Angela & Paul

How to get auto insurance for foreign spouse?

44 posts in this topic

All insurance is regulated by the individual states, so the rules will vary. Links to the various state insurance boards.

http://www.carinsurance.com/Regulators.aspx

To Paul: Here's some good info for you about CA.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content25967.aspx

And a link about driver's licensing of aliens

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content46189.aspx

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Talked to Progressive today about the excluded driver thing. She said it means that my car is not covered if he is driving because he is excluded from the policy.

K1
January 14, 2008: I29F Sent
May 20, 2008: INTERVIEW!!! (127 days)
September 27, 2008: Liam Arrives USA (POE LAX)
November 7, 2008: Wedding smile.png

AOS/EAD/AP
February 4, 2009: AOS Packet Sent
March 4, 2009: Biometrics Appointment
March 5, 2009: Case Transferred to the CSC
April 6, 2009: EAD/AP/AOS Approved
April 15, 2009: Received GREEN CARD!!!

Removing Conditions
January 5, 2011: Mailed I-751
January 6, 2011: I-751 received and signed for
January 11, 2011: Check Cashed
January 7, 2011: NOA date
January 14, 2011: NOA Received
February 10, 2011: Called USCIS requesting update (beyond 30 day timeline for biometrics letter)
February 14, 2011: Biometrics letter received
March 9, 2011: Biometrics Appt
April 6, 2011: GC Expirtation Date
June 24, 2011: 10yr GC Approved!
June 30, 2011: Received Approval Letter
July 12, 2011: 10yr GC received in the mail

Naturalization

December 31, 2013: Mailed N-400

January 2, 2014: Application received by Dallas office

January 14, 2014: Biometrics Notification

January 27, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

February 4, 2014: Testing & Interview Case Status

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Talked to Progressive today about the excluded driver thing. She said it means that my car is not covered if he is driving because he is excluded from the policy.

So what does it mean?

Car insurance is about insuring cars (yours and whomever car you damage) and people (you and whomever else you injure).

If not adding Angela to my auto insurance means the insurance company wil pay for all damages to people and cars, except my car, I don't care if she's not on it.

If not adding her means I would have to pay the 100,000's of $ of medical care for someone she may injure, that's an entrirely different story.

Our Timeline below - CA Service Center - Consulate: Rio de Janeiro - Local Office: San Jose, CA

October 5, 2006: We meet for the first time!

March 8, 2008: I-129F K1-Fiancee Visa Application mailed

October 27, 2008: K1 VISA RECEIVED !! (233 days - 7 MONTHS 19 DAYS)

January 17, 2009: Entry - POE: JFK w/EAD (315 days)

February 6, 2009: WEDDING! (335 days)

March 24, 2009: Sent AOS, EAD, AP package to Chicago Lock box (381 days - 1 YEAR 16 DAYS)

June 30, 2009: Interview in San Jose, CA (479 days) - NOT approved, Sworn statement required

AUGUST 14, 2009: GREEN CARD IN HAND (524 days - 1 YEAR 5 MONTHS 6 DAYS)

May 31, 2011: Sent I-751 Removal of Conditions package (1179 days - 3 YEARS 2 MONTHS 23 DAYS)

January 25, 2012: 10-Year Green Card Received (1418 days - 3 YEARS 10 MONTHS 17 DAYS)

Car insurance is about risk. Risk is defined by the driver(s), specific vehicle(s),vehicle location, annual mileage and credit risk. Your premium is a derivative of all these factors, crunched with software to develop a risk rating.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

So what does it mean?

Car insurance is about insuring cars (yours and whomever car you damage) and people (you and whomever else you injure).

If not adding Angela to my auto insurance means the insurance company wil pay for all damages to people and cars, except my car, I don't care if she's not on it.

If not adding her means I would have to pay the 100,000's of $ of medical care for someone she may injure, that's an entrirely different story.

Angela & Paul I think it is very odd your insurance company/agent will not let you add your spouse to your policy even though she has a license. Is she driving now? It all depends on your insurance contract, some state only people listed on the policy can drive and others have automatic coverage for spouses as long as you two reside in the same household.

I work in the insurance industry and in CA rates are based on how long a person has had their license (regardless of age) , I am sure it depends on if they count her foreign license as having a license or only stateside licenses count.

Due to clientele I have, I see a lot of foreign licenses and my company has never had a problem with a foreign licenses as long as the person gets a US DL within a year.

Hope this helps!

Edited by TiffandDai

I-751 Removal of Conditions

01/10/08 - Application sent to VSC

01/22/08 - Application Received

02/02/08 - Biometrics done

01/29/09 - I-551 stamped in passport at Tampa ofc

04/25/09 - RFE received

04/27/09 - RFE Sent back to VSC with additional documentation

05/11/09 - Approval notice received

05/18/09 - GreenCard arrived!!!

I have my drivers permit. The first insurance company we used I was on the insurance before I had my permit as we was married. When I changed to Geico im on the insurance as the main driver although my wife uses the car all the time it was cheaper for me to be main driver for some crazy reason.

Just FYI, I checked with Progressive (in Oregon) about this.

First off, my fiance has a valid foreign license and will drive on it until she is able to get a US one. If your fiance doesn't already have a license, I suspect things are different.

With one car insured, adding my fiance, once married, will raise my rates around 40% UNTIL she has a US license for 12 months. At that point, my rates will actually be about 5% lower than they are today, with just me insured.

So while she is driving on the foreign license and waiting for 12 months to pass with a US one, we will pay more, but its only temporary.

(this is pretty standard - I lived in France and paid high auto insurance premiums because I had no history there).

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Timeline

I do not know about CA, who does?, but my insurance company stated that as long as the person has a valid drivers license, regardless of country of issue, and they had permission to drive, they were covered.

Specificly related her situation and they said it was not a problem, her Brazilian drivers license is valid until she is eleigble the obtain a state drivers license.

So what does it mean?

Timeline

I remember a while back that I had to add my son to the policy for him to be insured. I have Mercury Insurance.

I called the DMV and they confirmed that here in CA they look at the EAD document as proof that the driver is legal and thus will not give Angela a driver's licence (temporary or not) until she gets a valid EAD (probably within 3 months).

I called my broker who didn't know much. I told her that I want Mercury to insure my wife with her Brazilian driver's licence until policy renewal (August) and I want it in writing. At that point, I am guessing Angela will have her CA driver's license

I also told the broker that if Mercury denies my request, I will change insurance company. It seems Geico is more receptive to foreign driver's license.

I do not mind paying 40% more for 3 months at that point. What's $100 when the USCIS asks for $1,010 for a green card :)

I will keep you posted, I am sure the issue will pop up for others in CA.

Our Timeline below - CA Service Center - Consulate: Rio de Janeiro - Local Office: San Jose, CA

March 24, 2009: Sent AOS, EAD, AP package to Chicago Lock box (381 days - 1 YEAR 16 DAYS)

June 30, 2009: Interview in San Jose, CA (479 days) - NOT approved, Sworn statement required

May 31, 2011: Sent I-751 Removal of Conditions package (1179 days - 3 YEARS 2 MONTHS 23 DAYS)

January 25, 2012: 10-Year Green Card Received (1418 days - 3 YEARS 10 MONTHS 17 DAYS)

You can't exclude the person and then let them ride on your coverage; think about it, then no one would ever add their kids and pay the extra premiums.

We added C. once he had his CT license, but I think GEICO would have let us add him sooner.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

I called Geico today, they accept foreign driver licenses here in CA.

They said if Angela can have a document from Brazil showing she has a clean record, they will give her the good driver discount.

I did a head-to-head comparison between Mercury - my current insurer - and Geico.

I have two vehicles and Mercury's yearly price would be $974, Geico $1,316 (no good driver discount for the foreign spouse).

Geico is $1,186 with the good driver discount.

I have the Geico quote on hold, ready to switch if Mercury does not abide by my request (to accept her Brazilian license). I can always switch back to a cheaper insurance once she has her CA license.

Better check again. Car insurance is about insuring drivers in HOUSEHOLDS where the vehicle is registered. Wanna test that "car only" theory? Let your uninsured teenager drive (with your permission), have an accident, and see if they cover it.

We got the permit, added my wife, which allowed her to drive. After driving, she passed the driving test and got the license. Same way a newly licensed teenage driver would have been treated. Our policy went UP about 15%.

So what does it mean?

i don't get it.

I called Geico today, they accept foreign driver licenses here in CA.

They said if Angela can have a document from Brazil showing she has a clean record, they will give her the good driver discount.

I did a head-to-head comparison between Mercury - my current insurer - and Geico.

I have two vehicles and Mercury's yearly price would be $974, Geico $1,316 (no good driver discount for the foreign spouse).

I have the Geico quote on hold, ready to switch if Mercury does not abide by my request (to accept her Brazilian license). I can always switch back to a cheaper insurance once she has her CA license.

Please verify with geico on the pricing. We have two vehicles under my husband name and he added my name in the car insurance (using my foreign license). We are paying less than 1000. A few hundred dollars cheaper than Mercury's quote.

Edited by rheanick

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Please verify with geico on the pricing. We have two vehicles under my husband name and he added my name in the car insurance (using my foreign license). We are paying less than 1000. A few hundred dollars cheaper than Mercury's quote.

With the # of variables that determine pricing, the price each person pays will vary quite a bit.

I've even found that over a few years, the price charged by each company varies. For several years, Progressive was cheaper for me. Then I did a price comparison (recommended to do every 3 years) and found Geico to be cheaper. Since then, Geico has always been cheaper for me.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I found a solution with my broker's help.

Since I have a multi-policy discount with Mercury (auto + home), I am staying with Mercury.

Angela will go on a temporary Progressive policy for one of my car only. Our total will be $1,232 (per year). In a couple of months, when she gets her EAD and CA driver license, we'll both go to Mercury at a rate of $974.

In summary for all of you CA 'immigrants', Geico and Progressive will accept to cover the foreign spouse with a foreign driver's license.

On an individual basis, Geico was 12% cheaper than Progressive, but Geico is a direct insurance, i.e. they do not go through brokers. And assuming Angela stays with Progressive just 3 months, it's $20 more than Geico. Not a big deal.

Hope this helps others...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.