July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your support.

I talked to my hubby about it. I told him how I felt. Like arabella said, i will start keeping a list. I think that's a good idea. I looked up the volunteer jobs in town and its mostly helping old people and red cross type of stuff. I'm not good with health volunteer. But I'll keep looking. I started paying more attention with my fitness health. I think I have to leave the house before my husband wakes up. Once he wakes up, he wants to do spend time with me but doesnt want to go for a run w/ me. lol. Its just getting my #### to stop being lazy. I also told my hubby I want to make a table and fix this old dresser and re paint it. so I've created some new hobbies I want to do. and I've been wanting to get back into my old teenage size. haha. i used to dance for 15 years and stopped 3 yrs ago (b/c of work.lol). But I was on facebook last night and saw this ad for Jazzercise which looks exciting and I actually saw a banner of it in town so I really want to try that.

You guys are right about the time off too. I want to take advantage of it. I just need to learn to get used to having all this time to myself. lol.

Hey Boarder, as someone who does some volunteer work for a cool organization, you might try looking the other way around for volunteer stuff - there are probably a lot more organizations that aren't advertising for volunteers but would love to have the assistance - you could google a cause of interest and your location and see what organizations pop up. Sounds like you've got a healthy list going! I agree, enjoy it :):thumbs:

[font="Arial Black"][b]Our Visa Journey[/b][/font]
[color="#4B0082"]Met June 6, 2008 & Fell in love :)
He Propsed! September 15, 2008
Mailed I-129F: October 17th, 2008
[b]NOA1: October 28, 2008[/b]
[b]NOA2: March 13th, 2009 * Friday the 13th!*[/b]
NVC Received: April 2, 2009
NVC Shipped to Montreal Consulate: April 3, 2009
Montreal Consulate Received: April 6, 2009
Packet 3 Sent: April 9th, 2009
4/21: Contacted DoS RE lost packet 3 - operator told us to go ahead and send in all our documents
Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 4/22
Packet 3 logged in MTL: 4/24
Packet 4: June 3, 2009
[b]Interview Date: July 8, 2009!! APPROVED![/b]
POE & Date: July 15, 2009
Courthouse wedding: July 17, 2009

Ceremonial Wedding: First weekend June 2010 [/color]

I WISH I COULD FIX MY TIMELINE TOO! :)

[b]Getting it all together for the AOS :) [/b]

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The family is slowly falling apart... the hubby has broke out in a hive like rash all over his body... it has progressively gotten worse... seems it may be calming down a bit now... (after 2 weeks of suffering)

Monday the 8 year old comes home sick from school -- his ear hurts-- never had an ear infection, bought some drops and then he feels fine.

Then today I get a call from school (today was his last day of school since we hope to start our drive tomorrow to Utah if the visa arrives) The 8 year old has hives all over his body... by the time I get there to get him most of them have gone down.. so I get him home and full of benadryl and he falls asleep.. only to wake up screaming that his ear hurts, so I rush him to emergency room since the docs office is closed and he has an ear infection... I hope this week gets better...

I can only take so much...

Rena

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

argh, I am so tired of the kids that hang out in front of the apartment.... all they do is listen to music and swear up a storm... :angry: and they do this every freaking evening...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

also, after being off blood pressure medication for over a year the doctor has decided to put my hubby back on it because his blood pressure seems a little high.. it is a smaller dosage this time and he only needs to take one pill a day instead of 2 like before but still he is only 27 he shouldn't be having problems with high blood pressure this young.. :unsure:

and what really bugs me is that I am sure the smoking doesn't help and of course he conveniently doesn't mention that he smokes to his doctor.. :angry:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Okay... I'm a little annoyed.

BC employers want Canadian references, not those from Texas or anywhere else in the United States. Fair enough. Everyone prefers local references.

But here's the problem: in order to gain references, I apparently require references. I've been attempting to volunteer for various organizations. I figure I could gain some useful references and in the process, actually do some good. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work.

In order to get "hired" on as a volunteer, I need references. However, since I don't have Canadian references (with the exception of family and that rarely counts), I'm SOL.

You'd think becoming a volunteer wouldn't be so difficult. Most people don't want to give up their relaxation time to "work for free." Yet, here I am, offering to do whatever is needed without pay and I'm still not qualified. Why? Because I need to gain Canadian references.

The only way around this that I can see is by asking my father-in-law or my brother-in-law to act as a reference. I realize they're considered family, but since both have a different surname, no one would know the difference. The trick would be getting them to agree to it. I'm not sure how they feel about lying, which they would be doing in this situation.

Aside from that plan, does anyone here have any advice on what I'm supposed to do? :unsure:

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Such a catch 22 DPX. :wacko:

Sorry no advice to offer. But I think asking the in-laws is fine. I am sure they'd be happy to do it, as I am sure they get that its not easy starting over and would do anything to help.

Timeline

I am sure not all Canadian employers want only Canadian references..

I know when I was applying for work here in the US a few people seemed to not like the fact that I didn't have any US references but most didn't seem to care...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
also, after being off blood pressure medication for over a year the doctor has decided to put my hubby back on it because his blood pressure seems a little high.. it is a smaller dosage this time and he only needs to take one pill a day instead of 2 like before but still he is only 27 he shouldn't be having problems with high blood pressure this young.. :unsure:

and what really bugs me is that I am sure the smoking doesn't help and of course he conveniently doesn't mention that he smokes to his doctor.. :angry:

That sucks Marilyn. Hopefully he'll be able to get back off them again asap, and perhaps quit smoking one day. A tough one to kick that's for sure!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

*sigh.. housing drama continues.. In the midst of a recession when rents everywhere else on the planet are decreasing by 3-5% our new landlord has decided to raise the rent by $150.00 / mo. We're already paying $1100.00 for a 2 bedroom :blink: now he wants more.. He overbought on the house (has a HUGE mortgage payment) and is "cutting us a deal" at $1250.00.. (he thinks that apts. in our area support $750.00 a bedroom). Uh.. right.. not.. THEN he says.. "you have to look at it this way, it's only $75.00 a person more a month) :wacko: I think the guy is outta his tree.. We're not two grad students splitting the rent here, we're MARRIED for heavens sakes and combine our expenses.. blah!

I HATE high rents.. and I HATE moving... so what does one do? *grumbles all the way to craigslist. :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
*sigh.. housing drama continues.. In the midst of a recession when rents everywhere else on the planet are decreasing by 3-5% our new landlord has decided to raise the rent by $150.00 / mo. We're already paying $1100.00 for a 2 bedroom :blink: now he wants more.. He overbought on the house (has a HUGE mortgage payment) and is "cutting us a deal" at $1250.00.. (he thinks that apts. in our area support $750.00 a bedroom). Uh.. right.. not.. THEN he says.. "you have to look at it this way, it's only $75.00 a person more a month) :wacko: I think the guy is outta his tree.. We're not two grad students splitting the rent here, we're MARRIED for heavens sakes and combine our expenses.. blah!

I HATE high rents.. and I HATE moving... so what does one do? *grumbles all the way to craigslist. :(

I hope you spot a new and wonderful place Em!!

This guy is a dweeb. it's only $75 a person more per month - bah.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.