57 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You are smart you did ask. But my gut feeling told me not to ask, I thought it would be somehow inappropriate. But as I said, my husband naively asked if a 2nd interview would be required, and he answered "no, I don't think it will be necessary". Why would he call us for another interview anyway, if we answered everything correctly and had all the proof he asked for and are obviously a couple?

Well, I think only that one document was missing... I hope. I had more documents I could have volunteered, but I didn't because people say don't volunteer, give them only what they ask. I hope it was the right move. This area is highly unclear to me - what to volunteer or not.

Also, unlike you, I was not given the option to bring the missing document in person. It would be cheaper for me to do so, instead of fedex overnight, as I did. The guy was tough, and I am normally tough too, but he was the kind of guy you don't want to argue with. So I just didn't ask much, specially after he said: "no pouting!" when I pouted. he he. I understand they have rules to follow and he is just doing his job, and most of all it's not his fault that I got the wrong translation from the company, but still... :( this is quite frustrating, because you keep thinking your case can be left in a desk for months because of one single document.

One more thing I forgot to mention in my original post: he did ask me all the "did you ever" questions... do they ask these questions to people they don't intend to approve?

She told us that we can either mail the requested documents or take it in person. We asked her if she's going to approve our case once the requested documents were being received and she said "YES". The 60 days might be a rule of thumb for USCIS to meet their deadlines.

Good luck! Did you ask the IO if he's going to approve your case once the requested documents were being submitted?

Anyways, don't stress out so much....heehhehe...those questions started with " did you ever" is USCIS standard questions that needs to be asked to all applicants. I supposed, that all applicants that adjusting their status were being asked that type of questions.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello mimi, I am sorry to hear that the interview turned out to be tough for you both. I do agree with other VJers that the 60 days probably is a rule of thumb. Please do not worry about that! I am sure it will all work out fine at the end - this is what exactly I am telling myself every day :)

Which office did you have your interview? Federal Plaza or Stewart Avenue?

Take care!

Anonymous - NOOOOOT!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry to hear that you had a bad officer. Sometimes that happens, I became extremely frustrated just reading your message!

FWIW, I got a similar RFE during the interview but they told me to wait up to 120 days for a decision (it was an income/sponsorship issue). However, USCIS received the correct documents on February 20 and we received the approval letter on March 5th! Hopefully you hear something back as fast.

Edited by c_and_a

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

mimigrant..look u should be really happy on one site...u filed in december and u are done in march....that are 4 month.....look to the people wich are waiting 6 month and longer..sometimes one year.....my aos needs 7 month...i know some other august files wich are still not approved...so be thankful that u are so fast and dont freak out about 5 days of longer waiting:-))

iam pretty sure that he got ur RFE and approved ur case allready and the welcome letter is on the way and will be in ur mailbox in the next 8 days:-)))

AOS Timeline

08/13/08 AOS sent
08/18/08 NOA1
08/22/08 Appointment Biomentrics
09/10/08 Biometrics done
09/11/08 RFE
09/18/08 Case transfered to NBC
10/16/08 EAD approved
10/24/08 EAD approved again
10/27/08 EAD in Mail
10/28/08 applied for SSN (not verified)still waiting:-(
12/18/08 got my SSN today YEAHHHHH
12/30/08 passed my TX DL today YIPPIEEEEEEE
03/03/09 Interview ,approved...thanks god:-)
03/09/09 Welcome letter in Mail.Juhuuuuuuuu
03/16/09 Green Card in Mail:-)))))

02/02/10 I-751 Waiver to VSC
02/08/10 NOA1
02/17/10 Check cashed
04/15/10 Biometrics
07/26/10 Interview
08/06/10 Approved ,thanks god juhuuuuuuuuuuuu
08/16/10 Greencard in Mail,done for ten years:-))

N-400 here we go in the last round

12/09/2013 N-400 to Dallas

12/13/2013 NOA1

12/18/2013 check cashed

01/03/2014 Biometrics

02/04/2014 in line for Interview

04/11/2014 Interview& Oath

well guys, I read this (below) and it seems that an interview RFE at least doesn't "restart" the clock as in RFE for initial evidence. A RFE of a birth certificate translation is a case of additional evidence, right?

"RFE for Additional Evidence Stops Clock until Evidence is Received ©MurthyDotCom

Under the same regulation, if the USCIS issues an RFE for information that is not initial evidence, the processing time stops on the date the RFE is issued. It will resume from the same point it stopped when the USCIS receives the requested evidence or response."

thanks for your message, c_and_a. I know, it is really frustrating and I posted so people going for the interview could get prepared and maybe use my experience. wow, so good to know that you got the approval letter in 2 weeks although they said wait up to 4 months! this is exactly the type of answer I am looking for here: how long did it take them to approve your case after an RFE interview?

congrats, it must feel awesome. I hope this IO doesn't put my case in the bottom of his pile. :(

Sorry to hear that you had a bad officer. Sometimes that happens, I became extremely frustrated just reading your message!

FWIW, I got a similar RFE during the interview but they told me to wait up to 120 days for a decision (it was an income/sponsorship issue). However, USCIS received the correct documents on February 20 and we received the approval letter on March 5th! Hopefully you hear something back as fast.

hey Goldfee111, I know... I was happy that things happened so fast, of course. But when you feel the thing is coming, and it doesn't - it can also be super frustrating, because it's not as if everything is fine and you are just waiting.

anyway, they must be getting my evidence right now as I sent it overnight, the question is how long does it take to get to the officer's attention, and how long it will take him to make a decision and send me the approval letter. ahhhhh.

I know they have to be firm to catch the bad guys, but... it's hard to have to pay for it. ;(

mimigrant..look u should be really happy on one site...u filed in december and u are done in march....that are 4 month.....look to the people wich are waiting 6 month and longer..sometimes one year.....my aos needs 7 month...i know some other august files wich are still not approved...so be thankful that u are so fast and dont freak out about 5 days of longer waiting:-))

iam pretty sure that he got ur RFE and approved ur case allready and the welcome letter is on the way and will be in ur mailbox in the next 8 days:-)))

12-13-2010....RoC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

iam pretty sure he will also have the case done..so when the RFE arrived on his table he will stamp the case and send the letter out..iam pretty sure that happend allready..so expect the letter in the next days..i know how u feel because i went also out of the interview and knew not more then before and got the letter 6 days later:-))

Edited by Goldfee111

AOS Timeline

08/13/08 AOS sent
08/18/08 NOA1
08/22/08 Appointment Biomentrics
09/10/08 Biometrics done
09/11/08 RFE
09/18/08 Case transfered to NBC
10/16/08 EAD approved
10/24/08 EAD approved again
10/27/08 EAD in Mail
10/28/08 applied for SSN (not verified)still waiting:-(
12/18/08 got my SSN today YEAHHHHH
12/30/08 passed my TX DL today YIPPIEEEEEEE
03/03/09 Interview ,approved...thanks god:-)
03/09/09 Welcome letter in Mail.Juhuuuuuuuu
03/16/09 Green Card in Mail:-)))))

02/02/10 I-751 Waiver to VSC
02/08/10 NOA1
02/17/10 Check cashed
04/15/10 Biometrics
07/26/10 Interview
08/06/10 Approved ,thanks god juhuuuuuuuuuuuu
08/16/10 Greencard in Mail,done for ten years:-))

N-400 here we go in the last round

12/09/2013 N-400 to Dallas

12/13/2013 NOA1

12/18/2013 check cashed

01/03/2014 Biometrics

02/04/2014 in line for Interview

04/11/2014 Interview& Oath

oh Goldfee, as we say in my country: from your mouth to god ;)

ahhh. just to add to it, FedEx was supposed to deliver it priority at 10:30AM and they also sc*** up. they said they might deliver it only at 5PM. oh my! what are USCIS employee working hours? I mean, I know, so what if it gets there tomorrow... I am just curious

iam pretty sure he will also have the case done..so when the RFE arrived on his table he will stamp the case and send the letter out..iam pretty sure that happend allready..so expect the letter in the next days..i know how u feel because i went also out of the interview and knew not more then before and got the letter 6 days later:-))

12-13-2010....RoC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello mimigrant, don't worry.....I was given an RFE after our interview for our tax r eturn for 2008. The IO doesn't want to give us an approval at the same day because my wife's income for yr 2007 was below the poverty limit. Our interview was conducted on Feb. 11, 2009. I've waited until I got my SSN and filed our tax return on Feb 18, 2009. We took the copy of our tax return on Feb 19, 2009 to our local USCIS office. On Feb 23 my AOS and I-130 were approved. We received the welcome letter and I-130 notice of approval on Feb 26. I got my GC on March 5, 2009. Since, your AOS approval is 100%, you will hear something soon from them. Good luck!!!!!!!

how do u guys know that the EAD was ordered??

thanks.

Mimigrant, I am not sure how late the office works until but FedEx usually leaves a door tag if the receiver is not there to sign for delivery. At least you know you have the evidence of you did mail it on time but it was FedEx who screwed up!

Also, I have found that UPS is much more reliable from my personal experience.

Anonymous - NOOOOOT!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Hey,

Sorry to hear about the interview,but I really think you will get your approval soon,because he took your I-94 and that is a good thing. I wish you all the luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Hey,

Sorry to hear about the interview,but I really think you will get your approval soon,because he took your I-94 and that is a good thing. I wish you all the luck!

Mimi: can I ask where your interview was? If it was at Federal Plaza, I feel like the whole "we have 60 days to make a decision" thing is just what the IOs at that location do. It happened to my husband today, and a fellow October filer yesterday..I bet our approvals will be sent soon!

5-13-09: Green card approved.

6-24-09: Received green card.

8-13-11: Received 10-year green card.

2-21-12: Sent N-400 to Dallas Lock box.

7-18-12: Naturalization interview (passed!).

Hi KPC, it was at Stewart Ave. I am sorry to hear about your husband - I know the frustration.

I just hope they don't leave our cases there on the table for 2 months :(

Truth is, they may have time frames to adjudicate and that's why they give us these numbers that seem random. I found this online (but it's for when people get RFEs - at an interview, or before). It states that they should have a decision up to 60 days.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/casemgmt.pdf

Mimi: can I ask where your interview was? If it was at Federal Plaza, I feel like the whole "we have 60 days to make a decision" thing is just what the IOs at that location do. It happened to my husband today, and a fellow October filer yesterday..I bet our approvals will be sent soon!

12-13-2010....RoC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

mimigrant -

Thank you for the detailed report (I will ask my husband to read your post and educate himself :) ), and sorry for being interviewed by such a tough IO and mix-up by translation company and FedEx.

I agree with everybody that it is a good sign that IO took your I-94. Also, I got an impression that IO always tell things like "it would take up to 2 month" when they do not approve on the spot but approves soon after. So, your GC should be approved pretty soon as you did such a good job at the interview and took care of REF so quickly.

AOS from H1B

[AOS Timeline of Dec.'08 Filers], [JV Thread for Dec.'08 AOS Filers]

12-17-08: I-130/I-485/I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

12-18-08: I-130/I-485/I-765 delivered

12-29-08: Received 3 NOAs (dated 12-24-2008)

12-29-08: Checks cashed

1-5-09: Received Biometric appt. notice (dated 12-30-2008)

1-20-09: Biometric done

2-17-09: Received interview appt. letter (dated 2-12-2009)

3-5-09: Received EAD (dated 2-28-2009)

4-6-09: AOS Intervew @NYC

4-13-09: Received welcome letter (dated 4-8-09)

4-18-09: Received GC (dated 4-13-08)

Guys, does the email below mean we got... approved? :o

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On March 18, 2009, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

12-13-2010....RoC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.