Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

QUOTE (jaimemcd @ Mar 7 2010, 07:42 PM) I Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Marmite! It's promite that makes me wanna puke lol.

I tried that chicken fried steak in Oklahoma Kaffy ... one bite and that was enough for me *puke* LOL

Eww promite too!

Marmite is the UK version I believe.. maybe Promite is from NZ?...

There are 2 versions of marmite the nz version, i like, the uk version, i don't like. i think promite is UK

closed on our new house today and tomorrow we're leaving for a 2 week vacation overseas :D will be my first trip o/s since moving here (my trips to canada don't count). I look forward to coming back through the US citizen/permanent resident line :lol:

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

closed on our new house today and tomorrow we're leaving for a 2 week vacation overseas :D will be my first trip o/s since moving here (my trips to canada don't count). I look forward to coming back through the US citizen/permanent resident line :lol:

How exciting and congrats :)

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey Guys :)

I found a VERY interesting link that I thought some of you would appreciate regarding the I-864 and 40 quarters of work.

As we all know, as an immigrant the I-864 means that we aren't eligible for some things from the government (like food stamps etc) and that our USC spouse (or former spouse if we divorce **god forbid**) is responsible for us (or whoever else they had co-sponsor) until we (the foreigner) have worked for 40 quarters. There are other circumstances but this is just regarding the 40 quarters issue.

Most of us understand 40 quarters of work to be 10 years, with a quarter of a year being 3 months and so 4 quarters in a year but what most don't know is that our USC spouses quarters of work count towards our "40 quarters" of the I-864 being valid, and our ineligibility for government assistance (not that we WANT assistance but you get my drift).

So, if you and your spouse work for 5 years then that's your "40 quarters" of ineligibility and now the I-864 is void. So, for each year instead of 4 quarters of work just because you're working, you also get to "share" your spouses 4 quarters from that year so each year is 8 work quarters, halving the time it takes to work the 40 quarters! :)

I don't know if that affects anyone but I would think that for those with co-sponsors, a co-sponsor would like hearing that. I think also those guys that are cranking out the kids so their immigrant wives aren't working, should be happy that they're still counting off the quarters. HOWEVER, I should mention that divorce cancels out the "sharing" because it has to be a spouse.

Anywho, here's a link: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/manuals/eaz/sections/CitizenRestricFSP.shtml which explains it all in detail. Hope that makes some of you as happy as it did me. I like the idea of suddenly being a "normal" resident, able to get help if I need it (hopefully not) without causing issues with the I-864 (like when I have kids). Happy note, I've been married since November so my husbands almost taken 2 whole quarters of work off my 40 :D. Hooray!

p.s. I'm posting this in in other places so it gets read :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I have information regarding fun post marriage things - specifically, changing your name back home in Australia and getting a passport. Sorry if this information is widely available, but from what I have gathered, requirements are always changing and it's nice to be up to date. Plus, a nice long post will help keep my boredom at bay until my husband gets home ;)

So, info about me. I am a resident of Queensland (since August 2008), born in South Australia, but have not lived in SA since 1997. According to Queensland Births, Deaths and Marriages, you must be born in Queensland, or have been born overseas with 12 months QLD residency to be able to file a name change there. So, to South Australian BDM I go! So, it's pretty much safe to assume that if you were born in one state, but have residency in another, you have to go back to your birth state to file the name change. Victoria and South Australia let you do it if you have at least three months residency, though.

When you do a South Australian name change via Marriage, they will issue you two documents - an amended birth certificate with your maiden name on it, as well as your married name, and then a Certificate of Name change. These two documents have to stay together to be valid. The cost to do all this in SA is $187.50 AUD. They do take credit card, so it will be a bit cheaper by paying in USD! Another thing about the name change in SA - they do ask that you surrender your original birth certificate, and you cannot send a certified copy. Being that I am pending AOS, there is no way I am going to give up my birth certificate in case I need it! According to SA BDM, I can just request a new birth certificate along with my name change application for them to use, and just include a letter stating why I can't give my original up. It sucks, but I would rather pay $39 and get a second copy than risk getting into strife with USCIS! You may, however, send certified copies of everything else.

So, once you get the certificates back and you finish admiring them, it's time to get your passport with your nice new name on it! I spoke with a lovely woman named Carla at the Los Angeles Consul-General (she really was lovely - if only more people in government were like her!) and she informed me that, yes, we must have both the Australian Name Change/Amended Birth Certificate and the US Marriage Licence in order to get a passport. It used to be that you could do it with just the US certificate, but that changed about five years ago. The other documentation needed is your old passport, another form of ID (Aussie/US drivers licence for example) and then something that shows your current US address on it, like a bank statement. If you are lucky enough to live near a Consul, you can get an appointment to get your new passport. This is a good thing, because it means you are not missing your old passport while you are waiting for the new one!

I think this is a well know bit of info, but if you have more than two years remaining on your passport, you can get your new one free. I have six years remaining on mine, so I will be taking that option. If you so choose, you can also pay for a new, 10-year one.

So overall, this is an annoying, but must-do process if you eventually want to get a new passport. I am fairly certain that the information given to me by the LA Consul-General would be correct for the rest of the Consuls across the US, but of course, always check! I hope my day of research can help everyone out...there is certainly some conflicting information out there so it's nice to know what is what :)

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

I have information regarding fun post marriage things - specifically, changing your name back home in Australia and getting a passport. Sorry if this information is widely available, but from what I have gathered, requirements are always changing and it's nice to be up to date. Plus, a nice long post will help keep my boredom at bay until my husband gets home ;)

So, info about me. I am a resident of Queensland (since August 2008), born in South Australia, but have not lived in SA since 1997. According to Queensland Births, Deaths and Marriages, you must be born in Queensland, or have been born overseas with 12 months QLD residency to be able to file a name change there. So, to South Australian BDM I go! So, it's pretty much safe to assume that if you were born in one state, but have residency in another, you have to go back to your birth state to file the name change. Victoria and South Australia let you do it if you have at least three months residency, though.

When you do a South Australian name change via Marriage, they will issue you two documents - an amended birth certificate with your maiden name on it, as well as your married name, and then a Certificate of Name change. These two documents have to stay together to be valid. The cost to do all this in SA is $187.50 AUD. They do take credit card, so it will be a bit cheaper by paying in USD! Another thing about the name change in SA - they do ask that you surrender your original birth certificate, and you cannot send a certified copy. Being that I am pending AOS, there is no way I am going to give up my birth certificate in case I need it! According to SA BDM, I can just request a new birth certificate along with my name change application for them to use, and just include a letter stating why I can't give my original up. It sucks, but I would rather pay $39 and get a second copy than risk getting into strife with USCIS! You may, however, send certified copies of everything else.

So, once you get the certificates back and you finish admiring them, it's time to get your passport with your nice new name on it! I spoke with a lovely woman named Carla at the Los Angeles Consul-General (she really was lovely - if only more people in government were like her!) and she informed me that, yes, we must have both the Australian Name Change/Amended Birth Certificate and the US Marriage Licence in order to get a passport. It used to be that you could do it with just the US certificate, but that changed about five years ago. The other documentation needed is your old passport, another form of ID (Aussie/US drivers licence for example) and then something that shows your current US address on it, like a bank statement. If you are lucky enough to live near a Consul, you can get an appointment to get your new passport. This is a good thing, because it means you are not missing your old passport while you are waiting for the new one!

I think this is a well know bit of info, but if you have more than two years remaining on your passport, you can get your new one free. I have six years remaining on mine, so I will be taking that option. If you so choose, you can also pay for a new, 10-year one.

So overall, this is an annoying, but must-do process if you eventually want to get a new passport. I am fairly certain that the information given to me by the LA Consul-General would be correct for the rest of the Consuls across the US, but of course, always check! I hope my day of research can help everyone out...there is certainly some conflicting information out there so it's nice to know what is what :)

Thanks Astrid :) Good to read that the LA office gave you the same info the DC office mentions on their website. UNIFORMITY for once :D

Name change in Vic is $87 (well $86 something) and like SA gives the 2 docs (like Astrid said).

Also like Astrid said i'm waiting on the name change so that I don't send my original birth certificate in case it's needed. I didn't know about the note saying you can't surrender it so I'll consider just waiting till I have my GC then sending it all off.

Name change in Vic takes around a month i'm told, but I can pay extra for expedite (I might consider that closer to when I apply) and they will send it overseas if that's where you are.

So yay :) Free passport if I apply in less than 12 months from marriage (called "gratis") and $87 for the name change to make me Mrs. Tony in Australia. Woot! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Does anyone know if they're able to keep their Aussie drivers license when they apply for an American one? I've had conflicting statements in that one friend in Texas kept hers and another here in Georgia had his taken away.

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

10-31-03 - Started dating

09-30-06 - Broke things off Ham wasn't ready for immigration (stayed friends)

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

12-03-08 - Unofficially engaged :)

K1 Visa

10-19-2009 - Sent I-129F to VCS

10-21-2009 - Check cashed

10-22-2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

02-04-2010 - Received Package 3

02-22-2010 - Ham finally went to get his medical done

02-24-2010 - Received the all clear on the medical

03-13-2010 - Submitted paperwork for police check

03-25-2010 - Received the Police Check

04-06-2010 - Submitting the P3 to Consulate

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

05-05-2010 - Approved!!!!!!

05-06-2010 - VISA IN HAND!!!!!!

06-09-2010 - POE - LAX (Official Proposal!!!)

07-10-2010 - Wedding :D

AOS

08-31-2010 - Mailed off AOS

09-02-2010 - Packet Received

09-09-2010 - NOA1 Emails - AOS, EAD, AP

09-14-2010 - NOA1 Hard Copies - AOS, EAD, AP

10-04-2010 - Biometrics (AOS and EAD)

11-03-2010 - Email and Text that EAD and AP were approved

11-05-2010 - Email and Text that EAD was sent on for production of card.

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

11-30-2010 - AOS Interview Date

Timeline

Does anyone know if they're able to keep their Aussie drivers license when they apply for an American one? I've had conflicting statements in that one friend in Texas kept hers and another here in Georgia had his taken away.

As far as I'm concerned my Australia drivers licence is the property of VicRoads (and the Aussie government) and therefore cannot be taken from me from anyone BUT them... I know that if you go from US state to state they do that, but I think the rules for another country's licence shouldn't be the same (and it's likely that the person who TOOK the licence didn't know the International rule that may or may not apply). I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask, but I plan on telling them no. I'll pretend I don't have the original if it helps :P

**Edit -- Here: http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl it says if you're a USC then they will take it. If you're not a USC then you can keep it. SO looks like we should all apply before becomming USC's in order to retain our Aussie licences (well for Georgia specifically but can't help to do the same for other states "just in case"). Also, on another note, you can easily (though for a fee) get a replacement drivers licence if you've "lost" yours so if they DO try and take it from you, ask for a new one to be sent to your family in Australia or something :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Thanks Astrid :) Good to read that the LA office gave you the same info the DC office mentions on their website. UNIFORMITY for once :D

Name change in Vic is $87 (well $86 something) and like SA gives the 2 docs (like Astrid said).

Also like Astrid said i'm waiting on the name change so that I don't send my original birth certificate in case it's needed. I didn't know about the note saying you can't surrender it so I'll consider just waiting till I have my GC then sending it all off.

Name change in Vic takes around a month i'm told, but I can pay extra for expedite (I might consider that closer to when I apply) and they will send it overseas if that's where you are.

So yay :) Free passport if I apply in less than 12 months from marriage (called "gratis") and $87 for the name change to make me Mrs. Tony in Australia. Woot! :)

When Alex got home tonight so we talked about when I should do a name change...I don't need to use my passport until August when we go on our honeymoon, so in order to avoid having to pay for a second birth certificate we are going to do the following - We are hoping to have my green card in May. Once I have my green card I can afford to relinquish my birth certificate. If I don't have the GC by May, we will pay to have the extra birth certificate, because that gives us two months to get the name change sorted and have my passport ready to travel.

Edited by alex and astrid

Timeline

When Alex got home tonight so we talked about when I should do a name change...I don't need to use my passport until August when we go on our honeymoon, so in order to avoid having to pay for a second birth certificate we are going to do the following - We are hoping to have my green card in May. Once I have my green card I can afford to relinquish my birth certificate. If I don't have the GC by May, we will pay to have the extra birth certificate, because that gives us two months to get the name change sorted and have my passport ready to travel.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Speaking of the name change process, as promised (like I spoke to Astrid about on FB :P) here is a thread i started re the name change process: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/248400-australian-passport-name-change-process/ for Aussie females on their passports etc.

Hope this helps :)

Timeline

As far as I'm concerned my Australia drivers licence is the property of VicRoads (and the Aussie government) and therefore cannot be taken from me from anyone BUT them... I know that if you go from US state to state they do that, but I think the rules for another country's licence shouldn't be the same (and it's likely that the person who TOOK the licence didn't know the International rule that may or may not apply). I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask, but I plan on telling them no. I'll pretend I don't have the original if it helps :P

**Edit -- Here: http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl it says if you're a USC then they will take it. If you're not a USC then you can keep it. SO looks like we should all apply before becomming USC's in order to retain our Aussie licences (well for Georgia specifically but can't help to do the same for other states "just in case"). Also, on another note, you can easily (though for a fee) get a replacement drivers licence if you've "lost" yours so if they DO try and take it from you, ask for a new one to be sent to your family in Australia or something :D

Oooooh, good thinking on that replacement one. Well, he's wanting to try and get an international license there so he can drive over here. But I don't know if it's valid or not. Think he's just trying to avoid doing the parallel parking. :P

Okay, another question. How long did it take most of you to get your police check back? It's coming up on about two weeks now for Ham to get his. Just worried about us not making it for him to get here in May.

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

K1 Visa

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

AOS

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

Timeline

Oooooh, good thinking on that replacement one. Well, he's wanting to try and get an international license there so he can drive over here. But I don't know if it's valid or not. Think he's just trying to avoid doing the parallel parking. :P

Okay, another question. How long did it take most of you to get your police check back? It's coming up on about two weeks now for Ham to get his. Just worried about us not making it for him to get here in May.

mine was ridiculous, about a month I think. Only supposed to be 10 days so I kept calling them.

Re the international driving permit (IDP), it's not needed because the Aussie licence is recognised in the US. Most states allow it as long as there's 12 months validity left on the licence. The only issue with the aussie licence and IDP are car insurance. My husbands doesn't cover international licenced drivers so I can't drive it until I have my US licence. You can still rent and drive a hire car though (and they're really decently priced I think). Anyway that's what I think, check with your car insurer that he's covered or what you need to make sure he's covered rather than wasting money on an IDP. The IDP are better for countries that don't recognise our countries licence and i can tell you that the US does. :D

Timeline

It took nearly three weeks to get mine back, and I only got it back when I did because I rang up Police HQ in Brisbane and hassled them about it. If I hadn't I suspect they would have teken far longer. Tell Ham to bug them!!!

I must have been lucky because I got mine within the 2 week window...which shocked me as I had heard it could take longer. I would ring and ask questions.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Timeline

I talked to Ham last night and he said that he got the police check. :) Which means that he'll be able to submit all the paperwork on Monday.

Now my concern is whether I make enough to qualify. I checked and I make well over the amount but still paranoid. :P

I'll check with my insurance company as well about whether they'll accept his license. :)

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

K1 Visa

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

04-11-2010 - Received P4

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.