July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I wish there were sidewalks in my neighborhood. I like to go for long walks and used to go for an hour or so around my old town Oakville, there were sidewalks everywhere. I don't know what it is with here but you don't find sidewalks anywhere. Where do people walk their dogs, on the street? I don't feel comfortable walking on the street with my music in my ears, I'm afraid to get hit by a car!

I agree with you sister! And what's up with the lack of street lights? I'm so used to Toronto where you can walk down the street at night and see where you're going. I never even really thought about it or noticed it. Here it's so darn dark at night I can barely see where I'm going. I'm going to have to get a flashlight or something. It makes driving difficult too. I'm just not accustomed to it.

That's SO true! When my Dad came to visit, he pointed out how dark the streets were! Even on our street there are only maybe 2-3 streetlights and even on the main roads it's really dark. That's odd.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I wish there were sidewalks in my neighborhood. I like to go for long walks and used to go for an hour or so around my old town Oakville, there were sidewalks everywhere. I don't know what it is with here but you don't find sidewalks anywhere. Where do people walk their dogs, on the street? I don't feel comfortable walking on the street with my music in my ears, I'm afraid to get hit by a car!

I agree with you sister! And what's up with the lack of street lights? I'm so used to Toronto where you can walk down the street at night and see where you're going. I never even really thought about it or noticed it. Here it's so darn dark at night I can barely see where I'm going. I'm going to have to get a flashlight or something. It makes driving difficult too. I'm just not accustomed to it.

That's SO true! When my Dad came to visit, he pointed out how dark the streets were! Even on our street there are only maybe 2-3 streetlights and even on the main roads it's really dark. That's odd.

I noticed the lack of lights and sidewalks too, its crazy. Way to dark.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

all down to money, my friends. Well, the "distribution" of money, actually. In Canada, the transportation, road management, design and construction, etc. budgets for cities and municipalities is huge. Our tax dollars are well spent in Canada.

In the US, good luck knowing where the money goes but I can tell you it's not to your roads, transportation, signage, etc. It goes to paying for lobbyists, schools, state vehicles, etc.

How many times have you waited at a traffic light here in the US for 2 minutes...3 minutes? In most of the areas I've been in, unless it's a large city, they have very little transportation management so..nothing is properly programmed. It is pre-programmed and never changed, n o matter if an area grows over time and has increased traffic.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
all down to money, my friends. Well, the "distribution" of money, actually. In Canada, the transportation, road management, design and construction, etc. budgets for cities and municipalities is huge. Our tax dollars are well spent in Canada.

In the US, good luck knowing where the money goes but I can tell you it's not to your roads, transportation, signage, etc. It goes to paying for lobbyists, schools, state vehicles, etc.

How many times have you waited at a traffic light here in the US for 2 minutes...3 minutes? In most of the areas I've been in, unless it's a large city, they have very little transportation management so..nothing is properly programmed. It is pre-programmed and never changed, n o matter if an area grows over time and has increased traffic.

:lol: That actually happened yesterday, at a light for well over 3 minutes.... I was at a "no turn on red" light and after 3 minutes, I said dang it and went anyway!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Depending on where you live - that type of thing may be taken care of by the HOA in the neighbourhood. That is the case here in Centreville VA. We're a collection of towns all under 1 county (Fairfax), but no municpal gov't per say. No municipal taxes to pay the bills for streetlights. Although we have lots of sidewalks.

I find it disconcerting in my area that some areas have none, while some have lights every block. people do a poor job of keeping their front lights on too, which I regard as an excellent way to keep the neighbourhood safe. We have gone for walks on a summer evening where we are practically on top of someone in the dark before we see them.

I noticed the lack of lights and sidewalks too, its crazy. Way to dark.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

It's hot out there again today. :angry:

I went out yesterday and bought a new summer wardrobe... old navy had a huge sale, I got like 5 outfits for just a little over 100.00. :D

I love me some sales.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not much of a shopper,but just found Kohl's! Like their prices and selection!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I like to shop, but I hate buying clothes.

As a matter of fact Mike chose everything yesterday. I went in and started choosing stuff and he kept saying: "Don't you already have something like that?" so finally I said: "Fine, you choose it!" and he did. I did sneak one striped shirt in though at the end. :P I love summer stripes.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I like to shop, but I hate buying clothes.

As a matter of fact Mike chose everything yesterday. I went in and started choosing stuff and he kept saying: "Don't you already have something like that?" so finally I said: "Fine, you choose it!" and he did. I did sneak one striped shirt in though at the end. :P I love summer stripes.

I love stripes! The best part about moving to a new city, starting a new job is no one's seen your wardrobe before, so everything is like new again

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

I hate shopping! Especially clothes shopping. (Okay, I do not mind grocery shopping and like book shopping to a point.) Saturday I had to go to the mall just to get our rings inspected at Zales for our warranty on them. No big deal---it is right next to the exit so I can usually just run in and then leave. But I had done a few previous errands and it is (thankfully) about a half hour drive home from the mall (I say thankfully because that is the closest mall to where we live---big box stores in plazas are starting to take over, but no actual malls yet). Anyhow, I needed to use the rest room. Which meant I needed to find the restroom. That meant walking through the entire mall, dodging people, listening to the loud and hideous mall music, and trying to remember my way out of the maze because it was far too hot to just leave the building and walk around the outside to find my car. I really hate malls.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm getting SO discouraged. Why are there no jobs to be had? Why are 50 people applying for the job I want!? Good lord! When will it end. Heck, I'd take a job at a fast food restaurant right now. Anything!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
So I want to take my son out of hockey, problem is he wants to stay in it. Argh why can't he choose a more loving sport... and yes there is such a thing. His coach swears at the other team, like we're talking the f-bomb. He yells at the team, well actually both coaches yell at their teams, I just find that totally unacceptable. God they're such douches. Most of the parents are douches too. I can't stand the douche factor every time I am around these people.

Ethan is getting better but there's a lot of rules he doesn't know so the coach got super mad at him yesterday, and I just wanted to tell the coach to ** off. It's a fvcking game. A GAME. Get a life.

When I was a kid I played baseball, I was on a youth league in Toronto-Greenwood and it was great. It was a little competitive but not crazy competitive... and I never got yelled at for anything.

I had a coach like that when I was a teenager. The higher levels that you got in swimming and especially in water polo, the more annimated he got. But, at that level, you don't get a university scholarship without results, and he certainly produced. I was one of the people who reacted well to that form of coaching. I'm still friends with my old coach.

Timeline

I am supposed to have an interview tomorrow... I was out on Thursday when the guy called, then I called him back got VM, then he called me back and said Tuesday, but he would call me back to confirm the time as he wasn't sure of his schedule.... I still haven't heard back and I called him this morning and no answer..... I really hope he calls me soon because I'm sitting here not even getting in the shower as I don't want to miss his call again!

I really want this job too sooooo much, it has so many great aspects to it

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Aww good luck jill! what kind of job is it?

Nev- You know, it's a hard one about the hockey. I played competitive sports all my life and so did my brothers. I always got yelled at, told to wake up, etc. I just got used to it out there. We all did. But I rarely had a coach every swear in front of me until I was like 17 or 18.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Aww good luck jill! what kind of job is it?

Nev- You know, it's a hard one about the hockey. I played competitive sports all my life and so did my brothers. I always got yelled at, told to wake up, etc. I just got used to it out there. We all did. But I rarely had a coach every swear in front of me until I was like 17 or 18.

Thank you!! This place is a mobile Xray company, it goes to places like nursing homes, prison, rehab centres, where the person cannot easily get to a hospital.... So you're making the appts, doing reports, etc. I applied for the customer service posotion, and the manager said that by reading my resume he feels I'm more qualified for the CSR supervisor job and he'd like to interview me for that instead. You would be supervising a team of 5 people. The best part, to me is that it's a 10 minute drive from home! Can't ask for a better commute than that, hours are 8-4:30 which is good too! So I have my fingers crossed....

Edited by JillA

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.