Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi guys!

My husband, an Australian citizen, is finally on the NVC side of things. He has not yet received his package (package 3, I think?), but is attempting to prepare the required information (immunisation, police certificate, etc.) before this time. He's in Melbourne, and so will be filing his application form for a police record check with the Victoria Police Public Enquiry Service. The police record check can be done without a fingerprint record check for AUD30, or with a fingerprint check for AUD131. We were unsure as to which would be required or preferred by the US government to be filed by him; hopefully the former, though, obviously. Does anyone know whether the fingerprint check is necessary or if the standard police certificate is sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Best thing to do is to go to this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206016 . It explains everything from NOA2 to interview :)

A National Police check with fingerprints is required. There is a post in the K1 thread specifically mentioning what happens when P3 arrives as well as links to the important pages.

Welcome :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Don't wanna thread hijack but...

This little cutie is looking for votes to win the comp. She's the bubs of a friend of mine. Can you vote for her pretty please? Just click "like" under these two pics :)

Pic 1: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1117...p;id=1273116951

Pic 2: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1117...p;id=1273116951

If this isn't allowed I'm sure it'll get removed but I promised a friend I'd give it a go. Thanks in advance. She's so cute!

She's Aussie though so I hope this counts as a okay thing :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi guys!

My husband, an Australian citizen, is finally on the NVC side of things. He has not yet received his package (package 3, I think?), but is attempting to prepare the required information (immunisation, police certificate, etc.) before this time. He's in Melbourne, and so will be filing his application form for a police record check with the Victoria Police Public Enquiry Service. The police record check can be done without a fingerprint record check for AUD30, or with a fingerprint check for AUD131. We were unsure as to which would be required or preferred by the US government to be filed by him; hopefully the former, though, obviously. Does anyone know whether the fingerprint check is necessary or if the standard police certificate is sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Vanessa's thread is great for info on PCC and Medicals but if you're doing CR1/IR1 and not K1 you won't get a Packet 3. Once you've paid your AOS fee and your IV fee online, there is a link to instructions. That is what will tell you what you will need for your AOS and the IV link will tell your husband what he needs for his DS-230. You must send the PCC with the DS230 as well as original docs requested + a copy of each and 2 passport sized (American) photos.

The medical he can do when he receives his interview letter as the medical goes to the interview with him and does not get sent with his DS230 package. Also, one other difference (which just sucks for us) is the CR1/IR1 interviews are scheduled by the NVC with the Consulate so it's about 4-6 weeks from case complete when you actually get your interview.

Hope this helps!! Best of luck ... :star:

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Vanessa's thread is great for info on PCC and Medicals but if you're doing CR1/IR1 and not K1 you won't get a Packet 3.

I thought everyone that files for an immigrant visa receives Packet 3? Mine came as an email with a link to the instructions on the Consulate's website. (But then again I filed via DCF so I guess it could be different)

The medical he can do when he receives his interview letter as the medical goes to the interview with him and does not get sent with his DS230 package.

Are you sure? I thought the medical has to be done at the same time everything else because you are supposed to send them in with your police check and the rest of your paperwork in order to schedule the interview.

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline
I thought everyone that files for an immigrant visa receives Packet 3? Mine came as an email with a link to the instructions on the Consulate's website. (But then again I filed via DCF so I guess it could be different)

Are you sure? I thought the medical has to be done at the same time everything else because you are supposed to send them in with your police check and the rest of your paperwork in order to schedule the interview.

They do receive a TYPE of packet 3 by email but it's not the same as ours. This is the letter they get sent in lieu of ours: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/DS-2001.pdf and here is the link of documents etc they receive in lieu of the K1 list: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/family.html

You can see a link on the left for the medical examination. Down the bottom of the second link (and also IN the first link) I provided is "overview" which explains the process in short. On the first link (in the checklist) it says not to obtain the medical records unless it is asked for in the instructions. Specifically, point 3 in the second links "overview" says:

"You will receive an appointment letter containing the date and time of your visa interview along with instructions for obtaining a medical examination (only if the medical instructions were not included in this packet of instructions). An appointment will be scheduled for the first available date."

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

They do receive a TYPE of packet 3 by email but it's not the same as ours. This is the letter they get sent in lieu of ours: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/DS-2001.pdf and here is the link of documents etc they receive in lieu of the K1 list: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/family.html

yep, this is the same as what I received. The email was titled "PACKET 3". Those two links are included and the rest of the email says

Forms required

Form DS-230 Parts I&II — Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

Form DS-2001 — Notification of Applicant Readiness

Form I-864 — Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act

Form I-864A — Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member

Form I-864EZ — Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act

Form I-864P — Poverty Guidelines

Form I-864W — Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption

Form I-865 — Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address

A medical examination is required, for further information; please refer to the following website: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/medical.html.

To obtain a list of the Panel Physicians, please refer to the following website http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/iv/doctors.html . Medical forms are only obtained from the Panel Physician.

If you need to obtain a police certificate for Australia, please refer to the following website: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/pol...ertificate.html. Please visit the State Department website on www.uscis.gov if you need to obtain a police certificate for another country.

Please send the completed DS230 Parts I & II forms immediately. Do not sign DS230 Part II. You should begin to collect all items applicable to your case that is listed on the following pages. Please do not fax forms DS-230 Parts I & II. The original forms must be mailed.

When you have gathered all documentation, complete & mail all applicable documentation with the DS-2001 form and checklist to the U.S. Consulate General, Sydney.

You are required to furnish the original of each document PLUS one photocopy. That office will contact you with your immigrant visa interview time. Your original documents will be returned to you at the time of your final visa interview.

Immigrant visa processing times vary. There may be unexpected ineligibilities that become apparent only at the time of your interview which require additional time and processing. For this reason, you should not make any irrevocable arrangements, such as purchasing non-refundable tickets, selling your home, or quitting your job, until after your immigrant visa is actually approved and issued to you.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General, Sydney(TY)

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Have any Aussies filed I-751 removal of conditions recently? Or will be doing so in the coming months? Would love to know if there's a complete & recommended guide out there

We are two months out and I need to start getting organized :wacko:

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline
Have any Aussies filed I-751 removal of conditions recently? Or will be doing so in the coming months? Would love to know if there's a complete & recommended guide out there

We are two months out and I need to start getting organized :wacko:

There's this guide (which I'm sure you knew about): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

When you say "2 months out" what do you mean? You know of course that you need to apply in the 90 days PRIOR to the greencard expiration date right?

If you like (because I seriously have nothing better to do) I can do some research and start on a ROC thread similar to my AOS thread... let me know :)

Timeline

For us, there was no email. I waited and finally rang NVC a week after our IV bill showed paid and was told there is no correspondence for the next step. The link to all the information is in the online payment portal.

And a ROC thread would be good, too.

Edited by Deb+Steve

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

I'm at work but I will post the link to the instructions from the portal so we can compare. Not as comprehensive as the instructions you received, kaffy. I know that much!

We've just completed our IV and AOS packets with no further instructions received. The next correspondence we will receive, fingers crossed, is my Packet 4 with an interview date. Expect that to be in about 4-6 weeks if we're lucky. Fingers crossed for me everyone!! I only just mailed my DS230 packet yesterday to NVC.

Edited by Deb+Steve

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

When you say "2 months out" what do you mean? You know of course that you need to apply in the 90 days PRIOR to the greencard expiration date right?

2 months out from the start of the 90 day window ;) I want to have my paperwork ready to send off from day 1

Would be GREAT if you could start a thread :star:

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Here is the link from the online payment portal for CR1/IR1 ... wish I had known this before hand because it's easily accessible from the DOS website. We DIDN'T need to wait for payment to be processed and instructions, it was already there.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

At least I have all my vaccinations, glad I did that early even with the added cost for Qld's pathology.

And a Q for everyone - did you have to take a copy of the I-864 with you to the interview? Considering he submits it to the NVC, would the Consulate receive that and should I have a copy of it just in case?

Edited by Deb+Steve

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

I thought I'd share something I just found out about writing cheques for USCIS (this was for AOS specifically):

It's important when writing the cheque that you write:

"One Thousand Ten and 00/100" or it might be returned.

Here is the USCIS link outlining the cheque writing requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD because if you're like me, it doesn't make sense to write it that way and I wouldn't have written it like that but their wish is our command :)

Hope some of you find this useful :D

I just asked my man and that's the way he writes cheques but I would not have know if you hadn't of brought this up Vanessa. Oh and they spell it c-h-e-c-k. Amerians always have to do everything different! :lol:

Timeline
I just asked my man and that's the way he writes cheques but I would not have know if you hadn't of brought this up Vanessa. Oh and they spell it c-h-e-c-k. Amerians always have to do everything different! :lol:

Oh I know how they spell it but it's stupid! lol. Every time I see "check please" I think "check what? What's wrong?" or when I pass a "checking agent" I wonder what they're checking. Until I get a job where I HAVE to spell it that way I'm sticking to my guns :P CHEQUE!!! lol.

As for not knowing to do it that way.. neither would I until I saw a post where a girl had her case returned because the cheque was wrong (btw I actually wrote check that time :S) and she didn't know why and was told it was the way she wrote the CHEQUE (hehehe). I personally would have written it "one thousand and ten dollars and no cents" or not written the cents part and instead done the "line thing".. but mine would have been returned too!! Oh well though. I know now :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.