July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I got summoned for Jury Duty on May 26th and I'm supposed to move June 6th!!!

They included a letter about how they are choosing a jury for a case that is expected to go for 5 weeks!!!

I have no problem going for jury duty - actually I think it would be kind of interesting... but BAD TIMING!!!

I am not postponing my move for jury duty!!!

I think I'm going to buy my plane ticket and tell them I already had travel arrangements.

Or you could do like 90% of the people in the U.S. and just throw it away and say you never got it :whistle:

It's not like the U.S. is going to extradite you back to Canada :P

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They included a letter about how they are choosing a jury for a case that is expected to go for 5 weeks!!!

I have no problem going for jury duty - actually I think it would be kind of interesting... but BAD TIMING!!!

I think I'm going to buy my plane ticket and tell them I already had travel arrangements.

Oh no! Not just travel arrangements, tell them you're moving to a new country and there is no way you can participate! I was never called for JD, always thought it might be cool though.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Timeline

Yikes. My cousin and her husband had airline tickets to come and visit me last year when he got called for jury duty. THEY WOULD NOT LET HIM OFF!!!!! :angry: We had to cancel all our reservations and they lost the money on the tickets. Hopefully, you get a much more understanding judge than he got. Leaving the country might be a bigger persuader than airline tickets.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yikes. My cousin and her husband had airline tickets to come and visit me last year when he got called for jury duty. THEY WOULD NOT LET HIM OFF!!!!! :angry: We had to cancel all our reservations and they lost the money on the tickets. Hopefully, you get a much more understanding judge than he got. Leaving the country might be a bigger persuader than airline tickets.

That sucks! I actually got summoned in Feb '07 but had already booked a plane ticket to NYC to visit my bf and they let me off.

I'm debating whether or not I should book my flight tonight. I have to book it anyways, and it would be better proof that I'm leaving. I'm also sending them my resignation to HR and a copy of my K1 visa.

If that doesn't suffice my friend who is in law school just told me to tell the lawyers interviewing me that i took a class about law and they won't want me.. ha.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm tired of not knowing when our petition is going to come back. They keep saying I don'tknow and it keeps stressing me out because I don't want it to get lost..its f**king frustrating

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm tired of not knowing when our petition is going to come back. They keep saying I don'tknow and it keeps stressing me out because I don't want it to get lost..its f**king frustrating

That's really frustrating, but I doubt it will be lost. Just keep calling and try not to get too frustrated.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
what bothers me is when people talk and talk and don't let you get a word in..

in high school I had a friend like that.. she would call me up and stat yammering away and all I could say was uh-huh or yeah.... one time my mom needed my help so I put the phone down and went to help her and came back and she was still talking, she had not realized that I had left ..:lol:

My brother-in-law is like that. He likes to think he's a scholar -- on everything. He's a smart guy, but he can't know everything. That's not a knock against him. It's impossible to be an expert on every subject in life.

Yep - youth are way too entitled. You can blame the parents (and sometimes society) . Right now overall, we are allowing our children to do more at an earlier age. We want them to have everything and to come by it easily with little personal effort. We as parents make excuses for our kids and swoop in to solve their problems constantly

I'm sorry Amanda - as a parent....I can see other parents doing it and also myself. As for the violence issue -= no respects personal space or authority (again mostly a parenting issue IMO) kids fluff off mostly everything as 'no big deal' And then they become adults and they don't know how to deal with everyday disaapointments or situations that they themselves got into........i think in actuality, they are pissy because there isn't an easy solution like mummy and daddy offer and they have NO problem solving skills to cope.

$500 of parking bills? I assume that's not just a single ticket - how come she didn't get it the first time or 2? I wouldn't have sent a bus for her, just perpetuated the 'you deserve special treatment' scenario....but it was nice of you on a rainy day.

It's funny you should mention that. I picked a book up at the library about that very subject. It's called "The Death of the Grown-Up" by Diana West. I can't say I agree with everything she writes (she seems to somewhat idealize the 1940s and 1950s), but she does make a number of good points.

In hard economic times, sales people are more aggressive. This sucks. On Friday I had a sales lady call me from our copy company asking to speak with me. I pretended I was someone else and said: "Nevada isn't here" and she said: "Okay I'll drop by.." and I said: "Well no, I'll tell her you called and if she is interested, she'll call you"

So today she drops by. I have no clue who she is, she just walked into the office and said: "Nevada?" and I looked up and said yes. And she proceeded to talk to me about copiers and blah blah blah.

I was sooo annoyed at her. I mean she's assuming I have nothing else better to do. We have your crappy copiers and duplicators and they have been nothing but a pain in our necks. Go away! So I just told her how much I hated the copier and how we have someone servicing it every other week, and then she asks me to demonstrate the problem. No! I am busy! So I just told her to leave her stuff with me and if I am interested I'll call her. She asks me to set up an appointment and I tell her again: "If I am interested, I will call you"

Then she asks me for my last name and I tell her I am not allowed to give out that information. :lol:

She got really confused and I guess she got the hint because she finally left.

I've always found salespeople to be overly aggressive. I'm not quite sure what they expect from that. If someone begins annoying me, I'm far less likely to listen to them, let alone purchase something from them. Usually management forces them into it, if by nothing else, through commission.

I remember working at Future Shop on a seasonal basis. The commission sales there were so cutthroat that salespeople would steal customers from one another and often right in front of the original salesperson. That cause fights, many of which occurred right in front of the customer. That's unprofessional to me.

I was "let go" because I didn't hound people to the point of annoyance and I actually tried to help them, as opposed to selling them ####### they didn't necessarily want. I think a good salesperson puts greater effort into making their store friendly and helpful. Even if someone doesn't buy something that time, they're more likely to return if they received help instead of pushy sales techniques. Better yet, they'll recommend the place to their friends and family. Long-term customers are worth a lot more than a quick sale here or there.

If that doesn't suffice my friend who is in law school just told me to tell the lawyers interviewing me that i took a class about law and they won't want me.. ha.

Haha. We actually asked my friend, who is a deputy police chief, what to do about it. He gave us all kinds of pointers but it still didn't work. I guess that judge had just had it up to his eyeballs on people trying to get out of jury duty and he wasn't letting anyone get away with it. LOL

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

CANADA POST SUCKS ****!!!! Or at least the Embassy does :(

I hate lack of consistency...

Someone who interviewed the day before us and some one who interviewed the same day as us, both just got their Visa's yesterday (VERY HAPPY FOR THEM :) ) but... #######... I put my tracking number in and nothing... so either the Embassy is unorganized with no method, or Canada Post is *** up! :angry:

Ok, that's all, I feel better now that I said my peace :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Someone who interviewed the day before us and some one who interviewed the same day as us, both just got their Visa's yesterday (VERY HAPPY FOR THEM :) ) but... #######... I put my tracking number in and nothing... so either the Embassy is unorganized with no method, or Canada Post is *** up! :angry:

aww :( I hope it comes later today!!! I hear they only update their website once a day

Date of I-751 = 03/05/2011

NOA Date = 3/08/2011

Biometrics = 04/11/2011

Approved = 09/08/2011

Timeline

so I am a little ticked..

I just found out that the 19,000 Alaska airline air-miles my hubby had have been deleted from his account :o they actually were deleted last year in April ... I guess they have a new rule as of last year that if you haven't had any activity on your account for 2 years they erase your miles... they probably did warn us but we really don't pay attention to the emails we get from them

mvSuprise-hug.gif

so I am a little ticked..

I just found out that the 19,000 Alaska airline air-miles my hubby had have been deleted from his account :o they actually were deleted last year in April ... I guess they have a new rule as of last year that if you haven't had any activity on your account for 2 years they erase your miles... they probably did warn us but we really don't pay attention to the emails we get from them

Call them (or email) and tell them you didn't know. Sometimes they'll take pity on your and give them back. Or at least a portion of them. Worth a try, anyway.

iagree.gif

Ok, I take it back... I just got a Canada Post notification that my Visa is on it's way!!! :dance:

I guess this is no longer a vent? lol!

But the real vent is.... I had to pull a huge amount from my savings to pay off a car I just bought, as they will not allow me to take my loan to the US :( I got screwed by the dealership who knew I was moving! I talked to a lawyer who said I had a case, but my costs would exceed my damages :(

GRRRR!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Who got to stick 5000 labels on open house invites today? MEEE!

Oh I'm soooo lucky!

Thanks ricoh for making a crappy copier that can't seem to get the job done right. I really appreciate it. :D

However I am quite pleased I got it all done when they said it would take me today and tomorrow, I busted those labels out in 2 hours b1tches. My hands feel funny.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.