July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

if you didnt turn it on after it got stuff spilt into it it might be ok. If you can take off the casing, you can clean any sticky residue off the motherboard with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol, make sure its completely dry before you try to turn it on again, or you might short your motherboard.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just talking with my brother and he said in the event the motherboard is fried it would probably cost more then the laptop is worth to replace... :unsure:

I keep thinking that I wish I had never put the coke by the laptop... :wacko:

and the other thing is that hubby is going to get paid for the courses he finished yesterday, @ $750 bucks that is about what we paid for the laptop :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I was just talking with my brother and he said in the event the motherboard is fried it would probably cost more then the laptop is worth to replace... :unsure:

and the other thing is that hubby is going to get paid for the courses he finished yesterday, @ $750 bucks that is about what we paid for the laptop :P

Yeah the problem with laptops is the parts individually cost more than a new machine, so if its fried your much better just getting a new one. The good thing though is that if it didnt affect the hard drive, you should be able to recover the data from it. Yay for getting money too!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

so I have calmed down some :P.. it is only a laptop, not the end of the world... it is jsut the money that is bothering me.. Ia m a big worrier when it comes to money..

we also need a new fridge, ours is on it's last legs :P and I was going to get our passports within the next couple of weeks, so we can go to Canada for Christmas... hubby said I could go by myself but I don't want to :( and he already scheduled those days off so he would be sitting here at home all by himself if I went...

everything seems to come all at once

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
so I have calmed down some :P.. it is only a laptop, not the end of the world... it is jsut the money that is bothering me.. Ia m a big worrier when it comes to money..

we also need a new fridge, ours is on it's last legs :P and I was going to get our passports within the next couple of weeks, so we can go to Canada for Christmas... hubby said I could go by myself but I don't want to :( and he already scheduled those days off so he would be sitting here at home all by himself if I went...

everything seems to come all at once

*hugs* it all comes in 3's so things should be getting better for you now!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Yeah the problem with laptops is the parts individually cost more than a new machine, so if its fried your much better just getting a new one. The good thing though is that if it didnt affect the hard drive, you should be able to recover the data from it. Yay for getting money too!

I am hoping it didn't affect the hard drive.. I have some pictures we took on the laptop, that is about the only thing on there that I wouldn't want to lose.. i really wished I would have uploaded them on my computer too...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

argh, brothers.. :P

in the event that the laptop doesn't work.. I want to get a laptop that is similar... similar screen size, keyboard size, built in cd drive etc.. but my brother says no, you should get a netbook... he has been bugging me about that ever since we got this laptop :P yeah a netbook would be fine for traveling etc but for our own personal at home use computer I would rather have a larger one... but once my brother gets something stuck in his head he doesn't let up :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
argh, brothers.. :P

in the event that the laptop doesn't work.. I want to get a laptop that is similar... similar screen size, keyboard size, built in cd drive etc.. but my brother says no, you should get a netbook... he has been bugging me about that ever since we got this laptop :P yeah a netbook would be fine for traveling etc but for our own personal at home use computer I would rather have a larger one... but once my brother gets something stuck in his head he doesn't let up :P

Unless you're playing graphics intensive games, video editing, or running massive programs, he is probably right. If you're using it for web browsing, pictures and word processing, then a net book is right what you need. :thumbs:

P.S.

Brothers are always right...... just ask my sister. :lol:

Edited by Rob and Mel

Timeline

umm, but we don't want the small screen

I did find a single core laptop with a 15 inch screen though for about 400 bucks..

there is also one that is about 150 bucks more that comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 and has a bigger hard drive

and according to the reviews it has great battery life which is something that was lacking with out current laptop.. the battery would only last maybe 2 hours sometimes less depending on what you were doing...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I've got one with a 17" s creen and it was too cumbersome to really be portable. In hindsight, I would have gone with a 13" or a netbook. I was wholeheartedly against the netbooks, then I started messing around with one at BestBuy, and now I want one :lol:

My apologies, I was thinking usage as opposed to you wanting a bigger screen. Has it been confirmed that your old one is DOA?

Timeline

no, brother says to let it dry out for a few days before seeing if it works...

well we care about usage too.. the one we have now is ok for traveling with and yes if we were going on a lot of trips etc, a netbook would be perfect.. but we mainly use the laptop at home... it is essentially my hubby's computer and I have my desktop...

the one we have now is a gateway with 15.4 inch screen.. we were quite happy with it except the batter life :P

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

well we care about usage too.. the one we have now is ok for traveling with and yes if we were going on a lot of trips etc, a netbook would be perfect.. but we mainly use the laptop at home... it is essentially my hubby's computer and I have my desktop...

the one we have now is a gateway with 15.4 inch screen.. we were quite happy with it except the batter life :P

Laptop batteries suck, period. Do you have it plugged in mostly when using it at home?

Timeline

Laptop batteries suck, period. Do you have it plugged in mostly when using it at home?

yeah we do..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I was reading reviews on the laptop I was looking at and most of them were raving about the battery life.. one guy said he got about 7 hours..

it is an Acer Timeline laptop

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

yeah we do..

When you have it plugged in at home, take the battery out (If it is charged up), and put it back in when using it without the chord.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.