July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

That is pretty insightful for a creative writing assignment from a 10 year old. Good job to him!

I am finding, talking about things with my Fiance, that Americans are VERY patriotic. If I mention to him that their health care system in the US really leaves something to be desired as it is not really accessible to everyone if you don't have any $ or insurance through work, he will bluntly tell me that the US is the best place to be in the world and it has the best health care system......etc. I can give him all sorts of examples until I am blue in the face about why a universal health care system, like every other country in the world has is way better for everyone, and he will just stick to his guns the the US is best.

I think alot of Americans (most but not all) don't see outside of their country and have teh same beliefs that everything about the US is perfect and everyone wants to be like them So....perhaps his teacher is overly patriotic and has a closed mind about how other people from different places view things that the US does.

Still all in all....odd that she would find anything offensive in what your son wrote, as there isn't anything offensive there.

Wow, I just realized how lucky I have been through my adult life with my choice of friends. My friends and I have always discussed the U.S. While many of us are patriotic, we also see the flaws in the U.S. and the strengths in other systems. Yes, I love my country, but I also see how there are areas where it needs to improve (health care and social services being couple IMO).

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just realized how lucky I have been through my adult life with my choice of friends. My friends and I have always discussed the U.S. While many of us are patriotic, we also see the flaws in the U.S. and the strengths in other systems. Yes, I love my country, but I also see how there are areas where it needs to improve (health care and social services being couple IMO).

Same here.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
No one is going to notice your platinum trimmed plates from Milan missy.

I would. :blush:

God Bless Africa

When I go places I always see God Bless America. Everybody wants God to bless this country and take care of this country. I think God is busy blessing and helping the countries who need it the most like in Africa and the Middle East.

I don't think America should ask God to bless it all the time because God is busy with countries who need him more. I don't think America should keep asking for something it already has. Why don't we ask God to bless the whole world so that everyone has a chance? Why does America ask for so much of God's help?

Now if you ask me America does not need help. America is fine. The rest of the world is not. There is a lot of problems in Africa and other places. Places you have never heard of and places we should all be helping. I think we should change it to: "God Bless Africa and God Bless the whole world" I think God would like that too.

Ohmygoodness, Nevada, that's a fabulous piece. Good for him. And shame on the teacher for being so close-minded and intolerant. Thank goodness he won't have her next year. I hope.

Okay remember to use good china when krikit comes over. :P

Jk I don't have china.

And no he's off to middle school next year so new teachers and new atmosphere.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes I have before... she was not exactly on my side with things in the past. Wanted Ethan tested for ADD a couple of months ago and basically sat there in the school meeting advocating the use of pills and what wonders it had done for her son.

I could go back to her about this but she and I just didn't get along that one day. I don't know if she'd hold the past against me or what. I am just weary.

I've got ADHD. My brother has it (worse than I do) and so does my dad, but when he was growing up, they had no idea what it was.

For all of those with ADD/ADHD out there, I present this magazine:

addmagazine.jpg

Damn, I wish that really existed. I'd subscribe -- for the flying tanks, if no other reason!

@ Nev - Just out of curiosity - have you had contact with the school counselor or social worker?

I can't believe I missed that Sentinel was DeadPoolX ... totally over my head. I guess I just thought, wow his writing style seems so similar to DPX .... I am clueless! LOL

All is proceeding as I have foreseen it! :devil:

Timeline

I hate telemarketers. Especially the ones that are automated, since I can't screw with their minds. We've received calls from all over the place and it's become quite annoying.

We recently got a call from a Canadian telemarketer (although I didn't know it until I picked up the phone) and I got lucky: it was a real person. I say "lucky" because I can mimic voices nearly perfectly, some of which my best include Arnold Schwarzenegger and Don LaFontaine (the guy who says "in a world" in movie trailers).

I chose Schwarzenegger this time and said: "Why are you calling here? I am the governor of California! We have an Ontario too and our state abbreviation is CA! Do not call here again or I will unleash Chuck Norris on you!"

They hung up quick. My wife couldn't believe I did that and started laughing. :P

Timeline

they have do not call lists that you can put your number on and it stops the telemarketers from calling

here is the one for Canada

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng

here is the one for the US

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I hate telemarketers. Especially the ones that are automated, since I can't screw with their minds. We've received calls from all over the place and it's become quite annoying.

We recently got a call from a Canadian telemarketer (although I didn't know it until I picked up the phone) and I got lucky: it was a real person. I say "lucky" because I can mimic voices nearly perfectly, some of which my best include Arnold Schwarzenegger and Don LaFontaine (the guy who says "in a world" in movie trailers).

I chose Schwarzenegger this time and said: "Why are you calling here? I am the governor of California! We have an Ontario too and our state abbreviation is CA! Do not call here again or I will unleash Chuck Norris on you!"

They hung up quick. My wife couldn't believe I did that and started laughing. :P

Hehehe, I had an old boyfriend who loved to mess with them too. His favourite was to try and sell them something back - every time they tried to say something about their product or service, he would provide a similar comment about his own product or service. It was hilarious to listen to him - he had a great time at it - and I never saw him come away the loser. They always ended the call first.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
they have do not call lists that you can put your number on and it stops the telemarketers from calling

I never tried one of these, was always worried I would get MORE calls after giving them our phone number.

Any one use this and not get phone calls anymore?

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Timeline

I never tried one of these, was always worried I would get MORE calls after giving them our phone number.

Any one use this and not get phone calls anymore?

yeah I used it and it does seem to cut down on the telemarketer calls.. it definitely didn't increase the number of calls

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Wow, alot of venting and good discussion going on today!

Nev - I cannot believe Ethan's teacher. Really. What he wrote is insightful and I don't understand what is wrong. Maybe his teacher is an extremely patriotic person or something, but I also wonder why "God Bless America" is said all the time and on bumper stickers and painted on houses (yes I've seen that). His point of view is very smart for a child of his age.

Amanda - I love reading your bridezilla stories, because they are shocking! If my sister said those things to my friends, I'd kick her a$$!! I can't believe you're all expected to pay so much for the shower, what ever happened to a shower at someone's house with tea and sandwiches!? And the McDonald's thing is SO out of line, is that sort of sarcasm necessary!? Now when you say 2 girls have been fired or whatever from their duties, was that the bride or MOH's decision? And will it ruin the friendship b/w them?

Re: Telemarketers - yes they are super annoying, but that's why I have caller ID. I just don't answer if I don't recognize the #. I can't bring myself to be rude or hang up, because they have a job to do even if it's annoying.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

We have registered our land line and cells with the do not call registry. We were getting innumerable calls a day prior to that from telemarketers. Now we just get them from charities and non-profits who are apparently exempt from the registry. When we do get a call - very occasionally - from a telemarketer I ask in a horrified voice if they knew they were calling someone on the no call registry. There is silence at first and then they apologize and hang up. Hehehe.

There are some automated calls, however, that I have ended up reporting. You can use this website to figure out who is calling: http://whocalled.us/ and then you can report them to the No Call Registry here using the 'file a complaint' option: https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

You definitely don't get more calls and it has been a godsend for us.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Oh and about the $25,000 average cost of a wedding - that's nuts! We are budgeting $10,000 and that's all our own $$. If our parents are kind enough to contribute something, that's great but we are NOT expecting a dime from them. We are grown adults and can save/pay for our own wedding. I already bought my Martha Stewart invites at Walmart for $10 a box, got 2 boxes! I do them on my computer! They are lovely. No need to spend tons of $$.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.