July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It all depends on the job you want DPX.

It’s perfectly acceptable to walk into a grocery store, retail store, hotel and the like and drop off a resume, ask for an application or ask to speak with someone in management. Many people will look online prior to going into a place to find out if a company is hiring, but many jobs aren’t always listed.

You could call ahead of time and ask who you would address a cover letter to, I have no issues giving out that information. It’s when people call and ask me: “Are you hiring” you’ve just wasted my time or the time of my coworkers and you just may have interrupted an important phone call. There's no introduction its just: "Are you guys hiring"

People just have to stick their necks out and get off their butts. You should see some of the resumes my husband’s design firm gets! Some of them come in boxes and are mobiles or models, puzzles and fun interactive things. His firm is one of the best and people want to work there and they’re willing to do such creative things to get noticed. Like I said it depends on what you’re looking for that will decide how you should prepare to look for a job.

But the small stuff like seasonal employment and minimum wage jobs, go out and hand out resumes. Don’t call. Many people make the effort to come in, if they wanted the job they’d come in too.

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

nm - wrong thread

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It all depends on the job you want DPX.

It’s perfectly acceptable to walk into a grocery store, retail store, hotel and the like and drop off a resume, ask for an application or ask to speak with someone in management. Many people will look online prior to going into a place to find out if a company is hiring, but many jobs aren’t always listed.

You could call ahead of time and ask who you would address a cover letter to, I have no issues giving out that information. It’s when people call and ask me: “Are you hiring” you’ve just wasted my time or the time of my coworkers and you just may have interrupted an important phone call. There's no introduction its just: "Are you guys hiring"

People just have to stick their necks out and get off their butts. You should see some of the resumes my husband’s design firm gets! Some of them come in boxes and are mobiles or models, puzzles and fun interactive things. His firm is one of the best and people want to work there and they’re willing to do such creative things to get noticed. Like I said it depends on what you’re looking for that will decide how you should prepare to look for a job.

But the small stuff like seasonal employment and minimum wage jobs, go out and hand out resumes. Don’t call. Many people make the effort to come in, if they wanted the job they’d come in too.

I guess it just depends on your take on such things.

Personally I would be happy to let them know we are taking or are not taking applications - wouldn't bother me at all. I would think, especially in the scenario Sprailenes gave, that it would be the thing to do (call ahead). You mentioned the walk from transit is 45 minutes? And I don't think that not coming in to drop off a resume - because you cannot afford to take a bus to each and every place you might like to work - equates to not being able to scrape together the money to get to work each day.

As for the way they are dressed - well - I don't think that is a reflection of what kind of worker they will be, if you are applying for a receptionist position, generally you must play the corporate game and dress up.

If you are applying as a seasonal worker for outside work - I don't see that it really matters.

Timeline

Well its not just my standards trailmixy it is kind of the standard all around. It's the way life is whether you like it or not. I choose to live up to that standard and hold that standard high not just for myself but for the places I work at as well.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Well its not just my standards trailmixy it is kind of the standard all around. It's the way life is whether you like it or not. I choose to live up to that standard and hold that standard high not just for myself but for the places I work at as well.

I disagree Sprailenes (surprise :lol: ) - different places of work have different ideas - different people have different ideas. It is not 'all around' - it may be in a lot of places but it may also not be in a lot of places.

I have worked in positions where I hired people, I would not have held it against someone if they called me first to see if it was worthwhile to come in for an interview. Lots of companies find it acceptable if you come in to an interview in jeans.

That said, a lot don't - I know there is a corporate game that goes on - however just because that is the way it is now, does not necessarily make it 'real' or correct - in my opinion.

Timeline

So.. venting for a second.. hubby spent a week at his ex's taking care of the kiddos and purchased almost $150.00 worth of groceries cause there was nothing in the house when he got there, took care of her cats, paid the bill to spring her car out of the parking garage at the airport and filled her car full of gas, and STILL he pays full child support for the week on top of that..

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :girlwerewolf2xn:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Well I have worked at many places, and every place I work at holds a high standard. From daycares, to hotels, to fast food chains as a teenager. I always dressed nicely for an interview and never showed up in jeans and I don't know where it would be acceptable to dress in jeans for an interview.

I have even worked in a factory before I left Canada and went to that interview nicely dressed, not dressed to the nines, but wearing dress pants and a cardigan.... 7 men applied for that job and I got it. I do believe my clean appearance did have an effect on the hiring because only 3 of those men were nicely dressed, the other four were not.

The standard for MOST places is like that because if it wasn't the people who come in looking like trash would be hired but every place I work at looks at appearances as a first impression.

And with all due respect... you're the only one in this thread who seems to be disagreeing which shows you the standard there. :)

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My Vent for the day....

The Governor of New Jersey is considering any household that makes between approx. $80,000 and $150,000 to be "middle class". Maybe in Idaho you can consider that middle class. My husband and I probably make about $115,000 gross right now a year and we are living pay check to pay check.

How can you be considered middle class at that yearly income rate when people pay 10-20 thousand dollars a year in property taxes?

Any ways, being considered middle class now we aren't eligible for a property tax rebate or will be able to deduct our taxes on our state tax return next year.

So what did I do? I joined a campaign with thousands of other New Jerseyians that are sending in empty wallets to the Governor's office with the words "There's nothing left!"

that sucks! it seems the more we make the less we have.

My husband actually had an applicant one time who applied and then tried to steal a pair of Nikes all in the same hour! :lol:

:lol:

but did he get the job? :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Presentation is always a big factor in whether or not my store hires someone. I work for Chapters, and I get some really funny resumes and people coming in. The memorable ones would most definately be the resumes I got that was on loose leaf and then the second was when this girl came in, dressed like in chains, metal, peircing, and you name it and her e-mail on the resume was justinsgirl16@hotmail.com. I thanked her for the resume then attached a note for the manager 'DO NOT CONSIDER HIRING.' Then I got asked about it, and my manager and I had a good laugh. :D

We get some really clean people into the store too, but if one is too quiet or not confident...we can tell. 8D

ON ANOTHER NOTE.

I won't miss the snow once I'm in Nevada. :D

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline
Well I have worked at many places, and every place I work at holds a high standard. From daycares, to hotels, to fast food chains as a teenager. I always dressed nicely for an interview and never showed up in jeans and I don't know where it would be acceptable to dress in jeans for an interview.

I have even worked in a factory before I left Canada and went to that interview nicely dressed, not dressed to the nines, but wearing dress pants and a cardigan.... 7 men applied for that job and I got it. I do believe my clean appearance did have an effect on the hiring because only 3 of those men were nicely dressed, the other four were not.

The standard for MOST places is like that because if it wasn't the people who come in looking like trash would be hired but every place I work at looks at appearances as a first impression.

And with all due respect... you're the only one in this thread who seems to be disagreeing which shows you the standard there. :)

The standard where?

Timeline
The standard in most places of employment.

I think you knew what I meant.

Actually no I didn't - which is why I asked for the clarification. I am perhaps the only one in this thread disagreeing with you - and that's ok - everyone is entitled to their take on it - it just has not been my experience in all of the places I have worked, nor the experience of some of my friends.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Do you think I appreciate having to explain my reasoning over and over to you? No, I don't.

It isn't exactly difficult to understand. It's the way I feel about how someone should present themselves for an interview or how someone should look for a job, I thought it was pretty straight forward. It's pretty straight forward for every other place I have worked at and it's pretty straight forward for most places of employment.

It is the vent thread, and it was my vent about calling about jobs. Its my choice to not hire these people. Maybe I'll tell them to call you? Kidding... of course.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.