SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I cannot answer your question I'm afraid. It seems it takes about a week to get it in the mail, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.I know how you feel. The heartbreaking pain you feel when you have to say goodbye is greater than the joy of being together for, say, a couple of weeks. My wife and I decided early on that we would not see each other in person until all of this is finished.We do often talk on Skype thouh - almost every day now that I'm done at my job.

Yea, we used to Skype for hours a day, but one day a couple of months ago she just broke down in tears and told me she couldn't do it anymore. So we don't Skype anymore. Lately it's just been 15 - 20 minutes on the phone each day, and a "hold" until we see each other.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I see. That's not how it is for me and my wife, but I can certainly understand it. And I sympathize with you guys.

Chin up. It will all be over soon. Just remember to keep walking towards the light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

Yea, we used to Skype for hours a day, but one day a couple of months ago she just broke down in tears and told me she couldn't do it anymore. So we don't Skype anymore. Lately it's just been 15 - 20 minutes on the phone each day, and a "hold" until we see each other.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I got a couple of calls from my fiancee in the middle of the night breaking down crying. I am terrible on the phone ( she actually said I am like a different person on the phone) but that's how I deal with long distance things. I simply shut down all my emotions else I would just get sad and depressed everyday.

I will write an email to the stockholm embassy asking about visa pickup when I have my interview date. Been sending them a lot of emails lately, need to cool down a little bit before they get annoyed with me laughing.gif

Timeline

My wife called the NVC Monday night and she was told our visa application had been approved and our case forwarded to the embassy in Stockholm, so whatever documents/evidence I mailed must have been sufficient. Which may be useful information for other Scandinavians. I thought I'd post a little list of everything I sent, if I can just find the envelope where I have all the copies of the papers I mailed. I have updated my timeline to the best of my ability. I may try to fill in the last blanks later when I feel up for it. I know people get a lot of help from timelines.

It seems to me that as long as you don't hear anything from the USCIS/CSC/NVC/whatever, that's probably a good sign. My wife has called the NVC a number of times, but more like once or sometimes twice a week - definitely once a day like some people seem to do. It seems the best time of day to call is in the evening EST, like say after 9. Living overseas, with the six-hour time difference, that's kinda tricky though, so I am glad I have been able to rely on my wife to do that. Sometimes you can get a hold of information quicker by calling, but I am under the impression that the NVC communicates with you via e-mail on all the vital things, i.e. when bills are generated, when they accept your choice of agent, when bills have been paid etc etc. So I don't think it is required that you call.

All the paperwork drives me nuts. I swear it took me well over two hours to fill out the DS-230 alone. I consider myself to be a relatively clever person, well, smart enough at least. I have studied for years at Mälardalens Högskola, I have worked as a teacher for a bunch of years... but these forms... it just, I don't know, my mind goes blank. It never fails, the forms always make me feel like a frikken idiot, like I'm happy if I can remember how to spell my own name. I must admit I don't know much about migrating to Sweden, but from what I understand it's cheaper and easier, but not necessarily quicker compared to migrating to America. But maybe that depends on where you come from (I have worked as an SFI teacher, and many people come here from African, Middle Eastern and Asian countries, maybe it's trickier for them just as it seems easier for Scandinavians to migrate to the US than it is for people from those parts of the world).

Something that I have certainly found bizarre is the waiting and how it changes at different stages of the process. Like, my wife and I married here in Sweden on June 30 last year. We'd talked about applying for me to get permanent residency (the major reason why I would be the one to move is she has two kids, 11 and 17 years old, whereas I have no kids, and the language bit) even before that, we probably talked about it the first time when I visited her in Pittsburgh in July 2010 (which was the second time we met in person - she first came here in October 2009). We finally got around to filing the papers towards the end of November 2011; the priority date on our I-130 is December 1st. At that time we both knew we had a long, long wait ahead of us, and I guess I cannot speak for my wife with complete certainty, but for me, I had no problems coping with the wait back then. Then when the California Service Center approved our application and sent it on to the NVC on May 2nd, things changed. All of a sudden something was happening. That was weird, in that it wasn't all exciting in a good way. I started growing impatient and nervous - what if they would deny our case? In a way it was a tough month-and-a-half before I finally got the IV package in the mail. Once I had managed that tough, I started feeling more relaxed again. I felt like I had done what I could and it was out of my hands and I stopped worrying as much. But it goes without saying that it was a great relief when my wife found out the NVC had closed our case, approved it and forwarded it to the Stockholm embassy on July 2nd. Now it's just three major things left; the medical, the interview and then selling my apartment and actually moving. So, yeah, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. That is nice. And I don't feel as impatient now as I did one or two months ago. It will all be over soon.

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

- - - - -

The worst part about those forms are the questions like

"List all the countries you have been to in the past 10 years"

"List all the trips you have made into the USA"

and they give you about 2 lines of space to write it in the answer box lollaughing.gif

Hell, I even considered making a new email address because my current email is too long to fit in the form's answer box...

Timeline

Hehe. Yeah. I don't remember if that was in the ESTA I filled out two years ago when I visited my wife in the US, or if it was the DS-230, or both, but I particularly like the one asking if I was involved with the Nazi regime in Germany in the 1930's and -40's. Yeah. It was only 30+ years before I was born, but OK, whatever.

I don't remember writing anything in the DS-230 about trips to other countries. :bonk:

- - - - -

The worst part about those forms are the questions like"List all the countries you have been to in the past 10 years""List all the trips you have made into the USA"and they give you about 2 lines of space to write it in the answer box lollaughing.gifHell, I even considered making a new email address because my current email is too long to fit in the form's answer box...

I have the same problem with prior trips to the US! I had a student visa for 5 years.. Probably entered 2 - 3 times per year, and 2 - 3 times per year on the VWP since lol

Hehe. Yeah. I don't remember if that was in the ESTA I filled out two years ago when I visited my wife in the US, or if it was the DS-230, or both, but I particularly like the one asking if I was involved with the Nazi regime in Germany in the 1930's and -40's. Yeah. It was only 30+ years before I was born, but OK, whatever.I don't remember writing anything in the DS-230 about trips to other countries. :bonk:

Yea, I always liked the one asking if I was seeking admission to the US to engage in espionage!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's such a sweet feeling to finally be home! Immigration only took 10 minutes, would probably only have taken 5 if the computer didn't have to be rebooted lol

This def was worth all the waiting!! :yes:

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline

Come on embassy people! I hope they can get the interview scheduled soon. :bonk:

- - - - -

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Come on VSC I want my NOA2, NÅ!! :bonk:

It's such a sweet feeling to finally be home! Immigration only took 10 minutes, would probably only have taken 5 if the computer didn't have to be rebooted lol

This def was worth all the waiting!! :yes:

Yay for you!! Must be feeling great:) How old are your kids?

K-1

Feb.14 2012: Mailed I-129F

Aug.14 2012: NOA2!! (179 days)

Oct.4 2012: Interview! Approved!

Oct.12 2012: Visa in hand

Dec.02 2012: POE

AOS

March 9 2013 AOS packet sent

March 18 2013 NOA1

April 1 2013 Biometrics done (appointment April 11)

May 25 2013 EAD/AP received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Bruce Springsteen sang this song in the Memorial concert in Oslo tonight remembering July 22, 2011.

Makes you appreciate everything we do have.

Beautiful lyrics.

We shall overcome

We shall overcome, we shall overcome,

We shall overcome someday;

Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,

We shall overcome someday.

The Lord will see us through, The Lord will see us through,

The Lord will see us through someday;

We shall overcome someday.

We're on to victory, We're on to victory,

We're on to victory someday;

We're on to victory someday.

We'll walk hand in hand, we'll walk hand in hand,

We'll walk hand in hand someday;

We'll walk hand in hand someday.

We are not afraid, we are not afraid,

We are not afraid today;

We are not afraid today.

The truth shall make us free, the truth shall make us free,

The truth shall make us free someday;

The truth shall make us free someday.

We shall live in peace, we shall live in peace,

We shall live in peace someday;

We shall live in peace someday.

K-1

Feb.14 2012: Mailed I-129F

Aug.14 2012: NOA2!! (179 days)

Oct.4 2012: Interview! Approved!

Oct.12 2012: Visa in hand

Dec.02 2012: POE

AOS

March 9 2013 AOS packet sent

March 18 2013 NOA1

April 1 2013 Biometrics done (appointment April 11)

May 25 2013 EAD/AP received

Timeline

Yeah that day one year ago is one day I am not going to forget any time soon. :(

- - - - -

Timeline

Yay for you!! Must be feeling great:) How old are your kids?

My son turns 7 in a few weeks and my daughter will be 3 months in a week :)

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

It's such a sweet feeling to finally be home! Immigration only took 10 minutes, would probably only have taken 5 if the computer didn't have to be rebooted lolThis def was worth all the waiting!! :yes:

My son turns 7 in a few weeks and my daughter will be 3 months in a week :)

Congrats!!!

You made it to Alaska in 2012 :)

Timeline

Congrats!!!

You made it to Alaska in 2012 :)

I sure did, it has been one heck of a journey to get here but i'm telling everyone who asks, it was worth every minute apart to be able yo be together for the rest of our lives!

I've got my fingers crossed for everyone else in here still waiting that things speed up!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.