IndustriousAnt

US Green Card AND Canadian Permanent Resident

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you again Trailmix for all that new info you posted. I would never be out of the U.S. for more than 6 months out of the year. That would be way too long away from my future husband. And I wouldn't be out of the U.S. for 6 consecutive months either. More like 2 months at a time.

And my apology to TheTreble. I now see how I wrote that may have been confusing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's okay :thumbs:

It's a very interesting topic. I'm not really sure how any one could pull off being a resident in both countries because of the amount of days but hey, if you can manage to do it, you go girl!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It's okay :thumbs:

It's a very interesting topic. I'm not really sure how any one could pull off being a resident in both countries because of the amount of days but hey, if you can manage to do it, you go girl!

It's actually easy - if we are just talking about maintaining your permanent residency (as in immigration) status in both countries. My Husband is a PR of both countries. Since he is in the U.S. with me - it is the same as if we are living in Canada - it still counts. As long as you are spending most of your time in the U.S. - no problem.

And SapphireDreams, you are totally right as well. I wouldn't be worried about the healthcare in this case if possible because I would retain my Canadian one and be on my future husbands plan from his work in the States. Property taxes also would not be a problem as my future husband already owns our home in Florida.

However, once you become a US resident I don't see how you can "legally" keep Canadian medicare.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Timeline

I know the law in Quebec is that I have to live here 183 days out of the year to retain my Medicare. If it came down to it, thats would I would do.

Trailmix was right when he said to maintain your permanent resident status in the U.S. you cannot be gone from the States for more than 365 days which would never happen. That would mean I would be living 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the U.S.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
And SapphireDreams, you are totally right as well. I wouldn't be worried about the healthcare in this case if possible because I would retain my Canadian one and be on my future husbands plan from his work in the States. Property taxes also would not be a problem as my future husband already owns our home in Florida.

However, once you become a US resident I don't see how you can "legally" keep Canadian medicare.

Sly

Yes, that could be very tough - for instance in Alberta you must be there for 6 months of each year to maintain coverage.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
I know the law in Quebec is that I have to live here 183 days out of the year to retain my Medicare. If it came down to it, thats would I would do.

Trailmix was right when he said to maintain your permanent resident status in the U.S. you cannot be gone from the States for more than 365 days which would never happen. That would mean I would be living 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the U.S.

If you have health coverage in the U.S., why would you even need Canadian coverage at all?

I see what you want to do, but I just don't see the point. You can work remotely with your business and still "house" it in the U.S. - I've seen lot's of people do this. You can visit Canada as much as you want, not going over the 6 month mark no problem, which is what you want to do, and you can receive medical care in Canada, which would be paid for by your U.S. provider...

So I don't see the point of paying taxes twice... only to reap the benefits half the time.

If you ever decide to come back to Canada permanently, it's easy to get your healthcare back, you would just starting paying taxes to Canada again. By becoming a U.S. citizen, you would avoid any loss of residency there.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Really??? I can come back to Canada and have a surgery and have my U.S. health provider pay for that??

How is that possible? If thats the case then that would be great as I do not want to lose my surgeons here in Montreal. We already don't have enough of them here in Quebec and the ones I have I trust with my life.

Really??? I can come back to Canada and have a surgery and have my U.S. health provider pay for that??

How is that possible? If thats the case then that would be great as I do not want to lose my surgeons here in Montreal. We already don't have enough of them here in Quebec and the ones I have I trust with my life.

That would fall under out of country insurance and would only be for emergencies.

Sly

I think you would risk getting into issues by being "on the fence" so to speak.

Sly

Timeline

Ah well, still loads of time to figure it out. My NOA2 date is still not going to be sent out til at least July so there is plenty of time to keep hashing out the real plan. Whatever ends up happening, all I know is that I just want to be married already. After 2 years of dating and 17 years of being best friends I'm more than ready to start my life with him.....lol

Timeline

I meant more along the lines of emergencies. Your main/regular healthcare would stay in the U.S. - but honestly the U.S. medical system is great if you have coverage. They have the best Dr.'s in the world if you can afford it/have coverage. Canada loses amazing Dr.'s to the U.S. everyday I'm sure.

But who knows, maybe your U.S. health coverage provider would pay for an elective type non emergency procedure in Canada - heck it might even work out cheaper for them. You'd just have to check and look into it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Ah well, still loads of time to figure it out. My NOA2 date is still not going to be sent out til at least July so there is plenty of time to keep hashing out the real plan. Whatever ends up happening, all I know is that I just want to be married already. After 2 years of dating and 17 years of being best friends I'm more than ready to start my life with him.....lol

Yes, aside from taxes you need to weigh all the pros and cons of living in one country versus the other. Tax liabilites and tax laws are an animal on there own.

There are many personal and financial aspects to consider for where you really want to live. As you said as long as you are with your soul mate thats the main thing. Just be wary of taking any risks that could jeopardize your plans. Green cards can be revoked and governments will take whatever money they believe is their's to keep.

Sly

Here is an interesting publication from USCIS regarding the need for reentry permits.

According to this publication, if you take up residence in another country even for absences shorter than 1 year, your Permanent Resident Card becomes invalid for re-entry unless you have a reentry permit.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments...oday_Dec_05.pdf

A re-entry permit can help prevent two types of problems: (1) Your Permanent Resident Card becoming technically invalid for re-entry into the United States (U.S.), if you are absent from the U.S. for 1 year or more. (2) Your U.S. permanent residence being considered as abandoned for absences shorter than 1 year, if you take up residence in another country.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow this was very confusing at first. Had to read through everything to finally figure out what was going on.

To maintain US residency you must prove and show you are maintaing it. Home, taxes, bills paid etc. Just because you are going back and forth you still need to convince the border guards that you have not been abandoning US residency by actually living in Canada.

Don't know what Canada's residency requirements are but in the US you need to maintain a min of 6 months (if you ever plan on getting US citizenship, then this will change and being out of the US more then 6 months a year will break your residency status).

So I think you will continue to have problems crossing over like you are trying to get each others PR status. Do you both own homes and such in both countries?

Remember the INS can revoke your Green Card if they believe you have abandoned it. This is generally by not showing strong enough residency ties to the US.

Best way to do this is to remain in the US and follow all the rules to become eligible for US citizenship (few years down the road at this point), then once you get that, then move to Canada and do the same for your husband. Once you are a citizen you are no longer bound to meet residency requirements that the Green Card has...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I meant more along the lines of emergencies. Your main/regular healthcare would stay in the U.S. - but honestly the U.S. medical system is great if you have coverage. They have the best Dr.'s in the world if you can afford it/have coverage. Canada loses amazing Dr.'s to the U.S. everyday I'm sure.

But who knows, maybe your U.S. health coverage provider would pay for an elective type non emergency procedure in Canada - heck it might even work out cheaper for them. You'd just have to check and look into it.

I agree with this. I've already seen so many pluses to the US healthcare system - if you have insurance obviously. But I notice the differences and understand now why so many Canadian docs leave to come here.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.