Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Howdy everyone from Aussie-Land! I just wanted to formally introduce myself......I'm Ren, I'm 28, have 2 awesome kitty's and an even more awesome US citizen hubby named Tom. I packed up my life and moved from Australia to Ames, Iowa last August! I'm currently going through the whole AOS process.......hopefully I will get my EAD soon since I'm definitely itching to get back out into the workforce! Things seem to be moving along ok for now cos just the other day my case was transferred to the CSC, so YIPPEEE!! Anywho, I have been lurking around this message board for way too long now, so I can't wait to chat with you all soon! :)

p.s. I also brought my GHD over........they definitely market it as being dual-voltage, so that was a selling point for me! I also brought over a table lamp that I love, but it uses those pin type light bulbs, and all I've been able to find here are screw-in bulbs! Bummer!

Tom&Ren = Tom (US Citizen) & Ren (Aussie)!

Our K1 Visa Journey.....

Consulate: Sydney, Australia

2 Dec 08: Tom receives I-129F NOA1

25 Feb 09: Tom receives I-129F NOA2

9 Apr 09: Ren receives Packet 3

27 May 09: Extension Requested

11 Jun 09: Ren sends back Packet 3

15 Jun 09: Ren Receives Packet 4

7 Jul 09: Visa Interview Date....Success!!

10 Aug 09: Ren's US Arrival Date

13 Sep 09: Our Wedding Day!

Ren's Greencard & EAD Journeys.....

Local Office: Des Moines, IA

3 Mar 10: Ren sends away AOS & EAD Docs

11 Mar 10: Ren receives AOS & EAD NOA's

30 Mar 10: Case Transferred to CSC!

31 Mar 10: AOS File 'touched'

6 Apr 10: Ren's Biometrics Appt. in Des Moines

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

That's sad that they are making her feel bad Tez :( but at the end of the day, it's her life and her decision.

I have my sisters always telling me that I can't leave and can't take the boys far far away ... UM they NEVER come to visit me, so why should I live my life to please them? I think not lol.

It's funny about the whole voltage thing in the US ... I have blown up 2 Aussie hair dryers over there but my GHD straightener works fine! Lachy's DSi takes longer to charge and so does my mobile though. I'm selling all my electricals before I go, like Lachy's consoles (PS2, Wii, DSi etc).

Tezzzzzzzzzzz I wanna be there at your interview LMAO

I did the opposite with my hairdryer, it only worked half as well! It would just cough and splutter and blow out a gentle breath of cool air! Lucky electronic stuff is so cheap here. I've put Alex on the hook to get me a GHD straightener as a present, since mine broke last month and I am using a crappy Rite Aid one for the time being. A girl needs goof looking hair to fit in around LA, lol!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Hey everyone!

Just a quick introduction - I seem to always be lurking around enough that I feel that I know you all already, so I thought it was time to say hello.

My name is Zoe and I'm a twenty year old law student and Queensland resident. I've been an Australian citizen for about ten years now, as I was born and raised in New Zealand... though maybe I shouldn't admit to that as much as I do! My fiancee Matt is twenty two and lives in Chicago, IL. So he's a.. Chicagoan? Chicagan? Person Who Lives in Illinois? We met online a year or so ago and have been in crazy love ever since, and now we find ourselves knee deep in paperwork and vacillating between getting on with our lives and not worrying too much about the process or the wait we're facing and crazy worried/nervous/WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG SWEET LORD but I guess that's part and parcel of a) loving an American citizen and b) getting involved with the USCIS. It's certainly a process that makes you hope you'll never take each other for granted :)

Astrid, I know the Aussie website ry.com.au (where I bought my GHD from) have reduced their prices, so maybe even with postage it would work out cheaper than from anywhere else. I couldn't live without my GHD as it is truly a miracle worker and has got me through some tough times. Winter in Chicago? Not a problem. Sweating it out in Queensland? Totally under control. I promise I don't work for GHD in any way, haha. I tried a CHI straightener in the US and I didn't get the hype at all.

Matt - US Citizen

Zoe - Australian Citizen and poster :)

I-129F/K1 Visa Process

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Sydney, Australia

March 8th, 2010: I-129F NOA1

April 22nd, 2010: I-129F NOA2

May 13th, 2010: Second NOA2 received

May 20th, 2010: NVC received

June 15th, 2010: P3 received

June 23rd, 2010: P3 sent

July 7th, 2010: P4 received

July 20th, 2010: Interview, 8.00 am - Approved!

August 4th, 2010: POE LAX

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Your GHD is probably dual voltage (marked 110-240V) while the hairdryers you blew up are strictly compatible with Aussie voltage only.

When I moved I only brought my electronics that are dual voltage (laptop, cellphone, camera, epilator, etc) and got rid of everything else (electric toothbrush, dyson, etc)

Thanks Kaffy and welcome back!! Well there's an airport I am kinda familiar with, SeaTac ... but no idea about customs sorry. Just you mentioning SeaTac has me all excited because I'm coming over to Seattle end of May lol.

I had no idea about dual voltage and Melvin is a bloody Electrician, you would think he would have informed me of it, as he knows my hair dryer shat itself, he had to take me to Walmart so I could buy a cheap and nasty Revlon one LOL. I must check my Lappy ... because I'd like to bring that over.

Kaffy I think I remember Vanessa saying that it would be cheaper for her Mum to post it over, than her buying one in the USA or something ...

I did the opposite with my hairdryer, it only worked half as well! It would just cough and splutter and blow out a gentle breath of cool air! Lucky electronic stuff is so cheap here. I've put Alex on the hook to get me a GHD straightener as a present, since mine broke last month and I am using a crappy Rite Aid one for the time being. A girl needs goof looking hair to fit in around LA, lol!

LOL you are so funny ... don't go out in LA without good hurrrrrr! You definitely need a GHD for the more humid type climates eh. What part of LA are you in anyways? I don't know it well, have only done one of the LA tours and stayed near Anaheim for a week last year. I remember more of Hollywood and Beverly Hills than the actual city part of LA. Oh and I remember driving past Compton ... my ex has moved there from Oklahoma ... he wants to come visit us at LAX when we're in transit, there is no way I will be going to visit him! LOL

I think once we are all finally over in the US and the paperwork is done etc, we should have like a big Aussie VJ meet :whistle:

Welcome Chloe and Ren :). Chloe where in Qld are you? I am originally from there but have been in Melbourne for 7.5 years.

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Thanks for the welcome back :)

Seatac is a really easy airport to come in through. Are you flying directly into there or will you clear POE somewhere else?

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Howdy everyone from Aussie-Land! I just wanted to formally introduce myself......I'm Ren, I'm 28, have 2 awesome kitty's and an even more awesome US citizen hubby named Tom. I packed up my life and moved from Australia to Ames, Iowa last August! I'm currently going through the whole AOS process.......hopefully I will get my EAD soon since I'm definitely itching to get back out into the workforce! Things seem to be moving along ok for now cos just the other day my case was transferred to the CSC, so YIPPEEE!! Anywho, I have been lurking around this message board for way too long now, so I can't wait to chat with you all soon! :)

p.s. I also brought my GHD over........they definitely market it as being dual-voltage, so that was a selling point for me! I also brought over a table lamp that I love, but it uses those pin type light bulbs, and all I've been able to find here are screw-in bulbs! Bummer!

Welcome! I'm highly considering a GHD straightener... though a lot of American's I've spoken to haven't even HEARD of them :S Weirdos :P

Grats on being transferred to CSC! 'Cause of Easter I haven't even applied for AOS yet /sigh so once all the holidays are over and people stop slacking off :P then I'll send it in :D

As a side note, the globe with pins is a "bayonet" perhaps that will help you in your google search for a supplier? http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS299&=&q=light%20globes%2C%20bayonets&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi there's some images. It seems they're REALLY hard to come by here :S /sigh.. just like my A4 folders which mum is sending me with her easter parcel

Hey everyone!

Just a quick introduction - I seem to always be lurking around enough that I feel that I know you all already, so I thought it was time to say hello.

My name is Zoe and I'm a twenty year old law student and Queensland resident. I've been an Australian citizen for about ten years now, as I was born and raised in New Zealand... though maybe I shouldn't admit to that as much as I do! My fiancee Matt is twenty two and lives in Chicago, IL. So he's a.. Chicagoan? Chicagan? Person Who Lives in Illinois? We met online a year or so ago and have been in crazy love ever since, and now we find ourselves knee deep in paperwork and vacillating between getting on with our lives and not worrying too much about the process or the wait we're facing and crazy worried/nervous/WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG SWEET LORD but I guess that's part and parcel of a) loving an American citizen and b) getting involved with the USCIS. It's certainly a process that makes you hope you'll never take each other for granted :)

Astrid, I know the Aussie website ry.com.au (where I bought my GHD from) have reduced their prices, so maybe even with postage it would work out cheaper than from anywhere else. I couldn't live without my GHD as it is truly a miracle worker and has got me through some tough times. Winter in Chicago? Not a problem. Sweating it out in Queensland? Totally under control. I promise I don't work for GHD in any way, haha. I tried a CHI straightener in the US and I didn't get the hype at all.

Welcome and congrats on starting the process. It is very stressful but the end result is definitely worth it. If you haven't already, have a look through some of the links in my signature and as always, if you need help or support we're here :D

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for the welcome back :)

Seatac is a really easy airport to come in through. Are you flying directly into there or will you clear POE somewhere else?

I'll be going through LA first and then onto Seattle. I am just keeping an eye on V Australia flights ... I was going to book a flight with them direct to LA and then purchase my own connecting flights but at the moment I might be able to get the 3 of us from Melb -Seattle return for just over $2200 which is awesome. I'm booking my ticket hopefully Friday next week :dance:

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Vanessa: what a lucky girl you are to score a free KitchenAid and your mum was so kind to give it to you (I wouldn't be giving it away if I were her). If you love cooking you are going to love this machine. I got a KitchenAid Pro 600 (a pretty red one) just after I got to the US and I can't stopped using it. My man was teasing me and telling me he's gonna have to take it to work because I've been making so much yummy food and he's worried we are going to put on weight). We got it from Bed Bath and Beyond on sale and with a 20% off coupon I got when I signed up for their newsletter. Plus I'm waiting to get back our $40 rebate from KitchenAid so we will only have paid $280 for it (we saved $220). My sister said she saw the Artisan KitchenAid for like $600 or $700 in a store in Australia....such a rip off! If you shop around you can get them quite cheap (especially if you use a coupon). I think you mum should consider selling it on Ebay and send you the money to buy one here. She'd save on postage, it would be cheaper and she'd make a little profit too. I'm going to get the ice cream attachment soon...yum yum!!

I'm all about getting a bargain and saving money. One thing that I'm really loving about the US is coupons. Lol. You can get coupons for everything.

Tom&Ren and Matt&Zoe: hi and welcome to the forum :)

Am I the only one here who doesn't own a hair straightener??? :lol:

I'm almost ready to send off my documents for AOS....yay! I'm just waiting for my husband to complete the affidavit of support part.

Spring is finally here and the cherry blossoms are blooming in DC. We went and had look at them (along with thousands of other people) last Thursday when they were at peak bloom.....it looked so beautiful. So this weekend we're going to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. I hope everyone had a Happy Easter. It came and went so quickly since we don't get the Good Friday and Easter Monday holidays here :(

Timeline

Okay, another question about submitting the packet. I swear, he's not touching any paperwork ever when he gets here. I told him that I don't care if I'm on my freaking death bed, I'm still filling out the forms and organizing it. :P

He only has a copy of his marriage certificate, not the original from his previous marriage. Now, the DSL-1076 form of applicant's readiness to be interviewed offers an option to select that you are sending a photocopy or the original. But the information prior to that says to send in the original.

Is it really required to send an original? And if so why don't they have it blocked out like they do with the Medical form where it says you can only send in original.

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

10-31-03 - Started dating

09-30-06 - Broke things off Ham wasn't ready for immigration (stayed friends)

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

12-03-08 - Unofficially engaged :)

K1 Visa

10-19-2009 - Sent I-129F to VCS

10-21-2009 - Check cashed

10-22-2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

02-04-2010 - Received Package 3

02-22-2010 - Ham finally went to get his medical done

02-24-2010 - Received the all clear on the medical

03-13-2010 - Submitted paperwork for police check

03-25-2010 - Received the Police Check

04-06-2010 - Submitting the P3 to Consulate

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

05-05-2010 - Approved!!!!!!

05-06-2010 - VISA IN HAND!!!!!!

06-09-2010 - POE - LAX (Official Proposal!!!)

07-10-2010 - Wedding :D

AOS

08-31-2010 - Mailed off AOS

09-02-2010 - Packet Received

09-09-2010 - NOA1 Emails - AOS, EAD, AP

09-14-2010 - NOA1 Hard Copies - AOS, EAD, AP

10-04-2010 - Biometrics (AOS and EAD)

11-03-2010 - Email and Text that EAD and AP were approved

11-05-2010 - Email and Text that EAD was sent on for production of card.

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

11-30-2010 - AOS Interview Date

Timeline

Okay, another question about submitting the packet. I swear, he's not touching any paperwork ever when he gets here. I told him that I don't care if I'm on my freaking death bed, I'm still filling out the forms and organizing it. :P

He only has a copy of his marriage certificate, not the original from his previous marriage. Now, the DSL-1076 form of applicant's readiness to be interviewed offers an option to select that you are sending a photocopy or the original. But the information prior to that says to send in the original.

Is it really required to send an original? And if so why don't they have it blocked out like they do with the Medical form where it says you can only send in original.

You do indeed need the original. In fact everything on the list needs to be copy AND original unless like the medical where photocopy is blocked out. Then you'll get originals back at the interview.

If he has a certified copy that's fine as the "original" and then a normal photocopy for the "copy". He might need to contact whoever issued it to be sent a certified copy. Maybe someone else has a solution here... such a pain!

Timeline

You do indeed need the original. In fact everything on the list needs to be copy AND original unless like the medical where photocopy is blocked out. Then you'll get originals back at the interview.

If he has a certified copy that's fine as the "original" and then a normal photocopy for the "copy". He might need to contact whoever issued it to be sent a certified copy. Maybe someone else has a solution here... such a pain!

Yeah, he's ordering a certified copy now of his marriage certificate but it'll take a few days. We're just worried cause he has less than two months now to get everything submitted and get the visa.

This is just getting so stressful. We need an interview date soon.

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

K1 Visa

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

AOS

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

Timeline

Yeah, he's ordering a certified copy now of his marriage certificate but it'll take a few days. We're just worried cause he has less than two months now to get everything submitted and get the visa.

This is just getting so stressful. We need an interview date soon.

I'm wondering what would happen if we submit it without the certificate and just state that the certified copy is on order from the records place. We'd get it kicked back I'm sure saying we don't have the forms but then we'd just have to submit it again. But we might at least get an interview date and told that we have until that time to provide the documents.

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

K1 Visa

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

04-11-2010 - Received P4

AOS

Well I am home from the US Consulate in Sydney & the girls on my FB page would know this already but --- APPROVED!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I was asked a few questions and spent my time waiting talking to another lady who is married to the USC. They hired an Immigration Lawyer and she said they have given them nothing but grief & lots of misinformation. I told her about all you amazing people here on VJ and she said she had heard of this site but never came here.

I was asked:

Q. How did you meet?

A. We met in Second Life.

Q. Whats that?

A. An online game.

Q. When are you planning on travelling?

A. We are hoping for this weekend.

Q. What does he do for work?

A. He is a Windows System Administrator/Infastructure Analyst or I affectionately call him the IT Geek. (she laughed)

Q. How do you keep in touch?

A. We keep in touch via phone,email, msn, Skype whichever web cam program works best on the day really.

Q. DO you have any proof of the relationship?

A. (holding lime green folder full of it!) I said yes would you like to see the chat logs or the emails? She replied 'No its ok I found the photos and they are better'

Q. (She asked Rebekkah my daughter) Is that your brother?

A. Yes it is.

Q. Did he not want to go with you?

A. No he wanted to complete Years 11 & 12.

'Love the photos around Sydney...who took them?'

Oh a friend of mine who is from Seattle. We flew her in from Brisbane for the day to take our engagement photos.

'Ok everything is in order, your visa is approved. We will print out your visa & have everything mailed out to you in the satchel in the next 2-3 days. The yellow envelope you are not to open it, but keep it with you in your carry on and hand it over at the airport you come in to.'

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So now I frantically pack the rest of the stuff LOL

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Timeline

Well I am home from the US Consulate in Sydney & the girls on my FB page would know this already but --- APPROVED!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

So now I frantically pack the rest of the stuff LOL

As I said already, GRATS!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.