SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I sold all my furniture and shipped everything else. Took about 2 months to arrive.

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Anything you can sell, get rid of it and buy some new upon your arrival. Odds are it's going to be cheaper, not only save the expense of shipping but also, things are generally less expensive in the US.

I took 3 suitcases and a dog on board the plane, then sent a big box a week before I left(it got here around the same time), then I had my parents send my personal belongings a little after a little. My clothing was put in those vacuum storage bags so it only took up half the space. I sold guitars, amps, dvd's, furniture, gave stuff away to charity and then some to friends/family. I only brought my monitor and desktop computer(without tower) because an identical one would cost much more over here.

Books.. If you send them through regular mail, then send a couple in each box if you're charged per the weight of the box. Cd's are the same - I get a few at a time. Having over 500, it will take some time though. :)

I thought about freight/a container shipped but all I needed was just personal junk to prevent me from being too homesick.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yeah whenever people ask me what I'm bringing, my answer is "as little as possible". Computer, CD's, DVD's, some of the books, and some of my clothes (only what I actually use, everything else I'll get rid of). Oh and hopefully a painting.

I basically only own IKEA furniture, and there's no point in having IKEA furniture shipped. My wife already has a lot of furniture and also there's an IKEA in Pittsburgh, so... you know.

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have looked into using either travelcargo.se or alfamoving.se. Travelcargo.se seems to be the better option for me since I won't be shipping any furniture (Maybe 10 or 20 boxes). travelcargodoes not insure your stuff quite as well though, so I might look into getting separate insurance for my collection of wine glasses.

Filed: Timeline

Yeah whenever people ask me what I'm bringing, my answer is "as little as possible". Computer, CD's, DVD's, some of the books, and some of my clothes (only what I actually use, everything else I'll get rid of). Oh and hopefully a painting.I basically only own IKEA furniture, and there's no point in having IKEA furniture shipped. My wife already has a lot of furniture and also there's an IKEA in Pittsburgh, so... you know.

When I first moved to the US for school I would go into IKEA every time I was homesick. The interior was the same exact look, smell, feel and layout in San Diego and Oslo. I literally felt like I was in Scandinavia. And they had Swedish and Norwegian food. Just a hint to all homesick Scandinavians who grew up at IKEA :)

Edited by jaejayC

Timeline

At the IKEA in Pittsburgh they had Swedish books in the book shelves. :thumbs:

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

They have IKEA close to where I'll be living too:)

I checked with one company to ship stuff with a container, to bring my bed (I love my bed he he) and about six boxes with glasses and stuff I would like to bring.

I got an quote for 33.000 NOK(about 5500 dollars)! So I guess I won't bring my bed... I will load our suitcases, with SAS you only pay 400 for an extra suitcase. With Posten we can mail 23kg for 1900 kroner. And I will bring stuff when I'm home on vacation or have family/friends bring stuff when they hopefully come to visit.

I'm planning to sell most of my furniture and give away stuff.

K-1

Feb.14 2012: Mailed I-129F

Aug.14 2012: NOA2!! (179 days)

Oct.4 2012: Interview! Approved!

Oct.12 2012: Visa in hand

Dec.02 2012: POE

AOS

March 9 2013 AOS packet sent

March 18 2013 NOA1

April 1 2013 Biometrics done (appointment April 11)

May 25 2013 EAD/AP received

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

What service did you guys use when you shipped your visa package to the NVC? Swedish/Danish/Norwegian post office or some other company?

Should I send it with some sort of express mail? I'm a little worried the package will get lost in the mail and I figure the faster it will get there, the better.

- - - - -

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I have a very supportive and understanding husband, which helps a LOT. :P He understands when I need to take our kid and go home for a couple of weeks, or puts up with my expensive orders of Norwegian food online. He also puts up with me when I go, "OMG NORWAY DOES THIS SO MUCH BETTER!" because he knows it comes from homesickness and not any hostility towards America. He also has been very willing to import some Norwegian customs and traditions (for instance, I don't allow anyone into the house with shoes on, which is apparently common here).

I don't know where in the US you're moving to, but being near other Scandinavian immigrants I would imagine helps (I'm unfortunately not, lol - the Scandinavian society in Pittsburgh is mostly 3rd or later generation immigrants who likes making lefse and don't really understand what I mean when I miss the Oslo cafe culture, for instance). I've found I get the most homesick around days that matter (May 17th, birthdays, Christmas, etc). There are May 17th celebrations around the US. There's also a Facebook group for Norwegians in America. Also, the ability to visit back home frequently helps. XD I go 2-3 times a year.

The cultural differences on the surface aren't so bad, and my day-to-day life isn't affected much. The things that are done differently day to day (for instance - nobody ever strolls with their babies in prams, #######?) I can do even though nobody else does them (I'll stroll as much as I damn well please, thanks). I've become lazy though (relying on driving everywhere will do that to you, lol). The biggest culture shock happens when I start looking at the big picture, and I get terribly annoyed that there's no maternity leave, that there's such a difference in quality between school districts, that job security/vacation isn't exactly up to par to what I'm used to from back home in Norway...

Skype and Facebook helps a lot when I miss my family and friends. :)

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

and spending lots of time at IKEA seems to help a lot of people tongue.gif

heart-1.jpg

1/04/12 - I-129F Petition Submitted to Dallas Lockbox

1/09/12 - Received at Vermont Service Center

1/10/12 - NOA1

1/13/12 - Touched

5/14/12 - NOA2

5/31/12 - NVC Received

6/04/12 - Sent to Embassy

6/05/12 - Medical completed

6/11/12 - Packet 3 Received

6/15/12 - Packet 3 Sent

7/02/12 - Interview-Approved!

10/13/12 - Wedding!

Filed: Timeline

I have a very supportive and understanding husband, which helps a LOT. :P He understands when I need to take our kid and go home for a couple of weeks, or puts up with my expensive orders of Norwegian food online. He also puts up with me when I go, "OMG NORWAY DOES THIS SO MUCH BETTER!" because he knows it comes from homesickness and not any hostility towards America. He also has been very willing to import some Norwegian customs and traditions (for instance, I don't allow anyone into the house with shoes on, which is apparently common here).I don't know where in the US you're moving to, but being near other Scandinavian immigrants I would imagine helps (I'm unfortunately not, lol - the Scandinavian society in Pittsburgh is mostly 3rd or later generation immigrants who likes making lefse and don't really understand what I mean when I miss the Oslo cafe culture, for instance). I've found I get the most homesick around days that matter (May 17th, birthdays, Christmas, etc). There are May 17th celebrations around the US. There's also a Facebook group for Norwegians in America. Also, the ability to visit back home frequently helps. XD I go 2-3 times a year.The cultural differences on the surface aren't so bad, and my day-to-day life isn't affected much. The things that are done differently day to day (for instance - nobody ever strolls with their babies in prams, #######?) I can do even though nobody else does them (I'll stroll as much as I damn well please, thanks). I've become lazy though (relying on driving everywhere will do that to you, lol). The biggest culture shock happens when I start looking at the big picture, and I get terribly annoyed that there's no maternity leave, that there's such a difference in quality between school districts, that job security/vacation isn't exactly up to par to what I'm used to from back home in Norway...Skype and Facebook helps a lot when I miss my family and friends. :)

Great analysis/points!! Lol where in Oslo are you from?

and spending lots of time at IKEA seems to help a lot of people tongue.gif

Indeed. Especially around Christmas time. But no IKEA where I'm going!

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Thnx guys :)

i am moving to arizona, i am from Trondheim so..i think what i am gonna miss most is the cafe culture with friends.

Also i am scared of not having any friends haha, but thay will be in order once i go to school.

Norway-180-animated-flag-gifs.gifUSA-180-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I grew up at Nordstrand, though I've lived in a few places across Oslo. :P

Making friends isn't so hard, if you're even a little bit extroverted and/or can get past the initial Norwegian tradition of not speaking to strangers. XD I've found that Americans as a whole are very willing to strike up a conversation with strangers and are very friendly (which is also why a lot of them find Norwegians rude - because we generally don't).

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.