cutiebanker

Working overseas while on a conditional green card?

7 posts in this topic

i got married w. my hubby, a U.S. citizen, almost 2 years ago, but just got my conditional green card last oct. (oct. 2008--a delay in processing, sighs...what can i say?)

due to serious financial pressure, i'm considering accepting a very very good job offer in another country. the prob is--i have to work there for 1-1.5 years before i can

come back to the U.S.. obviously, i'm leaving the U.S. for a job b/4 the 2-year conditional period is over. my questions/worries are as followed:

1. do i need to apply for a suspension of my conditional green card b/4 i leave for another country for the job? during the 1-1.5 years, my hubby and i will still visit each

other. if i can come back to the states to visit him for the first time within 6-8 months after i leave, and stay for 2 weeks, will that be a prob? do i still need to call a halt

to my permanent residency status in that case? and is that gonna affect or delay my chance of removing conditions on residence? what kinds of probs will i be facing when

i visit my hubby from another country?

2. i'm planning to give birth to our first baby while i work in another country. what should i do for my baby to make sure he/she has the right status/nationality that won't

affect his/her future? i assume there will be some probs since he/she's born in another country though his/her dad is a U.S. citizen???

i appreciate very much any of the good advice on this forum. i wanna gather as much info as possible as not to make the wrong decision. thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
i got married w. my hubby, a U.S. citizen, almost 2 years ago, but just got my conditional green card last oct. (oct. 2008--a delay in processing, sighs...what can i say?)

due to serious financial pressure, i'm considering accepting a very very good job offer in another country. the prob is--i have to work there for 1-1.5 years before i can

come back to the U.S.. obviously, i'm leaving the U.S. for a job b/4 the 2-year conditional period is over. my questions/worries are as followed:

1. do i need to apply for a suspension of my conditional green card b/4 i leave for another country for the job? during the 1-1.5 years, my hubby and i will still visit each

other. if i can come back to the states to visit him for the first time within 6-8 months after i leave, and stay for 2 weeks, will that be a prob? do i still need to call a halt

to my permanent residency status in that case? and is that gonna affect or delay my chance of removing conditions on residence? what kinds of probs will i be facing when

2. i'm planning to give birth to our first baby while i work in another country. what should i do for my baby to make sure he/she has the right status/nationality that won't

affect his/her future? i assume there will be some probs since he/she's born in another country though his/her dad is a U.S. citizen???

i appreciate very much any of the good advice on this forum. i wanna gather as much info as possible as not to make the wrong decision. thanks.

No problem.

Obtain a re-entry permit (I-131) before you go overseas.

You child will be a US citizen at birth because his/her father is a USC citizen.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Dominica
Timeline

while you work away would you be out of the united states for 365 days straight?

*10/1/08 Married

*11/14/08 Mailed AOS package

*11/17/08 Package Received

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

*12/31/08 Notice for Interview Received

* 1/22/09 EAD Card received

*2/19/09 AOS Interview >>Approved

*2/26/09 Welcome letter received

*3/5/09 Green Card received in the mail!!!

while you work away would you be out of the united states for 365 days straight?

i expect to visit my hubby in the U.S. in 6-8 months after i leave for another country for work.

but due to the vacation time i'll be allowed, i'm gonna stay only for 2 weeks.

No problem.

Obtain a re-entry permit (I-131) before you go overseas.

You child will be a US citizen at birth because his/her father is a USC citizen.

thanks. but do i need to relinquish my green card b/4 i obtain a re-entry permit? how long will I-131 allow me to stay legally in another country for work?

should i apply for my child's citizenship right after birth at the U.S. embassy in another country? how does that work?

i appreciate very much your further answers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Dominica
Timeline

i expect to visit my hubby in the U.S. in 6-8 months after i leave for another country for work.

but due to the vacation time i'll be allowed, i'm gonna stay only for 2 weeks.

to be on the safe side, u should get the re-entry permit but i know that your GC is valid so long as you dont stay outside the US(territories included) for 365 days straight.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/14/08 Mailed AOS package

*11/17/08 Package Received

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

*12/31/08 Notice for Interview Received

* 1/22/09 EAD Card received

*2/19/09 AOS Interview >>Approved

*2/26/09 Welcome letter received

*3/5/09 Green Card received in the mail!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Cutie,

About your child's nationality if born abroad try this link Acquisition of US Citizenship from the DHS.

I'm sure you can find other useful information by browsing the site.

Good luck!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.