meeting in a third country (such as Canada) may be an option for you guys.

:thumbs:

but it would be also be difficult for me to get a tourist visa for Canada. im thinking of Mexico.

Timeline

i knw this maybe look very stupid for you Charles but can you tell me how my boyfriend could get a passport?

i knw this maybe look very stupid for you Charles but can you tell me how my boyfriend could get a passport?

Passports can be obtained at almost every USPS (Post Office) station.

http://www.usps.com/passport/welcome.htm <--direct link

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

baby girl, just read the information about usa passports, it only states that if the person is BEHIND in child support payments that a passport may not be issued.

ur finace should try to apply for passport there are many men that pay child support on time that have a valid passport and travel where they wish...............

I doubt if you can get a visa to go the the US yourself, that you'll find it equally difficult to get a visa to go to Canada or Mexico, however I really don't know. Not paying back child support payments could in fact prevent your finance from getting a US passport. It could prevent him as well in terms of supporting you. Please look into this.

As of June 1, 2009, any US citizen will need a passport whether they travel by air, land or sea to visit Canada. Right now, it's only if they travel by air. The same holds true for Canadians.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I doubt if you can get a visa to go the the US yourself, that you'll find it equally difficult to get a visa to go to Canada or Mexico, however I really don't know. Not paying back child support payments could in fact prevent your finance from getting a US passport. It could prevent him as well in terms of supporting you. Please look into this.

As of June 1, 2009, any US citizen will need a passport whether they travel by air, land or sea to visit Canada. Right now, it's only if they travel by air. The same holds true for Canadians.

[/quo

i feel hopeless now.

Timeline

[/quo

i feel hopeless now.

[/quot

let say my boyfriend has arrears or back child support, do u think he really cant get a passport?

Without a meeting in person, and with the reasons you gave in your OP, there is no way they will grant a waiver.

You will have to TRY to get a visitors visa to the states, and if that fails, you may have a chance for a waiver.

However, since your sponsor can get a passport, even if he is paying back child support, they will probably still deny the waiver.

Paying child support does not stop one from getting a passport. Owing past child support (deadbeat parent) would..

Are you sure he doesn't owe back support?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.