July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My supervisor just walked in and informed me that I HAVE TO get my CA driver's license like, yesterday so I can "duty" drive (drive the Captain around.) This is not good at all, because your car has to be in good working order, so that means I'm going to have to magically come up with like $500 to get the check engine light turned off.

Also, it has to have a smog test since I live in CA, and probably do the driving test since I still have my Canadian license.

My previously good day just turned rotten very fast :crying:

If he is demanding it shouldn't he be lending you a vehicle!!

Haha, I agree! Actually though, I just got off the phone with the DMV, and they "said" I wouldn't have to re-take the driving test only the "written test"...does that sound right? I told them about my Canadianness and all, but I could have sworn that I read about some fellow Canadians being forced to prove their driving skillz out on the road....

It's different in each state. Here in PA, I had to do no test at all, they just gave me a license upon showing them my Ontario license.

Nice! That makes me feel a bit better...though I still think they might force the test on me once they see the um "New Driver" part to my license that's been on there for 7 years now :blink: But who knows, maybe I'll luck out :devil:

It may be time to get a US license anyhow, as I see from your siggy you've been there a few years now!? :D

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My supervisor just walked in and informed me that I HAVE TO get my CA driver's license like, yesterday so I can "duty" drive (drive the Captain around.) This is not good at all, because your car has to be in good working order, so that means I'm going to have to magically come up with like $500 to get the check engine light turned off.

Also, it has to have a smog test since I live in CA, and probably do the driving test since I still have my Canadian license.

Haha, I agree! Actually though, I just got off the phone with the DMV, and they "said" I wouldn't have to re-take the driving test only the "written test"...does that sound right? I told them about my Canadianness and all, but I could have sworn that I read about some fellow Canadians being forced to prove their driving skillz out on the road....

It's different in each state. Here in PA, I had to do no test at all, they just gave me a license upon showing them my Ontario license.

Just a bit of a suggestion on taking the test..... do it near the end of the day, and I'd schedule it at either the culver city or santa monica DMV offices. Oh, and I believe the DMV have reduced hours on fridays.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a bit of a suggestion on taking the test..... do it near the end of the day, and I'd schedule it at either the culver city or santa monica DMV offices. Oh, and I believe the DMV have reduced hours on fridays.

Hmm ok..my appt is for 10:30 (yes RobandMel, that means if they make me do the driving part of it, stay the heck of the roads,) but now I think I'll change it for towards the end of the day, thanks for the advice! Is there some sort of reason that it's easier to do later in the day?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Heck, I would stick with the 10:30 appointment rather than later in the day - they might get backlogged and then you might have to deal with tired, rush-hour type of traffic. 10:30 is nice - still fresh but not too worn out by bad drivers on the road and a lighter traffic load. Unless there is something else in the mix I would prefer the 10:30 slot if it were my test.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm ok..my appt is for 10:30 (yes RobandMel, that means if they make me do the driving part of it, stay the heck of the roads,) but now I think I'll change it for towards the end of the day, thanks for the advice! Is there some sort of reason that it's easier to do later in the day?

At the end of the day, they all want to GTFO and go home so they are much more lenient ;)

If it's just a written test, then It really doesn't matter tbh.

Here's something I need to vent about.... Not sure if any of you have heard of the wildfires happening near Santa Barbara.

This website seems to have some good info: http://www.thedailysound.com/News/

Anyways... Loooong story short, there's a BIG f'ing FIRE burning like 4 miles from my fiance's home... he's about 2 miles from the evacuation warning boundary. Now... since they are not yet within the evacuation warning, he and his family are of course, not doing anything about it yet. Just keeping an eye on things. The fire is less than 48 hours old, so there's room for expansion, as it is ZERO % contained. I'm worried (duh)... and my fiance was supposed to come here for a visit on the 15th anyways... so just over a week from now. I'm trying to encourage him to just get the F out of there and come here early, but he won't. And to be honest, I'm a bit pissed off. I don't understand how he can not realize how HORRIBLE and frustrating this is to watch on the news, and see the pictures that he's taken FROM HIS BACK YARD of maaaassive plumes of smoke filling the air.

Is my pissedoffedness justified, or should I just let him be? I haven't seen him in 3 and a 1/2 months, and f'ing hell, I don't understand why he's got to be stubborn and just sit around WAITING for the stupid fire to come even CLOSER. I can't be there with him, I can't help him, I can't do ANYTHING, except wait for a horrible situation to get even worse before he does anything about it. He doesn't seem to understand why I'm so worried, and even more so since I'm so far away and helpless in this situation. Like, am I really the only person that would think to just get out JUST IN CASE?! Especially when a loved one is freaking out about your safety. Wouldn't you want to put their mind at ease??

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

That's terrible, ashenflowers. I hope they get the fire contained. Perhaps your fiance feels he needs to be available for his parents in case they need to evacuate quickly - more hands make light work - and doesn't want to feel like he is abandoning them at a time of need. Advise him to make sure he has all of the immigration documents in one place that he can get to quickly and take with him if he needs to evacuate. In the meantime, I know how hard it is for you to be so far away and worrying with nothing else you can do. I hope you get relief from your worry soon and your fiance and his family remain safe.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Here's something I need to vent about.... Not sure if any of you have heard of the wildfires happening near Santa Barbara.

This website seems to have some good info: http://www.thedailysound.com/News/

Anyways... Loooong story short, there's a BIG f'ing FIRE burning like 4 miles from my fiance's home... he's about 2 miles from the evacuation warning boundary. Now... since they are not yet within the evacuation warning, he and his family are of course, not doing anything about it yet. Just keeping an eye on things. The fire is less than 48 hours old, so there's room for expansion, as it is ZERO % contained. I'm worried (duh)... and my fiance was supposed to come here for a visit on the 15th anyways... so just over a week from now. I'm trying to encourage him to just get the F out of there and come here early, but he won't. And to be honest, I'm a bit pissed off. I don't understand how he can not realize how HORRIBLE and frustrating this is to watch on the news, and see the pictures that he's taken FROM HIS BACK YARD of maaaassive plumes of smoke filling the air.

Is my pissedoffedness justified, or should I just let him be? I haven't seen him in 3 and a 1/2 months, and f'ing hell, I don't understand why he's got to be stubborn and just sit around WAITING for the stupid fire to come even CLOSER. I can't be there with him, I can't help him, I can't do ANYTHING, except wait for a horrible situation to get even worse before he does anything about it. He doesn't seem to understand why I'm so worried, and even more so since I'm so far away and helpless in this situation. Like, am I really the only person that would think to just get out JUST IN CASE?! Especially when a loved one is freaking out about your safety. Wouldn't you want to put their mind at ease??

WOW that's horrible, I heard about the fires and I hope it doesn't come any closer.... of course you have every reason to be worried, but at the same time it's his home so it's normal for him to want to stay and make sure everything is OK.... he is coming on the 15th which is really soon.... It's horrible for you but it's worse for him, as he's there in the immediate situation.... I think it makes perfect sense that he'd want to stick it out until the last possible minute. If it gets bad, there will be an evacuation warning but since there's not yet, I understand his position.... but I also get your concern!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I think he does want to stay there for his parents, for the time being. Well, his dad at least. His mom, by chance, is not at in California, because she just left last week for her seasonal time working at a camp near their cottage in Maine.

They also have 2 cats, that they'd want to be able to take care of. I think what's also bothering me is that they AREN'T packing anything yet, they aren't finding documents together, and aren't really making plans as to where to go, and how. At least those things, I would think, could be done ahead of time. They've been in this situation before, in last summer's fire (which was even closer to them than this one), so perhaps they already have a rough plan in their heads?... but still... I dunno. His poor mom though is probably freaking out worse than I am. I haven't been caught in a wildfire zone before, but they all have. :wacko:

I could also just be extra cranky because today I went to the dentist for the first time in over 10 years (seriously, it's been like 12/13 years).. and though I have no cavities still, it did hurt to have everything scraped and cleaned, and my teeth have hurt ever since. Then I went to the immunization clinic for some updates to pre-prep for my medical down the line, and so my arm also kinda hurts.... so I'm pouty. lol

Thanks for your well wishes though ladies! I will update when things improve... *crosses fingers* :)

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

I just feel really PO'd today.

My oldest stepson graduates from highschool in June and gets 8 tickets - for whatever reason his mother is letting him decide who comes to his graduation. Guess who isn't going (yep, me). He is GRACIOUSLY giving 1 ticket to his dad and 1 ticket to my MIL (not even one for her husband).

I understand that he isn't totally close with me, and frankly his mother would never actually make him be respectful - but gee thanks, once again I take a back seat. He's been mad at his dad ever since his parents divorce 5 yrs ago, but it had nothing to do with me and I hate how he treats my husband, hardly has anything to do with him unless it's Christmas, Birthday or he needs $$$ from him. Let me add that I am a lovely stepmom and do not interfere 1 single time because I believe he's already got 2 parents

I know he's just a kid and he's not really mad at me, it's more of a hurtful thing towards his dad. I can tell you what though, when my daughter graduates from the same highschool and gets 8 tickets - she hands them to me and I decide who gets them and it will be the people who have contributed most to get her where she is.

It also turns out he's looking for an extra ticket - for an ex GF who moved out of town, but will be visiting.

To top it off - my MIL plans to stay overnight at the ex's house on grad night. She didn't even say anything to us (we have a free, perfect spare bedroom for guests and she knows it).

I thought my MIL was trying a little harder with me lately, she was being really nice, but as far as I am concerned , I'm sick of the disrespect

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Well at least he's keeping both step parents out and it isn't just you. It's his graduation and he'd probably be happy just having both of his parents there. Divorce takes a toll on kids and he's probably still bitter. I wouldn't take it too personally nor would I say its you taking a back seat. You may not have had anything to do with the divorce itself but most kids see the step parents as a wall between their actual parents.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

My people vent(s)...

1. People who think they know what's best for you when they really don't. They think they know everything and they think they know what’s best for you based on their own experiences but they fail to realize that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

2. People who lean in to talk to you. Seriously you need not lean in to speak to me… my personal space is valuable to me. Take two steps back and toss a breath mint in that yap trap while you’re at it.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

In a nutshell - we have been negotiating on a foreclosed house for 2 MONTHS. Our realtor cannot get hold of the listing realtor lately, she has spoken to them (Husband and Wife realtor team) many times though over this period.

I finally get fed up and call the listing realtor's office this morning and he calls me back. The bank is not considering ANY financed offers on the property - only cash offers. He was SURE he had told my realtor this - but he says it may have been another realtor and he apologized.

Yeah.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
In a nutshell - we have been negotiating on a foreclosed house for 2 MONTHS. Our realtor cannot get hold of the listing realtor lately, she has spoken to them (Husband and Wife realtor team) many times though over this period.

I finally get fed up and call the listing realtor's office this morning and he calls me back. The bank is not considering ANY financed offers on the property - only cash offers. He was SURE he had told my realtor this - but he says it may have been another realtor and he apologized.

Yeah.

We had a lot of trouble getting a hold of the Realtor on the owner's side (it was a foreclosure too)- it was like he didn't really give a #######. Our guy had to finally go above him to his boss and that sort of made things move. He let dates slip, didn't even show up at closing

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Yeah.

How frustrating! You would think in this market they'd be working every deal like it was their last to try and bring more clients in. :wacko:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.