July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

I was the one who told my parents I had ADD. I found an article about it in a magazine in our school library in 5th grade and it had one of those "Check the boxes for each statement that's true, if you check more than 6 boxes, you may have ADD" checklists. I had 8 of the 10 things on the list. I took it home and showed my parents who told me I was overreacting, and that there was nothing wrong with me. I was in the "gifted" class and my grades were good (though my teachers complained that I was disorganized and disruptive), so that meant I was okay.

Fast forward 3 years, and my grades are ####### and my parents and I couldn't have a civil conversation. My mom and I got into a screaming match over my grades, and I finally told her (loudly) that I couldn't focus in class, and I couldn't figure out how the hell to get homework done and turned in. They took me to a counselor who told them that I was probably the most textbook case of ADD she'd ever seen. Once I was diagnosed and treated, my grades really improved and so did my social skills. I stopped taking meds in college, and focused on learning adaptive lifeskills that allow me to function (semi)normally in the "Real World" :D

I've seen misdiagnoses do bad things to people, and I've seen other students (in college) "fake" symptoms to be able to get ritalin to study longer. It's not for everyone, but it does help some people.

Good for you. It's just like a mental illness in that there are so many myths out there that people have preconceived notions about what the diagnosis is. I truly believe at one time that too many kids were diagnosed. It's like a pendelum, too many at one time, then all this bad press comes out, and then people balk at having their child diagnosed as ADD or ADHD. Each parent, Doctor, and whatever other professional is involved have to make informed decisions.

It shouldn't matter what anyone else "thinks", if it helps your child. If you truly believe that the "professionals", are misdiagnosing, then again, as a parent, you have to weigh the options and decide if diet over medication might help. It's a really tough call. I never had to make that call as my kids didn't have it, however I know many parents who had to go through this, and they always believed they were damned if they did, and damned if they didn't.

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

There are some posters in OT whom I think USCIS should be given a link to their postings here to demonstrate their utter ignorance and lack of a clear grasp on reality and logic. :innocent:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sometimes, I think I'm gonna call Glenn Beck on my own workplace and be #6 added to his wall.

I had a coworker (whose off on vacation) call me on my line and ask if I can look at a claim for her. Apparently, her friend put that she worked some self-employment as she was working during the Ironman. She asked that I take the payments off of hold, so the checks that are pending can go out into the mail and my coworker who is back on Friday will "take care of it" then. So I said, ummmmmmm why would I take them off of hold, I need information from this person to see if she can get paid. She said, oh no worries, I'll do it so you're not bogged down with so much work. She's been working here for 20 years. She KNOWS that's not how things are done.

So I go to see my supervisor and explain what happened, cause essentially that's fraud. She just said sometimes working here you just have to take people's actions with a grain of salt. I'll talk to her on Friday and make sure she remembers that she's not supposed to do that. :blink:

Like are you f-ing kidding me. Your employee just asked me to pay someone without knowing if they were eligible for the payments?! :angry:

So my boss tells me last week that I need to use up my vacation days so I decided to take t his week off. Also turns out one of my co-workers is at a conference this week as well. My boss has no problems with this.

So I wake up with a huge headache this morning and decided to take nap at 12. My co-worker that's in the office calls and wakes me up because she doesn't know the password to log on to other co-worker's computer (the one thats at a conference). You'd think if she needed access to it she would have asked before she left... GRR!

Honestly, I don't call people at home when they're off. They took time off to be away from work!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

That would irritate the ####### out of me. But boy, am I jealous of you having so much time to take off! I have used up all of my paid days save for 2 visiting my husband/having him visit me.

Now we're planning on having him come down end of November for our first anniversary and having me go there for xmas. Can you say loads of unpaid days and the possibility that my boss'll say no?

Sorry... totally crashed your vent...

:|

So my boss tells me last week that I need to use up my vacation days so I decided to take t his week off. Also turns out one of my co-workers is at a conference this week as well. My boss has no problems with this.

So I wake up with a huge headache this morning and decided to take nap at 12. My co-worker that's in the office calls and wakes me up because she doesn't know the password to log on to other co-worker's computer (the one thats at a conference). You'd think if she needed access to it she would have asked before she left... GRR!

Honestly, I don't call people at home when they're off. They took time off to be away from work!

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

I have so many days off because I barely took any this year. My boss is wonderful enough to let me work from Varba's when I'm visiting, so I had quite a few left.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just got reamed out by some stranger on craigslist for posting a rant in housing listings that mentioned a person cannot be evicted for pets. My main rant was about how some responses I sent out for apartments yielded a scam artist from West Africa supposedly trying to rent a Toronto apartment.

Anyway they told me that I am wrong and should do my homework before wrongly educating renters.

So I plastered his behind with a bunch of links to the Residential Tenancies Act and all, saying UNEQUIVOCALLY, no, a landlord cannot evict a tenant simply for having a pet (only if that pet is destructive or noisy or dangerous -- like a tarantula) :lol:

it was surprisingly good stress relief. until he emails back.

In real life, getting along with a landlord is not all about the law. But seriously, landlords try to get away with such $h|t. Or they don't know any better.

But, in Ontario:

It is illegal to require post-dated cheques or direct bank withdrawal

It is illegal to collect a deposit greater than one housing payment (ie last month's rent)

It is illegal to discriminate against people with children (refusing to rent to them even when you have reasonable amount of space)

It is illegal to make someone sign a termination agreement when signing a lease agreement

Tenants don't know their rights, and landlords use that to their advantage. That's the way the world works and I don't take objection to that.

What I DO object to is being lambasted for stating these facts as if I am somehow spreading lies.

<insert clip of Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men>

Edited by KnJ

I'm currently coughing my lungs out and having a bit of a hard time breathing.

All thanks to my 4 co workers who decided to spread it around.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

Moi aussi. :crying:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Sometimes, I think I'm gonna call Glenn Beck on my own workplace and be #6 added to his wall.

I had a coworker (whose off on vacation) call me on my line and ask if I can look at a claim for her. Apparently, her friend put that she worked some self-employment as she was working during the Ironman. She asked that I take the payments off of hold, so the checks that are pending can go out into the mail and my coworker who is back on Friday will "take care of it" then. So I said, ummmmmmm why would I take them off of hold, I need information from this person to see if she can get paid. She said, oh no worries, I'll do it so you're not bogged down with so much work. She's been working here for 20 years. She KNOWS that's not how things are done.

So I go to see my supervisor and explain what happened, cause essentially that's fraud. She just said sometimes working here you just have to take people's actions with a grain of salt. I'll talk to her on Friday and make sure she remembers that she's not supposed to do that. :blink:

Like are you f-ing kidding me. Your employee just asked me to pay someone without knowing if they were eligible for the payments?! :angry:

Ugh sounds like some shady stuff may be going on. :(

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I hope you'll be okay. : <

Drink lots of hot chocolate. :D

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

My rant? Drivers. Why do people NOT pay attention to their driving???? There was just an accident outside the office due to someone not paying any attention to what they are doing. Fire truck, ambulance, the whole deal. I had to call 911 to make sure an ambulance had been called for. Arghhhhhh.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
My rant? Drivers. Why do people NOT pay attention to their driving???? There was just an accident outside the office due to someone not paying any attention to what they are doing. Fire truck, ambulance, the whole deal. I had to call 911 to make sure an ambulance had been called for. Arghhhhhh.

Yeah, I hate it when fire truck and ambulance drivers don't pay attention. :lol: Seriously, I'm all for phone conversation/make-up application/mass comsumption/fornication during driving, as long as I'm not on the road when it happens. I don't even drive with the radio on, since it might be a distraction.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Yeah I don't know why people don't pay attention - it's a weird phenomenon. I pay a great deal of attention to my driving - prob too much in fact as it has put me off driving altogether now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I hate it when fire truck and ambulance drivers don't pay attention. :lol: Seriously, I'm all for phone conversation/make-up application/mass comsumption/fornication during driving, as long as I'm not on the road when it happens. I don't even drive with the radio on, since it might be a distraction.

No radio? I couldn't deal with that.

I typically pay attention pretty well.

It's going to be illegal most places down here to talk on a cell phone in the car, so that should help.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.