Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You don't go through customs on the way out, you turn it over at POE in Sydney, but I recommend you just take it to the consulate when you get to Australia. And you're welcome, I can look further into it if you wish, but you should be able to go right to the consulate in Sydney and bring the I-407 and all your legal documents and turn them in. Also, change your address with the USCIS online just to be sure. When you change your address online the USCIS sends you what looks like a NOA, but it's a change of address notification printed on the same type of paper to confirm your new residence. There are also immigration officers at LAX that you can talk to about the situation. I wouldn't give the greencard to anyone that is not an official USCIS immigration officer that's why I recommend a long layover in Sydney so you can take care of it there. You can call them and ask to speak to a representitive to be sure, but that quote came from law.com where you can ask a lawyer questions for free advice and that was his reply.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Timeline

I have a question... why don't you naturalize before you leave? If you did that you would not abandon status and you would be able to come back to America and still maintain your Australian Citizenship. I can't read your timeline to see how long you have been here but that honestly is the easiest and makes the most sense to me since you went through all this work and money to be together. Just a question.

Edited by Rings

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

^ That was my initial reaction too but I suppose if they ever decide to move back to the US again they can always DCF which is a fairly quick process.

If it were me though I would either naturalize, or hang on to my green card (and get a re-entry permit) because I like to be prepared for these things

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Thanks for taking the time to look in to this for me. We're going through Melbourne, not Sydney, on the way back to Aus., so it's a no-go on the Consulate in Sydney. I'll contact them, though, and see what they suggest.

I have been in the US for almost 4 years now, and I have previously considered becoming a dual citizen but decided against it. I haven't applied for a re-entry permit as we won't be moving back to the US. Plus my residence in Aus. will negate my Greencard anyway (long term commitments in Aus) so it's best to just turn it in now. I know to some it might seem like a big waste of effort going through the whole procedure to get here, but this is the best situation for us, and my family and I are looking forward to continuing our journey back home. I just want to make sure I can holiday in the US in the future without any hassles.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thanks for taking the time to look in to this for me. We're going through Melbourne, not Sydney, on the way back to Aus., so it's a no-go on the Consulate in Sydney. I'll contact them, though, and see what they suggest.

I have been in the US for almost 4 years now, and I have previously considered becoming a dual citizen but decided against it. I haven't applied for a re-entry permit as we won't be moving back to the US. Plus my residence in Aus. will negate my Greencard anyway (long term commitments in Aus) so it's best to just turn it in now. I know to some it might seem like a big waste of effort going through the whole procedure to get here, but this is the best situation for us, and my family and I are looking forward to continuing our journey back home. I just want to make sure I can holiday in the US in the future without any hassles.

Obviously you're more than entitled to do what is best for you and your family but I am curious why you don't want dual. Not being rude or judgmental, I just wondered if there's a negative I haven't thought about... Would you mind telling me what your reasons are? I'm dual with the UK and Australia and so far haven't seen ANY negatives except making sure I keep the passports up-to-date.

Thanks in advance :D

Obviously you're more than entitled to do what is best for you and your family but I am curious why you don't want dual. Not being rude or judgmental, I just wondered if there's a negative I haven't thought about... Would you mind telling me what your reasons are? I'm dual with the UK and Australia and so far haven't seen ANY negatives except making sure I keep the passports up-to-date.

Yeah curious myself for when I get to that stage in the process.

And a quick question, when can you? thanks in advance :)

Timeline

If you plan on vacationing in America without hassles then it would be best to Naturalize so you can re-enter as a citizen and not have to ever go through customs or file for DCF which would not only be a pain in the butt, but can very well delay your vacation plans if it's not approved quick enough. Not to mention if your husband had a family emergency and had to come back to America you would not be able to come with him unless you had an re-entry permit and that is something you are not planning on getting so he would have to come alone.

I am having a hard time figuring out why you would want to hand over your greencard if you plan any sort of re-entry in the future. It makes no sense because you are going to be out of staus.

When can you naturalize? 3 years after arrival in the US if you are married to a USC

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

If you plan on vacationing in America without hassles then it would be best to Naturalize so you can re-enter as a citizen and not have to ever go through customs or file for DCF which would not only be a pain in the butt, but can very well delay your vacation plans if it's not approved quick enough. Not to mention if your husband had a family emergency and had to come back to America you would not be able to come with him unless you had an re-entry permit and that is something you are not planning on getting so he would have to come alone.

I am having a hard time figuring out why you would want to hand over your greencard if you plan any sort of re-entry in the future. It makes no sense because you are going to be out of staus.

When can you naturalize? 3 years after arrival in the US if you are married to a USC

thought it was 3 :) thx :D

I look forward to naturalizing.. it'll make me a quad-citizen but I haven't seen any rules that say I can't :P

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Naturlization essentially means that you become an American Citizen. Now America does not care if you keep your passport to your country and they are not going to "get with your country" to conspire on what country you are a citizen of. All it means is that you have both an American passport and an Australian passport and when you come into America you use the American one and when you go to Australia you use the Australian one. It's really simple actually. This is why I don't understand why she wants to give up her greencard instead of naturlizing.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Hi everyone!

I just had my medical. It was pretty straight forward, and didn't take very long at all. I had my immunisations, Xray and bloods already done, so it was basically a few medical history questions and some 'hands on' stuff (literally, I wasn't expecting the breast examination...). They gave me back all the papers loose. I was expecting them in an envelope but they said the procedure has changed. Hope this is correct.

Ok, so now I just have to wait for Brian's originals to get here and I will send off the packet 3. They SHOULD be here any day now, I sure hope they are. I have very little patience left after all this.

Quick question (and it sounds kinda dumb but I want to be sure), we need 2 copies of DS156, each with a passport photo. Do we glue the photos to these forms? or just attach them at the top?

Also does my name and DOB need to be printed on the back of the photos?

I am trying to be so thorough with all this, and don't want to stuff up the easy stuff!

thanks everyone :)

OUR TIMELINE

Feb 20 2010 - The Wedding :D

AOS

Mar 26 2010 - Sent AOS

Apr 8 2010 - Rec NOAs for AOS/EAD/AP

May 3 2010 - Original Biometrics Appointment...pfft dont ask...

May 6 2010 - AOS sent to CSC

Jun 11 2010 - Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment

Jun 2010 - Rec EAD & AP

Jul 7 2010 - notification of GC Card Production & Welcome Letter (text messages and emails)

Jul 19 2010 - Rec GC

LIFTING CONDITIONS

Apr 25 2012 - File date

Apr 30 2012 - NOA rec

May 31 2012 - Biometrics taken

Dec 18 2012 - notification of Green Card Production (text message and email)

DEC 21 2012 - Rec GC

event.png

They gave me back all the papers loose. I was expecting them in an envelope but they said the procedure has changed. Hope this is correct.

My medical papers were returned to me in an unsealed envelope. I made copies, sealed it up and sent it to the Consulate and didnt run into any problems

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

I did my medical last week, only did one vaccine (ADT), xray and immunity test. I came in for the results today. That's one major stress gone now as I passed it. When collecting the results I had a shot for Rubella, yes you heard right...even though I had it as a baby and my mother got it, I'm still not immune - so that has the doc surprised, which was a feat in itself. Kari's documents is on the way here, then hopefully if the AFP has actually done anything with my prints and application, should get police clearance back next week. They have a habit of calls being dropped once you try the magic number for the application inquiries. I'm sure if we ring about Osama sightings, that's more likely to be answered than a call about Police Clearances :whistle: I have to be careful with all the forms as I have not yet filled them, though did the DS 230 asap. Those will be done before the Fedex pack arrives with our I-134 and then ready to send off for Packet 4 :yes:

Adjustment of Status from K-1 visa.

CIS Office: Charleston WV

Date Filed: 2010-06-08

NOA Date: 2010-06-14

RFE(s): 2010-07-26

Bio. Appt: 2010-07-01

AOS Transfer 2010-08-26 CSC

AP and EAD approved 01 September 2010

Service Request issued: March 17, 2011

Green Card Approval: March 29, 2011

Green Card in Hand: April 4, 2011

Permanent Resident since March 23, 2011

Full time State employee (VA)

ROC Window opens: December 23, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey Miss Natalie, I saw that you had your bloodwork and xrays done prior to your medical, this was allowed by your panel doctor? which state do you live in, because if you are in QLD then I want to know if I can do that, because it made it cheaper, right? Can you tell me more about what you did when you got your chest xray and bloods done? Were you referred by your GP? And what did you ask for your blood to be tested for?

Thanks!!!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Thanks again for the thoughts and replies. :) Just to share for those of you who like to file away info in the back of your minds, I heard back from the US consulate in Sydney, and they let me know I can send form I-407 to them with my Greencard, and they will send me a signed copy of the form. From then on, I revert back to my original status as an Aus. citizen who can enter the US on the VWP.

It was just a personal choice to not become a dual citizen. While certainly not my deciding factor, by relinquishing my Greencard, I no longer have to report to the IRS, which makes life a whole lot easier. I have had an unbelieveable last 4 years here, but Australia is my home and my family and I intend to remain there. What may seem like an obvious choice to one person, may mean something completely different to another.

Best of luck to all of you, and thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.