July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^^ I agree that it's all about what job it's for.

Also - even just by changing their question/positioning that could help. For example, instead of saying 'Are you hiring?' - They could say, I was just calling to see who the best person is to discuss upcoming summer opportunities with and if I can set up a meeting etc. Then they aren't coming unannounced and basically asking if there is a chance to get a job there.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
It depends on the job you are looking for Amanda. If you're a student looking for seasonal, you go out and ask the people. I don't know how many people would come in while I worked at the hotel asking about available jobs, same with here especially with the summer fast approaching. I am not talking about career oriented minds here... I am talking about seasonal employees and the like.

With the kind of jobs we look for, we do apply online. Though when I first got my EAD I did drive to the hotels in the area, get out of my car and speak to people personally. It was the kind of work I was inititally looking for: Hospitality. I did that and I also applied online.

It depends on the job you want. If you're looking for retail, print out 100 resumes and walk through the mall. It's okay to apply online but its frowned upon to apply by phone. It's not just here either, it's every place that I have worked at.

Oh absolutely. I mean yes in that case, you would print off your resume and go directly to the source.

Flames, I still disagree. While we keep resumes on file at my job, it's so that we have a record of who applied for a specific job. When we have a new position open up, we don't go back and look at old resumes. I've never seen any employer I have worked for do that.

Also - even just by changing their question/positioning that could help. For example, instead of saying 'Are you hiring?' - They could say, I was just calling to see who the best person is to discuss upcoming summer opportunities with and if I can set up a meeting etc. Then they aren't coming unannounced and basically asking if there is a chance to get a job there.

:thumbs:

I often think that, again, people no longer know how to communicate ideas properly. What happened to think before you speak? Unfortunately I don't see a lot of people sayings things like you suggest, sapphire. Many don't seem to think in that state of mind.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am new to this thread and i never felt the need to vent before. but i felt like i need to B!tch somewhere b/c it really frustrates me that there's too many things happening and a lot of $$$ is going out and my employment is in a shi!!y state b/c my boss is crazy stressed or bipolar or something and greedy that he wants to fire everyone ... "just like that" b/c he is sick of the stress. its not even our fault!!! He cant stop working or just relax. He emails everyone at like 1am!!! and calls me after hours (but i stopped answering his calls and ignores his rude messages) he already cut most employees hours down (that we actually need at work). He is not paying some staff b/c he thinks they didnt do a good job and dont deserve to be paid or paid the amount they worked or deserve. he threatens everyone's employment if we dont change or mold ourselves to his views. And on top of that we are not even hit by the recession!!! and he had to cut my hours down and take my commissions away so it screws up all my reception plans and immigration plans. And any problems that rise up even the smallest things like a paper on the floor is sitting there for 1 hour sets him off. I feel like im going to get fired soon. He is like a ticking time bomb and I feel like its putting so much stress on having to get my visa fast b/c i'm sure he hates everyone even tho he needs us right now, he's not thinking right, he wants to make a drastic change in the business and one person who is his right hand man is the only person that is standing up to him (on behalf of everyone) and he is the only one holding the company together basically. I told the 2nd boss i preferred to get my CR1 visa but he told me if the K3 arrives first to just take it b/c its about to get even worse as he doesnt know if the owner will blow up any time or do something crazy. gggggrrrrrrrrrrrr. talk about trying to transition my life. Anyways. thanks for reading my babble.

I'd report your company to the labour department in Canada. I'm not sure what you have worked out with him as far as your contract, whether you are salaried, hourly, work on commission, etc. but there is only so much they can do to you before they are violating labour laws.

Wow, this guy DOES sound like a ticking time bomb! I think it's time to talk to him one-on-one and let him know how you're feeling! He might not even be aware of how his behaviour affects others

He is very aware of his actions. that is why he is barely @ the office and works from his home to avoid everyone (even his gf who he lives with who works for the company knows this). She goes to the office b/c he's always unbearable to deal with. He avoids daily conversations with most of the employees. limiting it to "hey hows it going" to "have a good day". I want to put a complaint to labour department but I'm so tired of putting up with him, i dont know if i have enough energy to put a complaint, possibly have employees treat me a certain way b/c of the complaint or whatever. Plus i'm leaving anyways. do i really want to go through a battle when its already a wreck? i dont know. i want to do something but at the same time i have to many things on my plate. i just dont know what to do. i just want my visa to be done and over with so i leave.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It depends on the job you are looking for Amanda. If you're a student looking for seasonal, you go out and ask the people. I don't know how many people would come in while I worked at the hotel asking about available jobs, same with here especially with the summer fast approaching. I am not talking about career oriented minds here... I am talking about seasonal employees and the like.

With the kind of jobs we look for, we do apply online. Though when I first got my EAD I did drive to the hotels in the area, get out of my car and speak to people personally. It was the kind of work I was inititally looking for: Hospitality. I did that and I also applied online.

It depends on the job you want. If you're looking for retail, print out 100 resumes and walk through the mall. It's okay to apply online but its frowned upon to apply by phone. It's not just here either, it's every place that I have worked at.

Oh absolutely. I mean yes in that case, you would print off your resume and go directly to the source.

Flames, I still disagree. While we keep resumes on file at my job, it's so that we have a record of who applied for a specific job. When we have a new position open up, we don't go back and look at old resumes. I've never seen any employer I have worked for do that.

:thumbs:

I often think that, again, people no longer know how to communicate ideas properly. What happened to think before you speak? Unfortunately I don't see a lot of people sayings things like you suggest, sapphire. Many don't seem to think in that state of mind.

You are very right. Many people do not think like that. Which means that the few that do think about things are probably getting the job. If there's anything I've learned from getting a job or just life in general is that everything we do, needs to be strategic and pre-meditated whenever possible. Unfortunately, like you said, many people are not like this.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, here's my vent... I bought some coffee, and I didn't win the car.... Didn't even win the $10k :rofl:

Apparently you need to buy more than one coffee to win. Mmmmmm enjoying the timbits tho :D

Timeline
OK, here's my vent... I bought some coffee, and I didn't win the car.... Didn't even win the $10k :rofl:

Apparently you need to buy more than one coffee to win. Mmmmmm enjoying the timbits tho :D

Oh yay Timmys! Did you have poutine yet? Good luck at the interview!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Nick is going to kill our upstairs neighbours.... :unsure:

I may help. :devil:

They are the most annoying, loudest people I have ever encountered in my life.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
Nick is going to kill our upstairs neighbours.... :unsure:

I may help. :devil:

They are the most annoying, loudest people I have ever encountered in my life.

Would you like to place a bet?? I'm guessing our neighbors would give you a run for your money!! :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I was just wondering if you're living in the same place?! :lol:

Me too! Seriously hearing about loud noisy neighbors makes me extra quiet. I won't run my dishwasher or washing machine past 8pm or so, I know it's noisy downstairs because I can hear it coming in. I keep the telly low and try to walk softly as possible. Obviously things I can't control like flushing the toilet in the night and stuff but regular stuff I try hard to be quiet. It's common courtesy!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I was just wondering if you're living in the same place?! :lol:

Me too! Seriously hearing about loud noisy neighbors makes me extra quiet. I won't run my dishwasher or washing machine past 8pm or so, I know it's noisy downstairs because I can hear it coming in. I keep the telly low and try to walk softly as possible. Obviously things I can't control like flushing the toilet in the night and stuff but regular stuff I try hard to be quiet. It's common courtesy!

but see that is based on the fact that you know what common courtesy is.. For example my neighbors have no idea that at 7am it's probably not a good idea to allow your child to repeatedly stamp with his heavy shoes on the wood floors above the bedroom of your sleeping neighbor, or that you take all 3 kids down 3 flights of stairs (stomping all the way), and scream loudly at them all the way down to the basement as you go.. at 7:30am I might add.. yep yep.. courtesy they do not have!

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

We should have a noisy neighbours FIGHT TO THE DEATHHHH match.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
We should have a noisy neighbours FIGHT TO THE DEATHHHH match.

well mine have been squatting since Dec. so they definitely have sticktoit'veness..

Friends of mine brought their screaming baby over for a while last night.. I told them not to worry and let the little guy scream as long as he wanted :devil:

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ya, we have noisey neighbers above as too. We never use dto hear them, BUT now their baby is like 2 yrs old and runs and runs and runs, and jumps and jumps and jumps!! I like kids and I know they are hard to control, but a few times we have had to very politely tell them how loud he is! We do this in a very extremely polite way, I really hate confrontations. last time, kids had been loud for like 2 hours, so my wife went and knowcked on the door, and the lady asks who is it? My wife responds ur downstairs neighbor. The lady swings open the door and starts SCREAMING and SCREAMING at my wife, she just lost it on my wife! The husband quickly comes to the door, tells his wife hwe wil handle it--she leaves crying, and he apologizes and apologizes, he stated that she is under a lot of stress. For the rest of the day, the wife stomped around like a 2 yr old,lol was pretty pathetic. Hopefully not to much longer, and we wil rent it out and buy a house.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I suppose I see it this way: you need to know WHO is hiring before coming in to any place of employment. If they're not hiring, what's the point? Why waste your time? Calling ahead of time simply means you're looking to see if there is a job opening. I wouldn't suggest applying over the phone, but checking for any available positions is different.

It's no different that looking at a company's website in the "career section." You're checking to see if there are any jobs available. If there are, you'll most likely apply online and if there aren't, you won't apply. Some businesses don't post jobs or don't even have a website (smaller businesses usually don't) and so the only way to check is call ahead or arrive on their doorstep.

I'd prefer someone call before coming over. If they don't -- and just appear -- they've not only wasted their time, but mine as well. Employers schedule interviews and rarely do they do they use a "first come, first serve" method. I've never seen any employer stop whatever it is they're doing and interview someone without planning ahead.

It's to the potential employee's and potential employer's benefit to call first.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.