Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you Vanessa! You are a gem. That seems pretty straight forward. I will start getting everything together for my little guys passport asap and hopefully will be able to apply for it as soon as I receive his birth certificate.

You guys are so helpful, I really appreciate it!! xx

Oh and I have another question. My baby will have a US passport, so should I get him an Australian passport also? Because he will have an American passport, does he need to be listed on the K1 petition form?

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

My partner lives in Everett :)

Hi fellow Washingtonian

Seattle area is nice, you will enjoy it :)

Oh and I have another question. My baby will have a US passport, so should I get him an Australian passport also? Because he will have an American passport, does he need to be listed on the K1 petition form?

Your bub is an American citizen through birth so he won't need to be listed on your petition but I do suggest getting him an Aussie passport before you move. It is always easier getting a passport processed while you are present in the country and he'll need one of he wants to travel back to Australia (not that he can't enter on a US one but it just makes things easier)

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

I tried to edit my last post to add another question in :blush: but my edit button seems to have disappeared.

Just looking at the steps involved for applying for my baby's US passport ... the following step has me a little stumped, does my baby have to have US citizenship before I can apply for his passport?? The Canberra site is where I got the following step from but the Melbourne site doesn't have that same step ...

Child’s most recent U.S. passport. If the child has never held a U.S. passport, documentary evidence of U.S. citizenship must be provided.

The Melbourne site has this step ... but I'm not sure if it means the same as above?

Completed (but not signed) Affidavit of Physical Presence and Parentage.

Maybe I should just follow what it says on the Melbourne site?

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Do the CRBA first, then apply for his passport ;)http://melbourne.usconsulate.gov/consular/...nship/crba.html

Correct me if I am wrong but your fiance (the father of the baby/the American citizen) will probably need to be in Australia to submit the baby's CRBA

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Hiya Kaffy! I agree, I love the Seattle area and I can't wait to be able to explore it more too!

I think you just answered my last question, regarding bub's citizenship. The only proof I will have of that I guess is on his birth certificate, I hope that's all they require in the application.

I will definitely get him an Aussie passport too, I have to renew mine very soon, so I will do his at the same time :)

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

On other US Embassy websites it says that both parents and child must be present at the appointment but the instructions on the Aussie site are vague. I'd shoot them an email and see what they say MelbourneACS@state.gov

ps- the good thing is that you can do the bub's CRBA, passport and SSN application all at the same time

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline
On other US Embassy websites it says that both parents and child must be present at the appointment but the instructions on the Aussie site are vague. I'd shoot them an email and see what they say MelbourneACS@state.gov

ps- the good thing is that you can do the bub's CRBA, passport and SSN application all at the same time

I shall do that, thanks for the email address.

Yeah I was just reading up on all that and I will apply for all 3 things at once ... it seems like they want as much info for all of this put together, as they do for the K1 petition LOL.

All this info is very overwhelming and I'm probably taking in too much too soon, but I just want to get some of the processes started and get it out the way.

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I shall do that, thanks for the email address.

Yeah I was just reading up on all that and I will apply for all 3 things at once ... it seems like they want as much info for all of this put together, as they do for the K1 petition LOL.

All this info is very overwhelming and I'm probably taking in too much too soon, but I just want to get some of the processes started and get it out the way.

Agree with sending the email. It doesn't LOOK like he needs to be there, but there's a document that he needs to sign but they say to submit it UNSIGNED which is a little confusing.

I would probably try and get him sorted before you get started on the K1 stuff just because otherwise you won't get your originals back (like your birth certificate etc) until the final interview. Once you know if your son has his passport (both) then all you need to worry about is you. The main reason for getting him sorted first is in case it takes a while, because you only have a 6 month validity on your K1. He won't be able to enter the US without a visa or a US passport so if you make sure he's good to go, less stress for you. It shouldn't take too long, maybe even you could get that started AFTER you've started the K1 but you need your fiance's birth cert, and you'll need it for your son too (I'm pretty sure) so it's probably best to do one at a time (son or K1).

It's very exciting though :D

Agree with sending the email. It doesn't LOOK like he needs to be there, but there's a document that he needs to sign but they say to submit it UNSIGNED which is a little confusing.

Might be like the DS-230 Part 2 which they have you sign in person in front of the consular officer. That's my guess

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Thanks guys :)

Well I emailed and got a very fast response back!

They said he just needs to fill out a statement of consent form and have it signed by a notary, as well as a notarized copy of his passport. So all good :) except I don't even think he has a passport, he's in the Military and has never needed one I guess. I will have to ask him if he has a Military passport, I don't know how it all works for them over there.

Yes it's very exciting Vanessa! lol ... I feel I have achieved a lot already in the past 24 hours, I guess I'm more knowledgible and feeling more confident about it all now.

My plan is to do bubs CRBA, passport and SSN stuff first, then I'll do his Aussie passport and renew mine at the same time. Then I will make a start on the K1.

I have an 8.5 year old son also, not the same father. When doing the K1 petition, should my partner put both kids on the petition or will bubs be able to just enter the country on his US passport with no problems of staying as long as he wants etc?

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

That's good to hear that he doesn't have to come do it in person! Bubs doesnt have to be included on the K-1 if the CRBA is accepted and he is granted his US passport. The CRBA functions as a US birth certificate.

Good luck with the forms and everything :)

Does your fiance happen to be in the navy? Reason I ask is because our accountant at work has a son who's in the navy up at Everett :P

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

As said, bubs doesn't need to be put on because as soon as he has a US passport he can come and go as he pleases. Is your other son coming? If so he will need to be mentioned via a K2 I believe it is (this is about where I know nothing :P). Dual citizenship wise I know stuff though. I'm a UK cit too so I can go there and live there and do everything exactly as I would if it were Australia, just as I can do what I like in Australia. The only issue is when you get older and the tax implications. I only need to pay taxes if i worked there and earnt money. I don't even need to file a tax return in the UK 'cause I'm not there. I know some countries make you pay taxes just for being a citizen/resident so while I know Australia I'm fine now I don't live there, I'm not sure about the US though, this'll be something new I learn (if we ever go back to Australia I mean if I'm a citizen of the US).

It's good to hear that you're feeling better about it. I felt the same as you in the beginning too. Knowledge is power. Good to hear you got an email so fast too. Also, my husband is an ex-marine and he doesn't have a passport either. Didn't ever need one for Marine business, they just hop on a plane, no need for any visas of whatever **jealous!!** He needs to get one now though to visit Australia later this year and would have needed one if he travelled on his own without a Marine purpose.

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Please keep us updated. It'll be good to read how it goes. Maybe even consider starting your own thread about the whole registering a child of US father in Australia process, including forms and paperwork needed etc. I'm sure there might be women out there who'd appreciate this info. I know I've been looking into which country (Australia or America) would be best to have our kids in... I haven't been seriously looking but until we get healthcare Australia seems best 'cause it won't break the bank :P

Look forward to your updates!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
That's good to hear that he doesn't have to come do it in person! Bubs doesnt have to be included on the K-1 if the CRBA is accepted and he is granted his US passport. The CRBA functions as a US birth certificate.

Good luck with the forms and everything :)

Does your fiance happen to be in the navy? Reason I ask is because our accountant at work has a son who's in the navy up at Everett :P

Well that's good to know! My baby is very lucky lol.

He is in the Navy actually lol but his Dad lives in OKC so I don't think we have the same guy :).

Oh great, another application! Thanks Vanessa LOL. Now I will have to find out at what point in the K1 process, that the K2 needs to be filed. I haven't even begun but will be so glad when it's all over and done with!

You situation with taxes etc sounds too complicated for me haha. I think Australia is the best choice to have a child in, at the moment anyways. My partner asked me how much my hospital bill was just after I had our baby ... I said FREE!!! LOL

I will definitely keep you all updated, I'm sure I'll be in here nagging you all with more questions lol.

Thanks so much again for all your help so far, you've all been wonderful!

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Timeline

From me to you: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-outline.html k1 & k2 guide :D

Unmarried children - If a K1 has an unmarried child under 21, the child can be given K2 dependent status if he or she was included in the U.S. citizen’s K1 petition.

Here's the K1 instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf page 1, column 1 at the bottom says: "Unmarried children of your fiancé(e) or spouse who are under 21 years of age and listed on this form will be eligible to apply to accompany your fiancé(e) or spouse."

Here's a thread on K2: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...11007&hl=k2

Memo re AOS for K2: http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/K2...tatus031507.pdf

From what I understand, all you have to do is make sure your 8 1/2 y/o is mentioned in your K1 petition as a person that is going with you. I know there's also something about the child's father signing something for permission but that might happen at the P3 stage. Hope those links give you something to work on.

Also, this link: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments...nt_Services.pdf page 120 discuses how your 8 1/2 y/o can attend school while in K2 status and before adjusting status so you can be sure his school isn't interrupted.

Sorry with overloading you with links and again, good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.