SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

What did you guys do when you moved to the US? Didn't you have to notify the state of your residence?

I've already notified my home country of my move to the states but it just seems odd I don't have to notify the state I now live in (NJ).

:)

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

08/17/2015 - I-129F petition/packet sent off
12/17/2015 - Visa Interview in Sweden. We're APPROVED!!!
01/14/2016 - P.O.E. @ Newark International Airport
03/21/2016 - Got married @ town hall
03/22/2016 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent off
08/03/2016 - Became a Conditional Permanent Resident
05/07/2018 - ROC packet sent off

06/12/2019 - ROC approved (no RFE, no transfer, no interview)

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

What did you guys do when you moved to the US? Didn't you have to notify the state of your residence?

I went to do my SSN application the day after I arrived so I guess that would count as notifying someone about my location. Also, DMV got my address when I did the application for driver's license. Outside of that, I haven't seen any requirements for address registration (I fall outside the Selective Service registration).

Timeline

I went to do my SSN application the day after I arrived so I guess that would count as notifying someone about my location. Also, DMV got my address when I did the application for driver's license. Outside of that, I haven't seen any requirements for address registration (I fall outside the Selective Service registration).

Okay, thanks for the reply :) Just don't want to get into trouble lol. Still waiting to show up on the I94 travel history and then I'll be applying for my SSN as well.

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

Timeline

I've already notified my home country of my move to the states but it just seems odd I don't have to notify the state I now live in (NJ).

I'm kind of confused by the question, but no you don't notify any US state that you've moved there, short of changing a driver's license and/or car registrations within a specified time period. They don't really keep a list of people who live in the state per se.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

When you go and get a Drivers license or a State ID, they will know you are there :)

OH LOOK PICTURES - https://500px.com/sorenhelmer

K3 Visa Journey (That turned out to end up being IR1)

Marriage: 2008-03-25

USCIS:
I-130 Sent: 2015-09-10
I-130 Received: 2015-10-15
NOA1 : 2015-10-18
NOA2 : 2015-10-29

NVC:
NVC Received Case (I-130): 2015-11-12
NVC Case Number Received: 2015-12-03
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 2015-12-03
Submit DS-261: 2015-12-03
Pay AOS Bill: 2015-12-04
Receive IV Bill: 2015-12-08
Pay IV Bill: 2015-12-08
Send AOS Package: 2015-12-11
Send IV Package: 2015-12-11
Scan date: someplace around Dec 21st, nvc was not really shearing.

CC: 2016-01-29
Medical Examination: 2016-01-18
Embassy Interview: 2016-03-21 - NEW DATE 2016-03-02

AP: 2016-03-02

Issued: 2016-03-08

- They asked for more papers

Issued Again: 2016-03-10

- No new must be good news :rolleyes:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

When you go and get a Drivers license or a State ID, they will know you are there :)

No not really as there is no requirement that you update your address on the ID and you may have multiple ID's from different states. And even if you keep that updated it's still not a way for the state to know who lives in the state. Last week my husband got an email that he has been summoned for jury duty in the state of Florida and he has not lived there for 5-6 years so he had to prove to the state of Florida that he moved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I know, it's so weird that they don't have an official register. :huh2: But no, you don't have to register yourself anywhere.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Does anybody know what day(s) of the week they have K-1 interviews at the embassy in Sthlm? I assume it's not Monday to Friday.

love4.gif One day, we will never have to say goodbye, only goodnight.
12/21/2015 i-129f packet sent
12/28/2015 delivery confirmation
01/04/2016 NOA1 email & sms
01/08/2016 NOA1 hard copy

Timeline

Does anybody know what day(s) of the week they have K-1 interviews at the embassy in Sthlm? I assume it's not Monday to Friday.

Thursdays :)

Timeline

Thursdays :)

Oh perfect, thank you! :)

love4.gif One day, we will never have to say goodbye, only goodnight.
12/21/2015 i-129f packet sent
12/28/2015 delivery confirmation
01/04/2016 NOA1 email & sms
01/08/2016 NOA1 hard copy

Sooo.. My interview in Stockholm is tomorrow. Super nervous. I suffer from social anxiety and one of my biggest triggers include having to do a 1 on 1 conversation with "authority". I'm scared I'll come across as suspiciously nervous because of this >.<

I have a question.
I hear people sometimes mention a packet of instructions etc that they get after booking the appointment. I haven't gotten anything since I scheduled my appointment about a month ago. The only thing we got was a checklist sent to my fiance's email in November, of things to make sure I have/have done before I book the interview. I hope everything is in order? o.o Maybe it differs from country to country? Or maybe I simply misunderstood; it wouldn't be the first time!

For evidence of relationship I am bringing plane tickets and itineraries, the (very few; we are kind of camera shy) photos of us and screenshots of Skype logs from the past year. Will it suffice? :/ I feel like it's somewhat lacking, even though it's about 50 A4 pages, haha.

Any good last minute advice from any of you who have gone through this? >.<

I-751 sent: 08/09/18 @ CSC
I-751 received: 09/21/18 @ AZ

Check cashed: 09/25/18 @ AZ

I-751 NOA1 received: 11/19/18 @ TSC (SRC)

Biometrics apppointment date: waived 04/15/19
Case approved: 09/19/19 (no interview)

Timeline

Sooo.. My interview in Stockholm is tomorrow. Super nervous. I suffer from social anxiety and one of my biggest triggers include having to do a 1 on 1 conversation with "authority". I'm scared I'll come across as suspiciously nervous because of this >.<

I have a question.

I hear people sometimes mention a packet of instructions etc that they get after booking the appointment. I haven't gotten anything since I scheduled my appointment about a month ago. The only thing we got was a checklist sent to my fiance's email in November, of things to make sure I have/have done before I book the interview. I hope everything is in order? o.o Maybe it differs from country to country? Or maybe I simply misunderstood; it wouldn't be the first time!

For evidence of relationship I am bringing plane tickets and itineraries, the (very few; we are kind of camera shy) photos of us and screenshots of Skype logs from the past year. Will it suffice? :/ I feel like it's somewhat lacking, even though it's about 50 A4 pages, haha.

It'll be fine, don't worry so much. I also have social anxiety and tagged along to the interview and whilst the COs are probably technically authority figures, they aren't intimidating in the way you are probably thinking and the interviews are just conducted at a window rather than some sort of interrogation in a closed room. It is like getting tickets at a movie theater or bus station or something in terms of actual stress level when you are there. I wish people could take pictures because it is definitely less intimidating than I though it would be, especially with how scary the embassy looks like from the outside. :thumbs: Also, everyone there was nervous, including my husband who never is. They expect it.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

I have a question.

I was really nervous too since it's so important and very "official" at the embassy however the "interview" itself is very casual and the officers are very nice :) You'll be in and out in no time!

Timeline

I third this, I get really anxious in these situations too but the people at the embassy were very friendly and would joke around during the interview and make you feel at ease :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have a question.

One of my closest friends suffer from anxiety as well. It's usually triggered by not having control or not knowing what's gonna happen, which tend to be new situations, right?! Did you read the reviews for the US embassy in Stockholm. There are really good reviews there explaining how to walk about the embassy and the questions they ask, so you can really be prepared.

The people there are really nice and friendly and will tell you exactly what you need to do and where to go. Basically, once you've cleared security, you follow the sidewalk to the left until you get to a glass door. Once you go through the glass doors, there are security officers there asking if you're there for a non-immigrant visa. Tell them nope, immigrant visa, and they'll point you to window 7, which will be on your left side and all the way in the corner. Then you just stand by window 7 and wait till the Swedish person comes and collects your documents. Don't worry if it feels like forever, if you get the "lady", she usually don't show up until exactly 8.30 am.

On the CR/IR-1 visa, we get an email from the embassy about a week before the interview. Might be different for K-1 visas.

Your evidence should be enough. Bring some pictures with family too, so it's not just of you and your fiance. They like to see that there's also interaction with the family. I brought a variety of evidence like both old and new passport to show all my trips, photo album, email logs and selection of emails, copy of power of attorney, phone records and some other stuff too. The only thing he looked at were a couple of emails and I flipped through some pages in the photo album for him to see, that was it though, but then again I visit a lot so that was always gonna be our strongest bona fida evidence. So just focus on highlighting your strongest evidence, whatever that might be.

Not sure if it's the same person handling all the immigration interviews but the man who handled mine was very kind and professional. Honestly, I was so nervous I acted like a retard in my interview (no offense to anyone), I even started crying because I was missing my husband so much, and he was so kind and waited for me to calm down. See, I've set the bar for you right there. Get through the interview without crying and you've done better than me. :D Seriously though, it really is nothing to worry about, they really are very nice and understanding and it's more like having a conversation than being interview.

Good luck.

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.