The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My vent is when work calls me at 11 P.M. just to tell me the till is short $30 dollars when they could have just left me a message and I'd get it when I show up 8 freaking hours later.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From the - you are kidding right? file

In January Progress Energy raised our electricity bills by 25%.

Yesterday we get our power bill and it says this:

"Progress Energy provides relief to customers with decrease in 2009 customer bills".

It then goes on with some heart warming blurb about providing immediate relief "for our customers during this challenging economic downturn".

Umm yeah. They lowered rates by 11% - seems to me that still means an increase of 14% for 2009.

They applied for the decrease in February and it has now been approved, so one can surmise from this that they got a few complaints and then decided to retract part of the increase.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So... my wife goes to EB Games and starts looking around the PC and Wii gaming sections. One of the store's staff walks up to her and asks, "Can I help you look for something?"

She replies that she's "just browsing." The salesman then says, "What does your boyfriend like? Maybe I can suggest a game or two."

My wife looks at him and responds, "I'm married and I'm looking for a game that I'd like to play; not my husband."

The salesman apparently takes a melodramatic step backwards and says, "Wow! A girl gaming? That's pretty unusual."

Heavily annoyed, my wife left the store. I certainly can't blame her.

I can't understand why any salesperson would act that way towards a potential customer. If you piss a customer off, not only will they refuse to buy from you, but they'll tell family and friends about their negative experience. Even if that salesman thought "girl gamers" were an anomaly (which they aren't today), he should've kept his mouth shut.

The funny thing is my wife has been gaming for a long, long time. She started off with Zork, which I'm sure was released before that salesman was ever born. She and I actually met on a Sierra On-Line message board (through the Gabriel Knight and Quest For Glory sections) as she plays lots of Adventure Games, or at least she did in the 80s and early-to-mid 90s.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
So... my wife goes to EB Games and starts looking around the PC and Wii gaming sections. One of the store's staff walks up to her and asks, "Can I help you look for something?"

She replies that she's "just browsing." The salesman then says, "What does your boyfriend like? Maybe I can suggest a game or two."

My wife looks at him and responds, "I'm married and I'm looking for a game that I'd like to play; not my husband."

The salesman apparently takes a melodramatic step backwards and says, "Wow! A girl gaming? That's pretty unusual."

I can't understand why any salesperson would act that way towards a potential customer. If you piss a customer off, not only will they refuse to buy from you, but they'll tell family and friends about their negative experience. Even if that salesman thought "girl gamers" were an anomaly (which they aren't today), he should've kept his mouth shut.

The funny thing is my wife has been gaming for a long, long time. She started off with Zork, which I'm sure was released before that salesman was ever born. She and I actually met on a Sierra On-Line message board (through the Gabriel Knight and Quest For Glory sections) as she plays lots of Adventure Games, or at least she did in the 80s and early-to-mid 90s.

Girls get that all the time. At Walmart a similar thing happened after I said I wanted the Quantum of Solace game for myself . Its rude and annoying but it will probably never change sadly.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Timeline

I hate utility companies. I think their tag line should be Progress Energy - where you bill will always be progressively higher. :wacko:

From the - you are kidding right? file

In January Progress Energy raised our electricity bills by 25%.

Yesterday we get our power bill and it says this:

"Progress Energy provides relief to customers with decrease in 2009 customer bills".

It then goes on with some heart warming blurb about providing immediate relief "for our customers during this challenging economic downturn".

Umm yeah. They lowered rates by 11% - seems to me that still means an increase of 14% for 2009.

They applied for the decrease in February and it has now been approved, so one can surmise from this that they got a few complaints and then decided to retract part of the increase.

DPX, maybe that was his lame way of hitting on your wife and seeing if she was taken? Kidding, the gaming world will always be presumed to be solely a male adventure. I would have been pissed too. What an idiot.

I started with those games too, and somehow have never left them.

Wow... there are a lot of girl gamers, all of which I'm sure would be pissed off at that response. I work with no less than THREE girls who consider themselves gamers, one of which is actually going to school for game development (and I'm sure she's the only, or one of very FEW girls in her class)... they're still a minority in the gaming world, but it's CERTAINLY not THAT rare that he should've reacted like that, and regardless that was rude nonetheless. ARGH.... I hate guys like that. It makes it all the harder for women to prove themselves in a man's environment.

:angry:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline
Wow... there are a lot of girl gamers, all of which I'm sure would be pissed off at that response. I work with no less than THREE girls who consider themselves gamers, one of which is actually going to school for game development (and I'm sure she's the only, or one of very FEW girls in her class)... they're still a minority in the gaming world, but it's CERTAINLY not THAT rare that he should've reacted like that, and regardless that was rude nonetheless. ARGH.... I hate guys like that. It makes it all the harder for women to prove themselves in a man's environment.

:angry:

My mom had a similar experience, but instead of EB Games it was a Mercedes dealership. She called them up and the salespeople were extremely dismissive of her. They even told her to "bring her husband" when she stops by if she's serious in purchasing from them.

Needless to say, my mom wasn't too happy at their response. She ended up getting a Lexus instead. :D

Timeline

I agree with...all you female gamers. D: I'll go into EB or Gamespot, and if I'm by myself, they ask who I'm buying for...and if I'm with my husband, they tend to ignore me all together. My recent experience was, I went in looking for the newest Pokemon game. :lol: And he thought I was shopping for my non-existent kid. o_o

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

SO.. in the continuing Sega of my Japanese friend, she now has a mid-wife and is having a home birth because she doesn't have medical insurance. HOLY :blink:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
SO.. in the continuing Sega of my Japanese friend, she now has a mid-wife and is having a home birth because she doesn't have medical insurance. HOLY :blink:

Isn't she in Canada? I thought all provinces had basic health insurance. Maybe birth isn't covered since it's technically a voluntary situation?

Timeline

Isn't she in Canada? I thought all provinces had basic health insurance. Maybe birth isn't covered since it's technically a voluntary situation?

She's not legally entitled to any benefits in canada.. she's out of status. She gets nothing until her PR status is in place (+ 3 months for being in ONT). She's outta luck.

Common error though.. Canada just doesn't give out free health care.. you have to be contributing to the system. She's not entitled to work, so she's not paying in. Have to give something to get something.. nothing is free in this world.

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I agree with...all you female gamers. D: I'll go into EB or Gamespot, and if I'm by myself, they ask who I'm buying for...and if I'm with my husband, they tend to ignore me all together. My recent experience was, I went in looking for the newest Pokemon game. :lol: And he thought I was shopping for my non-existent kid. o_o

Oh Oh - I can top this - was looking for a new graphics card at Microcenter a few weeks back - couldn't obviously see on the packaging whether it was for a doubleside slot or a single - had to ask the guy, Don was standing behind me - the guy answers my husband instead of me and then says- well you're all set NOW YOU CAN GO SHOE SHOPPING FOR HER....holy frigging idiotic and sexist! Don responded with 'it's for my wife's PC dude'

I like our Gamestop - they have a healthy handful of female employees who can seriously discuss a variety of games at length! I love the 1 girl, she must be about 17 - a total geek, but she's got a bod on her and dresses perhaps a little 'sexy' shall we say for Gamestop - I love the contrast....so says 'I'm know I may be cute, but I can kick your ####### in HALO anyday!'

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.