SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I think Finland's summer weather is nice. I don't like really hot weather. Although I know it can be humid at times in Finland during the summer and I hate humidity. I'd rather have dry heat. But I know most of the time it doesn't get super hot in Finland in the summer. Although I don't really like Finland winters. I grew up and spent most of my life in California, where it never snowed. I think snow is pretty, but only for a little while. I don't like being cold. I was getting so sick of snow when I was in Finland during the winter. I just wanted it to melt already. :lol: My mom said I am spoiled, she grew up in Michigan and had to deal with snow and extreme weather, and I grew up in a city that never got really cold or really hot. Best weather I have ever been in really. I wish I could still live in that area.

VJAvatar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hej, hvordan gaar det? :) I'm an American lady (impatiently) waiting on my Danish husband-to-be's approval from USCIS so he can come be with me finally!! :)

I wanted to ask...of those of you that had Danish fiancees, how was the interview process and the affidavit of support handled, i.e. what did you submit as proof of income? I have tax returns but I am not working at that job anymore and am now a tattoo artist. I quit the company I worked for about 3 weeks ago. Should I just send in tax returns and bank statements?

Also, please tell me how the interview was for your fiancee, my poor baby is so very nervous about this! lol

Mange tak :)

Lindsey

- Met online 2002

- Fell in love 2007

- Met in person for the first time August 2008, the flight to Copenhagen was long but worth it!

- Engaged May 17 2010...he proposed on a knee on the beach in Coronado, CA :)

I-129F sent to CA Service Center 06/01/2010...the wait begins.

Received return certified mail receipt stamped 06/03/2010 in the mail on 06/05/10

Received NOA1 06/08/2010

Touched! 07/09/2010

RFE received 11/09/2010, mailed back same day.

NOA2 approval 11/23/2010!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Petteri's visa was approved! He was only asked three questions during his interview! Which was "How did you guys meet?" and Petteri answered, "We met online, through a message board and we met in person in 2005 in California for the first time." Then he was asked, "Has your fiancee ever been in Finland with you?" and Petteri answered, "Yes she has, 3 times and 9 months in total. First in 2006, 2008, and 2009." And then lastly he was asked "Are you planning on moving to the United States?" and of course Petteri answered "Yes." (Really now? Did that have to be asked? That is the whole point of the visa.) :lol: So I'm happy. Petteri is planning to move in October or November. I'm hoping he'll end up deciding to move in October.

SanDan, I have a question for you. Do you and/or your husband have dual citizenship? I was wondering how that works...

VJAvatar.jpg

Petteri's visa was approved! He was only asked three questions during his interview! Which was "How did you guys meet?" and Petteri answered, "We met online, through a message board and we met in person in 2005 in California for the first time." Then he was asked, "Has your fiancee ever been in Finland with you?" and Petteri answered, "Yes she has, 3 times and 9 months in total. First in 2006, 2008, and 2009." And then lastly he was asked "Are you planning on moving to the United States?" and of course Petteri answered "Yes." (Really now? Did that have to be asked? That is the whole point of the visa.) :lol: So I'm happy. Petteri is planning to move in October or November. I'm hoping he'll end up deciding to move in October.

SanDan, I have a question for you. Do you and/or your husband have dual citizenship? I was wondering how that works...

Congrats BirdyGirl85! Sounds like a pretty standard interview in Helsinki. I'm glad to hear everything went well :)

I don't have dual citizenship yet and neither does my husband as that's not an option for him. My GC is still good for several more years but I could have applied for citizenship already. We just have other more important expenses at the moment. It's definitely something I've thought about and I'd rather apply for citizenship than renew the GC in the future. I think it'd make traveling and entering the country in this end easier and I wouldn't have to worry about traveling somewhere to get my Finnish passport renewed either.

3dflags_fin0001-0001a.gifSanna and Daniel's journey3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

December 13, 2007 - I-751 submitted to NSC (removing of conditions fun begins...)

December 22 - Received a rejection notice because the form was not "properly signed". Package itself was not returned.

January 1, 2008 - Received packet back from CSC. They are requesting we resubmit the packet (which is already organized by CSC) with a properly signed form.

January 2 - Packet resubmitted to California.

January 12 - NOA1 received (dated 01/07/2008)

January 19 - Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 01/15/2008)

February 1 - Biometrics

March 11 - Approved! Card production ordered (notified via e-mail).

March 20, 2008 - New card arrived in the mail :)

Done until 2018 :)

For more details including K1 and AOS journies check out "Our story" in my profile =)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

KiwiDK, I moved here from Ireland, and mostly shipped clothes, and some items of sentimental values, and computer related things.

Shipping was pretty expensive so in the end what we did was that my spouse flew to pick me, we had 2 big suitcases each, and hand luggage - an extra luggage wiht AA was $ 50. That came to up to around 10 kg in hand + 2 x piece [under 32 kg] per person = quite some load.

For other shipping, slower version of UPS was cheaper than other forms for things over 100 kg (but not a full house. Just some stuff).

For up to 100 or 120 kg, the mail would have been best. I recommend you to ask in the Danish post office for shipping rates - it doesn't have to be the fastest. Slowest will do, so economy shipping for boxes if they have something like that available.

One more option: if your friends or family visit you, make them bring 1 luggage at a time of your things. If there is no hurry that can work too.

Anyway, other update. Finally AOS is over too - so got I-551 stamp. Yii-haa. That was on day 1304 from when the immigration hell began, so now I can quit with the day counts.

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I guess there's not many Scandinavians around, these days?

*looks around*

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Hi Llama, I guess other no or no one just ends up updating this thread.

So... how did you end up with a Norwegian (or American, depending on which one are you)?

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

Timeline

I'm the Norwegian, my husband's the American. Once upon a time I went on vacation. I met my husband, and after flying back and forth for a year ans visiting, I decided to go to school here to be closer to him and to see if this relationship was worth giving a shot. XD Obviously, it was, heh. :D

Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hei alle sammen! Nice to see some Scandinavians here. Looks like this forum has been pretty quiet lately, though. I (Amy) am American and my husband Håkon is from Norway. We're most of the way through the CR1 process, so hopefully he will be here soon. :)

Married: Sept 4 2010

USCIS (124 days)

I-130 sent: Nov 22 2010

NOA1: Dec 9 2010

Touched: Jan 10 2011

Touched: Mar 23 2011

NOA2: Apr 12 2011

NVC (27 days)

Case entered: Apr 26 2011

Received DS-3032 and AOS invoice by email: Apr 29 2011

Emailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee: Apr 29 2011

Received IV invoice and paid IV fee: May 3 2011

Mailed AOS and IV packets: May 7 2011

SIF and case complete: May 23 2011

Medical/Embassy

X-ray: Jun 6 2011

Medical exam: Jun 8 2011

Interview: Jun 22 2011 - approved

Received visa: Jun 24 2011

POE

Jul 15 2011

Total days from NOA1 to interview: 195

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Timeline

Tjo hei!

Kan nokon her fortelje meg kor mykje den medisinke undersøkinga kostar i Noreg? Og kor mykje må ein betale for intervjuet og mottatt visum?

(Hope its alright that I posted the questions in Norwegian).

Takk for hjelpa! :-)

Timeline

Hvilket visum?

--

ROC

03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

Timeline

Det har jeg ikke hørt om, men så gikk jeg ikke veien om K-1, heller - jeg vet at etter man har fått K-1 visumet, entret USA og giftet seg, må man søke om Adjustment of Status, som koster mer penger, men betale for selve visumet vet jeg ikke...? Prv å spørre på Engelsk inne på K-1 forumet? :)

--

ROC

03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.