July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well you may not want to apply for certain govt jobs,lol They have some lie detector exams where they ask very very very personal questions! Forget the name of it. One comes out of them pretty beat up too.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Today is a bad day!

So, Bill and I are looking into buying a house... not very seriously, more of a casual search. We both realize that its not a good time to purchase our first home, with the expense of the wedding and the move then AOS coming up on us rather quickly, but we want to be well educated when the time comes. While looking online, we found this gorgeous home for a very reasonable price in the area we've always wanted to live in. We knew that price was too good to be true, and that there must be something wrong with it. I was thinking It would need some new floors, or maybe some plumbing or electrical work. He called up a real estate agent his grandmother works with and got more information. Well, it really was to good to be true! The house has a shifting foundation that would cost $60,000 to repair with no guarantee the ground will stop moving and the problem won't occur again. So the house is virtually worthless. I should have known better but I'm really disappointed... the house was so cute.

I'm suddenly unemployed now as well... I called and gave my employer 2 weeks notice. I work part time at Tim Hortons, its not a career or even a decent job, just some place I've used to fund my education for the last 4 years. She was so mad at me when I quit... Why? Did she honestly expect me to work there for the rest of my life? I gave her more than enough notice. Most employees call and quit on the spot. I went in today to get my schedule and she deleted me... I'm not even on the list anymore. I'm so mad right now. That's what I get for being an honest person. I guess I should have just did what everyone else does, at least I could have made some money before I left.

To make matters worse, I have a splitting headache and Its making me feel horribly sick... I haven't ate anything all day. I love food!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^^ That's really rude!! Especially for a franchise like that! You would think she would need to follow some sort of protocol.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
^^ That's really rude!! Especially for a franchise like that! You would think she would need to follow some sort of protocol.

I agree! Unfortunately my manager is... not the nicest lady on the planet. It just bothers me that I wasn't given common courtesy when I've worked my butt off for them for 4 years! I constantly cover shifts when people call in sick or fail to show... just last week I covered 3. I'm the only person who does that. Oh well, karma is a b*tch.

Filed: Timeline
I agree! Unfortunately my manager is... not the nicest lady on the planet. It just bothers me that I wasn't given common courtesy when I've worked my butt off for them for 4 years! I constantly cover shifts when people call in sick or fail to show... just last week I covered 3. I'm the only person who does that. Oh well, karma is a b*tch.

Exactly. She's shot herself in the foot. She has two weeks to stew in the fact that now, when she gets her no-shows, she has no one to call. And you're free of a nasty manager. How sweet is that?

iagree.gif

Timeline
Can't you get some sort of severence?

My thoughts exactly!

Are you in Ontario huggles?

If there's one thing I know Ontario has its employees taken care of with their labour laws. You should check them out if you feel you have been wronged. Also the owner of the tim hortons may want to know about this so I would say something.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Exactly. She's shot herself in the foot. She has two weeks to stew in the fact that now, when she gets her no-shows, she has no one to call. And you're free of a nasty manager. How sweet is that?

Yeah, don't be surprised if she calls you :lol:

Hey Huggle, since you are briefly glancing at houses - one other thing to know, regarding prices - is something called a 'short sale'. There are quite a few out there and the prices are misleading - here is basically how it works:

1. You see a house that has a great price - say 150 thousand on a house that might normally list at 200 thousand

2. In the description it will say something like - this is a short sale or sale price may not be enough to cover all costs

It's a nice realtor trick. Person is having trouble paying their mortgage or wants to move quickly. The realtor MAKES UP A PRICE! and posts that. So say you come along and offer the full 100 thousand - the owners then have to go to the bank and try to negotiate their mortgage down and ask the bank to accept your price.

This can take months and of course there is no guarantee the bank will go along with it.

Just a funny little scenario that I thought you might want to know about.

Plus - it is a grand time to be buying a house, with the tax rebate and all, but I understand that you have other expenses right now.

Filed: Timeline
Can't you get some sort of severence?

My thoughts exactly!

Are you in Ontario huggles?

If there's one thing I know Ontario has its employees taken care of with their labour laws. You should check them out if you feel you have been wronged. Also the owner of the tim hortons may want to know about this so I would say something.

As an owner, I would definitely want to be made aware of anyone mistreating my employees. As to the labour laws.... if your employment is based on a schedule, there really isn't anything that can be done if you aren't given any shifts. It can be noted, however.

Hey Huggle, since you are briefly glancing at houses - one other thing to know, regarding prices - is something called a 'short sale'. There are quite a few out there and the prices are misleading - here is basically how it works:

1. You see a house that has a great price - say 150 thousand on a house that might normally list at 200 thousand

2. In the description it will say something like - this is a short sale or sale price may not be enough to cover all costs

It's a nice realtor trick. Person is having trouble paying their mortgage or wants to move quickly. The realtor MAKES UP A PRICE! and posts that. So say you come along and offer the full 100 thousand - the owners then have to go to the bank and try to negotiate their mortgage down and ask the bank to accept your price.

This can take months and of course there is no guarantee the bank will go along with it.

That is just the weirdest thing to me. In fact, the whole real estate business in the US just has me going :blink: all the time. I'd much rather buy a house in Canada.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I called NVC yesterday due to being anxious to see if I got an interview date (extremely early I know) and they said that they don't have access to the Embassy's system and the only people who can advise of interview dates is the Embassy itself. Now, I see people who call DOS (who I assume is NVC) and ask for interview dates and have received that information. So 1. I'm mad that someone is lying to me and 2. is this correct? lol

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Timeline
I called NVC yesterday due to being anxious to see if I got an interview date (extremely early I know) and they said that they don't have access to the Embassy's system and the only people who can advise of interview dates is the Embassy itself. Now, I see people who call DOS (who I assume is NVC) and ask for interview dates and have received that information. So 1. I'm mad that someone is lying to me and 2. is this correct? lol

Calling DOS is a different kettle of fish - i'm sure someone will be along with the phone number :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Calling DOS is a different kettle of fish - i'm sure someone will be along with the phone number :thumbs:

There are more phone numbers? Oh nelly

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Timeline

As far as I know for Vancouver beans, it's the consulate who sets the interview date. Have you tried emailing them? I emailed them and let them know I was in a time crunch as I needed to buy tickets etc, and could they inform me of my interview date as soon as it had been set. It was very easy and they usually email back within 2 business days. Their email address is: vancouverk@state.gov. Remember, when emailing them you need to have: Attn: K visas VAC2009.... (whatever your file number is) in the subject line. Otherwise they won't look at it. I learned that the hard way! Good luck. They were pretty quick when we had our interview. Hopefully they're as quick now!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline
As far as I know for Vancouver beans, it's the consulate who sets the interview date. Have you tried emailing them? I emailed them and let them know I was in a time crunch as I needed to buy tickets etc, and could they inform me of my interview date as soon as it had been set. It was very easy and they usually email back within 2 business days. Their email address is: vancouverk@state.gov. Remember, when emailing them you need to have: Attn: K visas VAC2009.... (whatever your file number is) in the subject line. Otherwise they won't look at it. I learned that the hard way! Good luck. They were pretty quick when we had our interview. Hopefully they're as quick now!

i WOULD EMAIL Vancouver AND tell them the mess you had to go thru (paperwork sent to australia) they may take pitty on u and express everything

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I agree with flames! That's what I would do too.

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.