July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol:

I hate this state! More and more now I'm seriously thinking about getting US citizenship in 2010 and telling Jared that I'm moving back to Canada and getting a job, and he can stay here and work here and once it's all said and done he can come join me in flaming Ottawa.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
:( Aww! Things will look up eventually and its not going to be like this forever, you're both young but are doing very well for yourselves. You're working hard now and it will pay off later.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With regards to loooking for employment--getting off ur azz is prob ur best bet! Myex worked for an unemployment company--helped the unemployed get retrianed and find work---and I recall her stating that majority of available jobs are not posted anywhere. So just sittign on ur butt and looking at the paper/internet isnt always the best method.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
But there are people who do get in their cars and come over and talk to us, I work on a golf course so a lot of them are summer students. The ones who make the effort are the ones who get the job. You can call in, but I will tell you we're not hiring and so will everyone else I work with. I never found it acceptable to call and ask if we're hiring. The way people ask too, "Ya'll are hiring?" or something like that.

Regardless our seasonal staff fills up quite fast and with many great people. Its a great place to work, its a shame some people can't prove that they want a job bad enough to get up and go out and look for one. Also if they went on our website they could easily find out the positions we're hiring for. OH and I use the phone a lot to call members, so when I have to put a call on hold because someone wants to ask me if we're hiring, I get a little annoyed. :P

It's funny though - when I look at this topic - and the topic about the bride who wanted to cancel her reception.

I think sometimes we don't look at people as 'people' and I think sometimes when we are in a position of power - we may abuse it. How do you know that one of those people who call and ask if 'ya'll are hiring' - or one of those people who show up a bit untidy or with no pen, don't come from a home where there is abuse or where one parent is not there or where there is no money and no support (and no car to drive over). You mention they are summer students and that's kind of what I assumed.

In that kind of situation you (and everyone else in your office) - and when I say 'you' I don't mean you specifically Sprailenes - I mean all of us - have an opportunity to perhaps help someone up - to make their lives a bit better. If someone gave them a chance and work, perhaps that would make a great difference in their lives.

That's all I was saying.

Timeline
With regards to loooking for employment--getting off ur azz is prob ur best bet! Myex worked for an unemployment company--helped the unemployed get retrianed and find work---and I recall her stating that majority of available jobs are not posted anywhere. So just sittign on ur butt and looking at the paper/internet isnt always the best method.

So what are you supposed to do then? Drive around, waste gas, and try to find "help" signs? :lol:

I'm pretty sure a majority of DECENT employers have money to advertise in the paper or the internet.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
In that kind of situation you (and everyone else in your office) - and when I say 'you' I don't mean you specifically Sprailenes - I mean all of us - have an opportunity to perhaps help someone up - to make their lives a bit better. If someone gave them a chance and work, perhaps that would make a great difference in their lives.

That's all I was saying.

I see what you are saying to some degree, but I think you also have to understand where we live too. My husband used to live in south jersey and he was a manager at a sneaker store while he attended college. He would get a TON of kids in there with pants down to their knees and wearing an 4X shirt asking for a job. You can't have someone in customer service that doesn't know how to talk to people. In the business references column they would put their mother and brother. There are so many opportunities at school now to learn how to write a resume and how to be professional. There is all kinds of help you can get as a young kid, regardless of your home situation.

My husband actually had an applicant one time who applied and then tried to steal a pair of Nikes all in the same hour! :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
But there are people who do get in their cars and come over and talk to us, I work on a golf course so a lot of them are summer students. The ones who make the effort are the ones who get the job. You can call in, but I will tell you we're not hiring and so will everyone else I work with. I never found it acceptable to call and ask if we're hiring. The way people ask too, "Ya'll are hiring?" or something like that.

Regardless our seasonal staff fills up quite fast and with many great people. Its a great place to work, its a shame some people can't prove that they want a job bad enough to get up and go out and look for one. Also if they went on our website they could easily find out the positions we're hiring for. OH and I use the phone a lot to call members, so when I have to put a call on hold because someone wants to ask me if we're hiring, I get a little annoyed. :P

It's funny though - when I look at this topic - and the topic about the bride who wanted to cancel her reception.

I think sometimes we don't look at people as 'people' and I think sometimes when we are in a position of power - we may abuse it. How do you know that one of those people who call and ask if 'ya'll are hiring' - or one of those people who show up a bit untidy or with no pen, don't come from a home where there is abuse or where one parent is not there or where there is no money and no support (and no car to drive over). You mention they are summer students and that's kind of what I assumed.

That's all I was saying.

I don't help people who don't try. I have had my hardships in life but that doesn't define who I am as an employee. It's none of their business and it shouldn't become something I lean on and feel entitled over. Work is work and home is home.

If they can't afford to drive around for a job what makes you think they'll be able to afford to drive to work? What makes you think if they can't present themselves neatly while looking for a job that they will care about their appearances while employed with us?

There are many people young and old who will come in and talk to me and the other people in the office about being hired, those are the people who get hired.

Its not an abuse of power, its common sense.

In this competitive job market you NEED to make the effort. The people who don't are the ones who will continue to stand in the unemployment line.

You could at least call and know who you want to speak to:

"May I speak to your food and beverage manager" "May I speak to the executive chef" etc.

Don't just call me and ask... and their tone... don't even get me started. It tells you a lot.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Here is some examples of people who got hired and some of the people we "helped" up.

One man lives in Burlington, is a minority, isn't from the highest of income brackets but wanted to work with us in landscaping. He couldn't speak english well, you could tell he didn't have a lot of money. But he came in talked to me, talked to the groundskeeper and then made an appointment to speak with the GM. Came in the next week and talked to the GM, we weren't hiring yet but he said okay and waited until March. Came in again and got hired. Why? Because he showed he had an interest. He really wanted to work here.

There's another guy who works in Maintenance who takes the SH1TTY NJ Transit from Maple Shade every day in the summer to work here. He takes the sh1tty NJ transit and it lets him off 45 minutes away and he walks here from the bus stop! He makes the effort. He made the effort to come in and he got hired for seasonal work. Maple Shade is a low income ghetto area. Nothing stops this man from getting out of bed for 4 months out of the year at 5:00 am to come work for us.

Those are just some of the examples.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
Do you know what annoys me??

People who CALL to ask if we're hiring. If you can't get off your lazy a$$ to come in and speak with someone then you aren't able to get up in the morning and come to work.

I just asked someone what was stopping them from coming in and filling out an application and she said: "Well I don't want to come all the way there if you're not hiring"

It's called EFFORT, employers like to see it. No, we're not hiring. Bye. Seriously.

You old fashioned gal you :hehe:

I just notice it seems to be the norm with so many people... whatever happened to getting dressed up and going out and actually applying?

I have noticed people just come in with their street clothes too and ask for an application. This tells me a lot about that person.

It also bothers me when someone wants an application and then asks for a pen. You are going out and applying for a job... BRING A PEN!

First impressions matter, especially when looking for a job.

I have put X's on so many applications because of the way people look when they come in or if they ask for a pen. :lol:

Well my guess is that those that are calling asking if you are hiring are doing it merely for their unemployment benefits. When I was on unemployment I had to provide so many names of businesses a week I either applied to or inquired about openings. So all they really have to do is call you and ask and then they can list you on their unemployment form and they are done for the week! Those that don't seem to care about getting a job probably don't want one because they are only doing it so they can collect their benefits.

Oh yeah, and if you live in a small town, after a few months you can really run out of places to contact for your list.

Edited by childress_london

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline
Do you know what annoys me??

People who CALL to ask if we're hiring. If you can't get off your lazy a$$ to come in and speak with someone then you aren't able to get up in the morning and come to work.

I just asked someone what was stopping them from coming in and filling out an application and she said: "Well I don't want to come all the way there if you're not hiring"

It's called EFFORT, employers like to see it. No, we're not hiring. Bye. Seriously.

You old fashioned gal you :hehe:

I just notice it seems to be the norm with so many people... whatever happened to getting dressed up and going out and actually applying?

I have noticed people just come in with their street clothes too and ask for an application. This tells me a lot about that person.

It also bothers me when someone wants an application and then asks for a pen. You are going out and applying for a job... BRING A PEN!

First impressions matter, especially when looking for a job.

I have put X's on so many applications because of the way people look when they come in or if they ask for a pen. :lol:

Well my guess is that those that are calling asking if you are hiring are doing it merely for their unemployment benefits. When I was on unemployment I had to provide so many names of businesses a week I either applied to or inquired about openings. So all they really have to do is call you and ask and then they can list you on their unemployment form and they are done for the week! Those that don't seem to care about getting a job probably don't want one because they are only doing it so they can collect their benefits.

Oh yeah, and if you live in a small town, after a few months you can really run out of places to contact for your list.

Exactly! Thats why I said it reminds me of the welfare people in Ontario who would come in looking like ####### saying: "Can you sign my job search form?"

There are resources to get a nice suit or dressy outfit for job searches, employment offices with internet access, there are places that will take you around to look for a job. There are NO excuses.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I'm getting some good tips here.... since I got my EAD, I'm starting to job hunt! But of course I would always go into a place to apply looking professional! :lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Well my only thing is that I didn't go into any one's office and ask for a job. I sent my resume out to 100+ employers online and through the paper by fax hoping for a call. I got quite a few and then of course, went into their offices respectfully.

I think it is a little weird to think someone is going to drive around and "look" for a job. Where do you go? Do you start driving down every single strip mall hoping to find a sign in a window?

I do agree though about professionalism. It seems to be lost.

PS- some student on the phone who was upset with getting a parking ticket just told me to "shut the #### up..."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is our future :)

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

So what are you supposed to do then? Drive around, waste gas, and try to find "help" signs? :lol:

I'm pretty sure a majority of DECENT employers have money to advertise in the paper or the internet.

According to their research that wasn't the case, DECENT companies didnt have to post jobs as they had a steady supply of resumes. I have never really ever looked for a job, so who knows,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It depends on the job you are looking for Amanda. If you're a student looking for seasonal, you go out and ask the people. I don't know how many people would come in while I worked at the hotel asking about available jobs, same with here especially with the summer fast approaching. I am not talking about career oriented minds here... I am talking about seasonal employees and the like.

With the kind of jobs we look for, we do apply online. Though when I first got my EAD I did drive to the hotels in the area, get out of my car and speak to people personally. It was the kind of work I was inititally looking for: Hospitality. I did that and I also applied online.

It depends on the job you want. If you're looking for retail, print out 100 resumes and walk through the mall. It's okay to apply online but its frowned upon to apply by phone. It's not just here either, it's every place that I have worked at.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.