lquin

Medical Exam

7 posts in this topic

Okay.. Im married to a USC and are going through the I-130 process... Im currently in my late twenties, when I was around 20-21 I was prescribed anti-depressants and took them for a few months..

Will this come up / cause a problem on the medical ?

Many people have suffered depression at different stages of their lives due to circumstances/situations. I had a a short bout of depression a few years back due to a situation and whilst I told the doctor conducting the medical, he didnt even mention it on my forms.

Here is a thread where a similar question is asked http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8078&hl

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Many people have suffered depression at different stages of their lives due to circumstances/situations. I had a a short bout of depression a few years back due to a situation and whilst I told the doctor conducting the medical, he didnt even mention it on my forms.

Here is a thread where a similar question is asked http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8078&hl

So you dont think it will affect anything then ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So you dont think it will affect anything then ?

I don't think they look for depression. Chest X-rays, physical, blood work to check for HIV AIDS and related blood borne diseases and shots/immunizatons against the 5 killer diseases. That's it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have type 1 diabetes and was concerned that this would cause a problem on my K-1 medical. The doctor explained that while it is noted on the medical it is not one of the conditions that would cause problems such as a sexually transmitted disease or one that is communicable to a large group of people such as tuberculosis. A bout with depression 10 years ago should not raise any alarms. Mention it to the doctor because you can't lie on immigration forms, but don't worry about it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I seriously doubt that you will encounter any problems in regards to past history of treatment for depression.

Just to piggyback off of the o.p. the primary concern is for T.B. and other highly contagious communicable diseases (i.e. HIV/AIDS)

8.14.03 MY FEET TOUCH NIGERIAN SOIL!

8.28.03 Civil wedding (Lagos, Island)

8.30.03 Trad. wedding (Mbaise-Owerri, Imo State)

11.27.03 Returned to U.S.A

12.31.03 I-130 NOA1

6.15.04 2nd trip to Naija

7.04.04 I-129F NOA1

9.24.04 I-130 x-ferred from NSC to CSC

10.07.04 I-130 rec. @ CSC

10.14.04 I-130 Approv.

11.04 Rec. DS 3032 & AOS fee bill

12.04.04 Rec. I-864 packet

2.05.05 DS 3032 rec.

2.17.05 I-129F Approv.

2.23.05 Left NVC

3.09.05 Rec. IV bill

3.10.05 Ret. I-864 Packet

3.12.05 3rd trip

3.29.05 Ret. IV fee bill

5.02.05 DS-230 mailed out by NVC

5.05.05 Hubby rec K-3 packet

6.23.05 Rec. DS 230 & Checklist

7.08.05 RFE DS 230

7.18.05 NVC rec. Cklist response letter items

7.21.05 K-3 interview (Previously notified Lagos that we are abandoning the K-3)

8.04.05 *Case Complete*

11.08.05 Case forwarded to Lagos

12.23.05 INTERVIEW-VISA APPROVED

1.13.06 Hubby's flight scheduled for U.S. arrival @ 12:45pm

I agree that a past bout with depression should not be a hinderence for you. ;)

However, I would also like to add that they are looking for things other than communicable diseases. When we were at my husband's medical, the doctor told him that someone was just denied a Visa because they were on the NHS wait list for a hip replacement. If the US government thinks an applicant is going to need major surgery soon after their arrival in the US (and since they probably won't have insurance) then they will in all likelihood deny the Visa for medical reasons.

I hate to be a cynical American, but I think it just boils down to money. IMHO, the US gov't just doesn't want to admit people that they think will be claiming off Medicaid. :whistle:

Kathryn 41, my husband also has diabetes and the doctor told him as well that it was no problem as long as it was under control. :thumbs:

CR-1:

14-Dec-05: Sent I-130 to London for DCF

28-Dec-05: Letter from Embassy denying due to LLR

17-Jan-06: RFE from TX due to "lack of payment"; USCIS won't accept credit card form from Embassy

01-Feb-06: Sent new I-130 to TX with personal check

13-Feb-06: NOA1

02-June-06: NOA2

05-June-06: Case received at NVC; case # assigned

26-June-06: DS-3032 Choice of Agent rec'd via snail mail

06-July-06: DS-3032 COA mailed; AOS bill mailed

24-July-06: IV bill generated

31-July-06: I-864 rec'd via snail mail; IV bill rec'd

31-Aug-06: IV bill mailed (delayed due to move to US)

21-Sep-06: DS-230 rec'd via snail mail

02-Oct-06: DS-230 & I-864 mailed

08-Nov-06: Case completed at NVC & forwarded to London Embassy!!!

28-Feb-07: Final Interview at London Embassy

01-Mar-07: Visa in hand!!!

Removal of Conditions:

16-Feb-09: I-751 sent to VSC

23-Feb-09: I-751 NOA1

10-Apr-09: Biometrics Appt

02-Sep-09: Approved - 10-yr Green Card Production Ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.