SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

What do you mean you only have 14 days left? You're allowed to be in the US for 90 days each visit. Just make sure you spend more time outside the US than in the US.

Sorry I didn't clarify well. What I mean is that I'm from the U.S, she's from Norway. I'm traveling to Norway to visit her. When I say I have 14 days left, I mean out of the 90 days allowed under the Visa Waiver Program, I've spent 76 of them in Norway. So, what I'm askng is if I will encounter any problems with the CBP when entering Norway again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Sorry I didn't clarify well. What I mean is that I'm from the U.S, she's from Norway. I'm traveling to Norway to visit her. When I say I have 14 days left, I mean out of the 90 days allowed under the Visa Waiver Program, I've spent 76 of them in Norway. So, what I'm askng is if I will encounter any problems with the CBP when entering Norway again.

Visa Waiver Program is for going to the US. CBP works in the US. Norway just has an agreement with countries such as the US to come visit without a visa for 90 days. It is not a Visa Waiver Program. That's why I got confused because you said travel to Norway but then you mentioned CBP and VWP.

I don't see why you would have any issues if you have 14 days left. Rules just say:

• You can stay in Norway and the rest of the Schengen area for up to 90 days during a period of 180 days.
  • You can divide the 90 days over several visits and travel freely in and out of Norway.

Timeline

Visa Waiver Program is for going to the US. CBP works in the US. Norway just has an agreement with countries such as the US to come visit without a visa for 90 days. It is not a Visa Waiver Program. That's why I got confused because you said travel to Norway but then you mentioned CBP and VWP.

I don't see why you would have any issues if you have 14 days left. Rules just say:

• You can stay in Norway and the rest of the Schengen area for up to 90 days during a period of 180 days.
  • You can divide the 90 days over several visits and travel freely in and out of Norway.

Ah, okay, I understand. I'm trying to grasp all of the rules and regulations that are associated with immigration. I was under the impression that all countries under the VWP followed the same rules and such. But, it appears it's just the US. I just don't want to get turned around when I arrive in Norway because they find it suspicious that I've traveled so much within this year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Ah, okay, I understand. I'm trying to grasp all of the rules and regulations that are associated with immigration. I was under the impression that all countries under the VWP followed the same rules and such. But, it appears it's just the US. I just don't want to get turned around when I arrive in Norway because they find it suspicious that I've traveled so much within this year.

I think you mean your visa free travel within the Schengen zone that is granted for 90 days.

I know there are sometimes questions about it and it is probably a matter of luck whether you will get hassled. We got some questions about overstaying the 90 days once in the case of my daughter, but she was within her EU rights to accompany me.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

I'm hoping someone can help me understand the 90/180 visa free deal. I'll use myself for an example. I first traveled to Norway on December 30, 2015. Therefore, a new 180 day period will begin in June. Is this right? Or does it mean, I must first use up my 90 days, and then wait a while? I've been reading and reading and can't find a complete answer.

Timeline

It is 90 days in any 180 period, if you went tomorrow the cumulative total of your last 180 days in any Schengen country better be less than 90. Make sense?

For today, that day would be November 30th, 2015.

It is best not to push your limit all the time though and just get a visa if you need one because if you have trouble with one Schengen country with this issue, you will not be allowed to travel to the other ones without issue either.

dl_schengen-map_en-1.gif

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

It is 90 days in any 180 period, if you went tomorrow the cumulative total of your last 180 days in any Schengen country better be less than 90. Make sense?

For today, that day would be November 30th, 2015.

It is best not to push your limit all the time though and just get a visa if you need one because if you have trouble with one Schengen country with this issue, you will not be allowed to travel to the other ones without issue either.

dl_schengen-map_en-1.gif

Best not to #### it up.

Okay, I'm just going to use myself again to get this completely right. I arrived on December 30, 2015. Therefore, 180 days from December 30th is June 27th. Then I am able to travel less than 90 days in this period? I'm not trying to be difficult, just get a complete understanding of the rules.

Timeline

Okay, I'm just going to use myself again to get this completely right. I arrived on December 30, 2015. Therefore, 180 days from December 30th is June 27th. Then I am able to travel less than 90 days in this period? I'm not trying to be difficult, just get a complete understanding of the rules.

Yes, only 90 days in the previous 180.

There is a fine for slight overstays but no bar from my recollection. I think slightly longer overstays (like months) result in a multi-year ban.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Yes, only 90 days in the previous 180.

There is a fine for slight overstays but no bar from my recollection. I think slightly longer overstays (like months) result in a multi-year ban.

Okay, thank you very much. So I can go for the remaining days, come back home until, let's say Mid July, and have no problems with being denied. I plan on being able to bring my fiancée back home with me late August, if all goes well.

Timeline

Hi,

How was the experience at the medical fellow norwegians?

Did you have to have any extra vaccinations other than the ones from the children program?

I see they might require vaccines for hep A and B and rotavirus including others on the us gov sites,

but in the e-mail from the panel physichians he lists MMR and Tetanus, the latter within the last 10 years,

as the required ones.

I am looking forward to hear about your experiences.

Petter

Timeline

Hi,

Did you have to have any extra vaccinations other than the ones from the children program?

I see they might require vaccines for hep A and B and rotavirus including others on the us gov sites,

but in the e-mail from the panel physichians he lists MMR and Tetanus, the latter within the last 10 years,

as the required ones.

Petter

Adults only need MMR, TD, verbal confirmation of chickenpox, and flu in season if that is what you are asking.

3/26/18 Biometrics

The only reciprocity is the 90 day visa-free travel. How each country implements this is different. Norway is part of the Schengen area - A shared European external border, kind of how i.e. Kentucky and Texas share the same external U.S. border, Norway and i.e. Italy share the same external Schengen border.

In the U.S., the law states you're allowed to visit for 90 as a tourist.

In the Schengen area, the law states you're allowed to visit for 90 days as a tourist within a 180 day period.

In other words,

If you visit the U.S. for 90 days, go home, and return a week later for another 90 days, it is up to the CBP officer at the border to determine whether your new 90 days are still for tourism.

If you visit the Schengen area for 90 days, go home, and return a week later for another 90 days, you're already maxed out within that 180 day period.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-spot-20150329-story.html

Plain and simple, if you visit the Schengen area for 90 days as a tourist, you'll have to wait 90 days before you can return as a tourist.

On the flip side, Schengen border agents tend to question you a lot less than CBP officers do.

Edited by JayJayH

Timeline

The only reciprocity is the 90 day visa-free travel. How each country implements this is different. Norway is part of the Schengen area - A shared European external border, kind of how i.e. Kentucky and Texas share the same external U.S. border, Norway and i.e. Italy share the same external Schengen border.

In the U.S., the law states you're allowed to visit for 90 as a tourist.

In the Schengen area, the law states you're allowed to visit for 90 days as a tourist within a 180 day period.

In other words,

If you visit the U.S. for 90 days, go home, and return a week later for another 90 days, it is up to the CBP officer at the border to determine whether your new 90 days are still for tourism.

If you visit the Schengen area for 90 days, go home, and return a week later for another 90 days, you're already maxed out within that 180 day period.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-spot-20150329-story.html

Plain and simple, if you visit the Schengen area for 90 days as a tourist, you'll have to wait 90 days before you can return as a tourist.

I think I'm finally fully understanding the deal. Like I said my 180 day period started December 30th. Therefore, 180 days from then is June 27th. Within that period I can travel up to 90 days without a visa. So after June 27th, a new 180 day period starts wherein I'm allowed another 90 days visa free. This is all me traveling to the Schengen zone. Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

The reason I'm concerned is, I have a ticket confirmed and bought for July 18th and I want to make sure that I have no chance of being denied for going over my 90 day period. But since my first trip was December, I should be okay to travel then.

Edited by AdamPolston

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi,

as the required ones.

Petter

See N-O-L-A's answer.

They only list all those others because some people need them depending on their age. If you're physician listed MMR and tetanus that's all you need. Hep A is for children 12-23 months old, Hep B is for anyone under 18. Rotavirus you're given at 6 weeks to 8 month old babies. (These are for immigration purposes, you can of course get these if that's a personal preference for you)

I think I'm finally fully understanding the deal. Like I said my 180 day period started December 30th. Therefore, 180 days from then is June 27th. Within that period I can travel up to 90 days without a visa. So after June 27th, a new 180 day period starts wherein I'm allowed another 90 days visa free. This is all me traveling to the Schengen zone. Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

The reason I'm concerned is, I have a ticket confirmed and bought for July 18th and I want to make sure that I have no chance of being denied for going over my 90 day period. But since my first trip was December, I should be okay to travel then.

You should be fine. There's never any guarantee of being allowed into any country unless you're a citizen of that country, just like condoms do not guarantee unwanted pregnancy. They just state "you should be fine."

I really don't hear of a lot of Americans turned away. I have one friend who frequently visits the Netherlands for long period of time, twice a year. Last time he entered, the Dutch border agent who stamped his passport jokingly said "Why don't you just move here?" to which my friend answered "Give me a visa to do so and I'll move tomorrow." Passport stamped, "welcome to the Netherlands", 75 day trip, no problem.

"I have a friend..." is not really empirical evidence of anything. Bottom line though is that while U.S. CBP and Canadian CBSA tend to assume you're an intending immigrant until satisfied otherwise, European border agents tend to assume you're just a tourist until they have reason to suspect otherwise. While CBP can turn travelers away on somewhat substantiated "hunch", European border agents generally turn you away only with substantial evidence. For example if you entered Oslo Airport with all of your life belongings and 15 copies of your resume printed in Norwegian.

So to answer your question - If you went for 90 days in December, you would have left in March. If you return in July, you should be fine.

Edited by JayJayH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.