IndustriousAnt

US Green Card AND Canadian Permanent Resident

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had surgery on my legs and both feet by one particular surgeon here in Montreal and I would really rather not use a new surgeon in the States as I have been a patient of my Canadian surgeon for over 10 years now. Thats a real concern for me, as well as my doctors that I have had here my whole life.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I've had surgery on my legs and both feet by one particular surgeon here in Montreal and I would really rather not use a new surgeon in the States as I have been a patient of my Canadian surgeon for over 10 years now. Thats a real concern for me, as well as my doctors that I have had here my whole life.

I totally see what you mean and can definitely understand that... but I think healthcare/leaving Dr.'s we know and love is just one of the downsides of immigrating to a new country and comes with the decision of immigration. I LOVE my current Dr., she is just 100% awesome in everyway... but knew as soon as I wanted to live in the U.S. I would forfeit my right to have her as my Dr. for future.

I don't envy your situation and I hope that you figure out what is best for you. Good luck :star:

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am going to provide a different voice. From my understanding, if you maintain residential ties outside of the US then the US has serious issues with your intent to be a permanent resident within the US. Taking up residence outside of the US with the intent to maintain that residence is considered grounds of abandonment of the green card. You can't 'live' and obtain residential benefits in two countries at the same time if one of those countries is the US.

Regarding health coverage, again, if you are maintaining Quebec residency enough to qualify for health coverage then the US immigration is going to have serious questions about whether you are really a permanent resident in the US or not. Maintaining or taking up residence in another country cancels the green card.

Regarding taxation, which country would you declare as your permanent residence for each country's taxes. If you declare Canada for Quebec/Canada taxes, then that would effectively cancel your US residency. If you declare US then you would be taxed at the out of country rate and deal with the international tax office. You will definitely want to talk to a cross-border tax expert.

It isn't a simple matter of spending a few months here and a few months there and living in both countries. You are going to have to make a decision one way or the other. The problem isn't so much with Canadian immigration, it is with US immigration. I think you need to do a lot more research still.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I am going to provide a different voice. From my understanding, if you maintain residential ties outside of the US then the US has serious issues with your intent to be a permanent resident within the US. Taking up residence outside of the US with the intent to maintain that residence is considered grounds of abandonment of the green card. You can't 'live' and obtain residential benefits in two countries at the same time if one of those countries is the US.

Regarding health coverage, again, if you are maintaining Quebec residency enough to qualify for health coverage then the US immigration is going to have serious questions about whether you are really a permanent resident in the US or not. Maintaining or taking up residence in another country cancels the green card.

Regarding taxation, which country would you declare as your permanent residence for each country's taxes. If you declare Canada for Quebec/Canada taxes, then that would effectively cancel your US residency. If you declare US then you would be taxed at the out of country rate and deal with the international tax office. You will definitely want to talk to a cross-border tax expert.

It isn't a simple matter of spending a few months here and a few months there and living in both countries. You are going to have to make a decision one way or the other. The problem isn't so much with Canadian immigration, it is with US immigration. I think you need to do a lot more research still.

Which is why I bolded the part: Your U.S. permanent residence being considered as abandoned for absences shorter than 1 year, if you take up residence in another country. in post #28, but it appears to have been disregarded. Maybe it wasn't the kind of reponse they wanted to read. Maybe they will read yours and take heed.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Thank you to everyone for your insight. I will definitely be looking at all options but it looks like the way to go will be to just move to Florida and give up my Canadian residency and then obtain American citizenship.

From there we can always move back to Canada as a couple and get him his Canadian citizenship as well so that we can they move back and forth between the 2 countries with no problems whatsoever.

Timeline

domegirl, that sounds like the most realistic plan. It is definitely do-able.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Other Timeline

There are tax laws as well that prohibit being resident of two countries. You're either resident or you're not, you cannot have 2 tax homes. And why would you want to really? I'm going to hazard a guess that the tax rate in Quebec is probably twice that of Florida. Honesly, trying to illegally keep one's provincial healthcare active by paying 3 times as much tax as you need to is a bit crazed, no matter how much you like your doctor.

I suggest you go find yourself a copy of a book titled "The Border Guide - A Guide to Living Across the Border". All the tax information you need pretty much. And when you decide you can't understand it, find yourself a qualified cross border tax accountant to explain it. ;) One who knows the tax laws in both countries, and understands the tax treaty as well.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• 5 years later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

i know this is an older post but Im in question on the same subject ............. very much so I would like to know what you found out on this same issue right now...... thank ... sorry on n old but this only place i find this same quetion

Timeline

Markgina,

What issue are you exactly concerned about? Trying to maintain Canadian health coverage while living in the US or obtaining appropriate health coverage when you move to the US.

The issues regarding maintaining Canadian health coverage when you are a US Permanent resident haven't changed in the years since this thread was first started. You still cannot do it.

If you can provide a clearer understanding of what you want to know, I can then split off all the recent posts from this 5 year old thread and our members can discuss your exact situation and provide you with more specific information to help you with whatever issues you are facing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status

Permanent residents who depart and remain outside the U.S. for more than 365 contiguous days risk losing their status and might need to undergo the entire petition and immigrant visa process anew if they wish to re-enter the U.S. as permanent residents. Permanent residents who obtain re-entry permits from USCIS prior to their departure from the U.S. may remain overseas for up to 2 years. Permanent residents who fail to file income tax returns while living outside the U.S. or who declare themselves as "non-immigrants" on tax returns may also lose their status

People have been misunderstanding this for years.

The rule is you need to at all times maintain US residency. You can leave to visit outside the US, but in order to keep your residency and Green Card (Permanent or Temp) you MUST keep your US ties.

Anything under 6 months, the INS has to prove you broke residency in order to revoke your GC status. After 6 months, the work to prove you maintained residency now shifts to you to prove you did not break residency status. That is what the 6 months means. People have been mistaking that as saying you can stay out and live outside the US and work somewhere else for 6 months a year and that is the mistake when people come back and next thing they realize they have their status revoked.

Remember, if you live outside the US and the INS can prove you are no longer maintaining US residency, then you are at risk of losing your status, be it one month or 9 months outside. There have been several cases of this happening on this board in the past few years of people out for under 6 months find themselves to be under removal proceedings because they make this mistake.

Anything over a year outside the US, you need a re-entry permit or you lose your status as well.

So with that, I hope this clarifys things so that you don't accidentally assume the rules wrong and end up facing a disastrous outcome...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

People have been misunderstanding this for years.

The rule is you need to at all times maintain US residency. You can leave to visit outside the US, but in order to keep your residency and Green Card (Permanent or Temp) you MUST keep your US ties.

Anything under 6 months, the INS has to prove you broke residency in order to revoke your GC status. After 6 months, the work to prove you maintained residency now shifts to you to prove you did not break residency status. That is what the 6 months means. People have been mistaking that as saying you can stay out and live outside the US and work somewhere else for 6 months a year and that is the mistake when people come back and next thing they realize they have their status revoked.

Remember, if you live outside the US and the INS can prove you are no longer maintaining US residency, then you are at risk of losing your status, be it one month or 9 months outside. There have been several cases of this happening on this board in the past few years of people out for under 6 months find themselves to be under removal proceedings because they make this mistake.

Anything over a year outside the US, you need a re-entry permit or you lose your status as well.

So with that, I hope this clarifys things so that you don't accidentally assume the rules wrong and end up facing a disastrous outcome...

This post should be made into a sticky thread since the residency requirements have been misinterpreted so many times.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This post should be made into a sticky thread since the residency requirements have been misinterpreted so many times.

Yes unlike traffic tickets (the other topic that confuses people to no end), this one has a direct and possible big negative outcome as the INS doesn't care if you didn't understand know the rules even though it's right there on the governments website (posted it a some time ago in the regular immigration forum on here), but maybe I'll track it down again and post the link...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.