Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey everyone!

Just a quick introduction - I seem to always be lurking around enough that I feel that I know you all already, so I thought it was time to say hello.

My name is Zoe and I'm a twenty year old law student and Queensland resident. I've been an Australian citizen for about ten years now, as I was born and raised in New Zealand... though maybe I shouldn't admit to that as much as I do! My fiancee Matt is twenty two and lives in Chicago, IL. So he's a.. Chicagoan? Chicagan? Person Who Lives in Illinois? We met online a year or so ago and have been in crazy love ever since, and now we find ourselves knee deep in paperwork and vacillating between getting on with our lives and not worrying too much about the process or the wait we're facing and crazy worried/nervous/WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG SWEET LORD but I guess that's part and parcel of a) loving an American citizen and b) getting involved with the USCIS. It's certainly a process that makes you hope you'll never take each other for granted :)

Astrid, I know the Aussie website ry.com.au (where I bought my GHD from) have reduced their prices, so maybe even with postage it would work out cheaper than from anywhere else. I couldn't live without my GHD as it is truly a miracle worker and has got me through some tough times. Winter in Chicago? Not a problem. Sweating it out in Queensland? Totally under control. I promise I don't work for GHD in any way, haha. I tried a CHI straightener in the US and I didn't get the hype at all.

Hi Zoe! I am a Queenslander too....kind of. Born in South Australia, raised in Victoria, but call Brisbane home now because Mum and Dad have lived there for a few years now. While I was home doing the K1 I lived with them and really fell in love with Brissie...miss it a lot! Where are you in QLD? BTW, my brother goes to UQ at St. Lucia, I wonder if that is where you go? If you say you go to QUT I won't pick on you, a friend of mine is doing law there, haha.

You and your fiance aren't much younger than Alex and I...we're both 23 and on the younger end of the people on VJ...we've been together five years though which is FOREVER!

Thanks for the GHD tip, I will check it out. The only think I have against getting a GHD from home is the plugs it will have..right now I think I'd rather has US plugs.

Good luck on your journey!

I had no idea about dual voltage and Melvin is a bloody Electrician, you would think he would have informed me of it, as he knows my hair dryer shat itself, he had to take me to Walmart so I could buy a cheap and nasty Revlon one LOL. I must check my Lappy ... because I'd like to bring that over.

LOL you are so funny ... don't go out in LA without good hurrrrrr! You definitely need a GHD for the more humid type climates eh. What part of LA are you in anyways? I don't know it well, have only done one of the LA tours and stayed near Anaheim for a week last year. I remember more of Hollywood and Beverly Hills than the actual city part of LA. Oh and I remember driving past Compton ... my ex has moved there from Oklahoma ... he wants to come visit us at LAX when we're in transit, there is no way I will be going to visit him! LOL

I think once we are all finally over in the US and the paperwork is done etc, we should have like a big Aussie VJ meet :whistle:

Welcome Chloe and Ren :). Chloe where in Qld are you? I am originally from there but have been in Melbourne for 7.5 years.

Your laptop should be fine, when I first moved to the US on the F1 in 2006, I bought my old HP lappy over, it was fine on the lower voltage.

Mmmm mmm gurl you know I need my hurrr did to be looking good!! LOL. I used to have a HAI straightener before it crapped itself, and I really liked it. My hair would pretty much stay straight, even more so if I blowdry first. I just chopped off all my hair though so I need to straighten all the time, and the Conair one I got to tide me over isn't really up to the job.

I am in the San Fernando Valley in LA, not far from Burbank. I am just over the other side of the hill from Hollywood! It's pretty good when I feel bored and I want to people watch :)

I would be down for a meetup! I haven't seen too much of the US so any excuse to see more!

BTW Jaime, I didn't know you were ex-QLD! I lived in Oxley/Jindalee area while I was home with Mum and Dad last year...and lived in Shepparton, Victoria growing up. I ate a lot of SPC haha!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Terri, how did you get an interview date so soon after you submitted your request? The most recent update to the time lines show that someone who submitted their P3 on the 1st has an interview date for the 27th so almost 4 weeks from their submission. Yours was only two weeks after submission of the P3.

Just worried cause I'm thinking that me and Ham probably won't get our interview date until May now based off of the most recent update. I was kind of hoping it'd only be a week or two like yours was. We only have until June 4th to get his visa or else we have to file for an extension. Maybe I should start looking into that. :P

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

10-31-03 - Started dating

09-30-06 - Broke things off Ham wasn't ready for immigration (stayed friends)

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

12-03-08 - Unofficially engaged :)

K1 Visa

10-19-2009 - Sent I-129F to VCS

10-21-2009 - Check cashed

10-22-2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

02-04-2010 - Received Package 3

02-22-2010 - Ham finally went to get his medical done

02-24-2010 - Received the all clear on the medical

03-13-2010 - Submitted paperwork for police check

03-25-2010 - Received the Police Check

04-06-2010 - Submitting the P3 to Consulate

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

05-05-2010 - Approved!!!!!!

05-06-2010 - VISA IN HAND!!!!!!

06-09-2010 - POE - LAX (Official Proposal!!!)

07-10-2010 - Wedding :D

AOS

08-31-2010 - Mailed off AOS

09-02-2010 - Packet Received

09-09-2010 - NOA1 Emails - AOS, EAD, AP

09-14-2010 - NOA1 Hard Copies - AOS, EAD, AP

10-04-2010 - Biometrics (AOS and EAD)

11-03-2010 - Email and Text that EAD and AP were approved

11-05-2010 - Email and Text that EAD was sent on for production of card.

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

11-30-2010 - AOS Interview Date

Timeline

Terri, how did you get an interview date so soon after you submitted your request? The most recent update to the time lines show that someone who submitted their P3 on the 1st has an interview date for the 27th so almost 4 weeks from their submission. Yours was only two weeks after submission of the P3.

Just worried cause I'm thinking that me and Ham probably won't get our interview date until May now based off of the most recent update. I was kind of hoping it'd only be a week or two like yours was. We only have until June 4th to get his visa or else we have to file for an extension. Maybe I should start looking into that. :P

I think it all depends on what day of the week they get your P3. My interview was three weeks after I submitted my P3. It also might be that they are backed up right now and Terri just lucked out. Or, the person that has a four week wait requested to be pushed back. I think it's pretty safe to assume that you interview would be 2-3 weeks after submission. If you really are worred, contact the consulate and ask to be extended, I am sure it won't be took big of a deal :)

Timeline

What Astrid said.. also I think she wrote on the form that she planned to leave on X date

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Your laptop should be fine, when I first moved to the US on the F1 in 2006, I bought my old HP lappy over, it was fine on the lower voltage.

Mmmm mmm gurl you know I need my hurrr did to be looking good!! LOL. I used to have a HAI straightener before it crapped itself, and I really liked it. My hair would pretty much stay straight, even more so if I blowdry first. I just chopped off all my hair though so I need to straighten all the time, and the Conair one I got to tide me over isn't really up to the job.

I am in the San Fernando Valley in LA, not far from Burbank. I am just over the other side of the hill from Hollywood! It's pretty good when I feel bored and I want to people watch :)

I would be down for a meetup! I haven't seen too much of the US so any excuse to see more!

BTW Jaime, I didn't know you were ex-QLD! I lived in Oxley/Jindalee area while I was home with Mum and Dad last year...and lived in Shepparton, Victoria growing up. I ate a lot of SPC haha!

Haha you are funny! I have only had a Muster before the GHD. Do you remember how fat the Muster plates were? hahaha. They seem so ancient now, but I did love my Muster at the time.

Oh how cool ... I would love to live so close to Hollywood. I used to watch The L Word (I'm not gay or bi, but I loved the story lines LOL) and I thought it would be so cool to live in West Hollywood like they all did lol. Melvin is thinking of moving to a place just south of San Bernadino, I think it's called Temecula. I am totally up for that ... being within a short enough drive to LA and LAX etc, plus Lachy would be in theme park heaven haha.

Yes well I reckon we should all fly over Ness and Terri's way LOL. I have only been as far over as Texas and Oklahoma.

Ohhhh I used to work in 17 Mile Rocks on 17 Mile Rocks Road! Small world huh. I grew up near Ipswich (please don't hold that against me LOL). I lived in Bundamba for most of the 16 years I was up there, but have also lived in lots of areas in and around Ipswich, Hillcrest, Marsden, Burpengary and many others.

I have also lived in Seymour but never Shepp lol. Yeah I heard the SPC factory was up that way LMAO.

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Tez ... I am thinking you are on a plane right now (wasn't sure on your departure time), so I hope you are sleeping that flight away and will be at your destination sometime within the next 12 hours I'm tipping!!

I'm so excited for you guys ♥♥

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Everyone - just popping in to introduce myself :)

My name is Carey, Im 39 and living on the Gold Coast in Queensland. My fiancee is Ted and he lives in Texas and our K1 petition was sent to VSC by fedex today.....and so the journey begins......dang I'm excited :)

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!!

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Timeline

Haha you are funny! I have only had a Muster before the GHD. Do you remember how fat the Muster plates were? hahaha. They seem so ancient now, but I did love my Muster at the time.

Oh how cool ... I would love to live so close to Hollywood. I used to watch The L Word (I'm not gay or bi, but I loved the story lines LOL) and I thought it would be so cool to live in West Hollywood like they all did lol. Melvin is thinking of moving to a place just south of San Bernadino, I think it's called Temecula. I am totally up for that ... being within a short enough drive to LA and LAX etc, plus Lachy would be in theme park heaven haha.

Yes well I reckon we should all fly over Ness and Terri's way LOL. I have only been as far over as Texas and Oklahoma.

Ohhhh I used to work in 17 Mile Rocks on 17 Mile Rocks Road! Small world huh. I grew up near Ipswich (please don't hold that against me LOL). I lived in Bundamba for most of the 16 years I was up there, but have also lived in lots of areas in and around Ipswich, Hillcrest, Marsden, Burpengary and many others.

I have also lived in Seymour but never Shepp lol. Yeah I heard the SPC factory was up that way LMAO.

My first straightener was a Muster!!! I got a skinnier plate one but yeah, they were still pretty big!

Well if you used to work on Seventeen Mile Rocks Road, then you worked right by where my parents live! They live in the estate that is bordered by Seventeen Mile Rocks Road/Fort Road and the river...right by Canossa Hospital. My Mum works at Oxley McDonalds and I used to work at Indro Shopping Center :)

And I won't hold Ippy against you! Some of the funniest train trips I have taken have been on that train line, lol

Well I am here!! I arrived in Canton/Akron airport at 11:30pm Saturday night EST -- Sunday afternoon roughly 3pm in Sydney. We barely slept on the flight over too excited...hit LA absolutely exhausted, lay over there for 4 hours then on to Charlotte NC where we had another layover for 3 hours which gave me the chance to buy my man a shirt from the Harley Davidson Store in the airport.

We didnt sleep much because of the new surrounds (will take a few nights for me to sleep properly)all three of us were awake at 6am so we went out for Breakfast & then grocery shopping. Time to now chill out as my in laws are coming over YAY!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Updated timeline for the POE as well.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Timeline

My name is Carey, Im 39 and living on the Gold Coast in Queensland. My fiancee is Ted and he lives in Texas and our K1 petition was sent to VSC by fedex today.....and so the journey begins......dang I'm excited :)

Welcome to VJ!

congrats on starting the process. As always please ask us questions if you have them. Astrid (that I remember) is from QLD so she'll be more knowledgeable on the police checks process etc.

Please have a read of the K1 thread listed in my signature which should give you an idea of what to expect!

Good luck and keep us posted :D

Well I am here!! I arrived in Canton/Akron airport at 11:30pm Saturday night EST -- Sunday afternoon roughly 3pm in Sydney. We barely slept on the flight over too excited...hit LA absolutely exhausted, lay over there for 4 hours then on to Charlotte NC where we had another layover for 3 hours which gave me the chance to buy my man a shirt from the Harley Davidson Store in the airport.

We didnt sleep much because of the new surrounds (will take a few nights for me to sleep properly)all three of us were awake at 6am so we went out for Breakfast & then grocery shopping. Time to now chill out as my in laws are coming over YAY!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Congrats Terri! So happy for you. I've got the AOS thread in my signature so it's available when you decide it's time :)

I'm off to read your POE experience!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We got an interview date!!!!! It's set for May 4th. So....month off but it's at least a month before the cut off date. Should help then. I really don't think we'd be rejected. But Ham's the positive one in the relationship, I'm the negative. So, yeah, paranoid.

I don't get the check list though. They say they want the original of the final divorce decree but I don't know if they mean his or mine. I thought I wouldn't have to submit mine since all of my stuff was checked by the Service Center. And I thought he submitted his. Though maybe not cause he did mention something about him losing the original of the copies he sent me.

Did anyone else enter into this where the USC was married before and did they have to submit their divorce papers to Sydney?

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

10-31-03 - Started dating

09-30-06 - Broke things off Ham wasn't ready for immigration (stayed friends)

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

12-03-08 - Unofficially engaged :)

K1 Visa

10-19-2009 - Sent I-129F to VCS

10-21-2009 - Check cashed

10-22-2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

02-04-2010 - Received Package 3

02-22-2010 - Ham finally went to get his medical done

02-24-2010 - Received the all clear on the medical

03-13-2010 - Submitted paperwork for police check

03-25-2010 - Received the Police Check

04-06-2010 - Submitting the P3 to Consulate

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

05-05-2010 - Approved!!!!!!

05-06-2010 - VISA IN HAND!!!!!!

06-09-2010 - POE - LAX (Official Proposal!!!)

07-10-2010 - Wedding :D

AOS

08-31-2010 - Mailed off AOS

09-02-2010 - Packet Received

09-09-2010 - NOA1 Emails - AOS, EAD, AP

09-14-2010 - NOA1 Hard Copies - AOS, EAD, AP

10-04-2010 - Biometrics (AOS and EAD)

11-03-2010 - Email and Text that EAD and AP were approved

11-05-2010 - Email and Text that EAD was sent on for production of card.

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

11-30-2010 - AOS Interview Date

Timeline

YAY FOR TERRI!!! So happy for you, Eric and Bek right now :)

Hi Carey! Like Vanessa said, I am a former Queenslander so if you have any questions about the police check process or the Medical when it comes time for that, ask away :) Good luck on your journey!

We got an interview date!!!!! It's set for May 4th. So....month off but it's at least a month before the cut off date. Should help then. I really don't think we'd be rejected. But Ham's the positive one in the relationship, I'm the negative. So, yeah, paranoid.

I don't get the check list though. They say they want the original of the final divorce decree but I don't know if they mean his or mine. I thought I wouldn't have to submit mine since all of my stuff was checked by the Service Center. And I thought he submitted his. Though maybe not cause he did mention something about him losing the original of the copies he sent me.

Did anyone else enter into this where the USC was married before and did they have to submit their divorce papers to Sydney?

You will be fine!!! Really, Sydney is a breeze, and before you know it, it will be all over.

With the divorce decree, I would assume that they want both. I know that the Service Centers check off on stuff, but I guess the Consulate wants their own stuff too? You can always email them to confirm....and since you have a little under a month to get the paperwork together, you should have plenty of time. Maybe ask Terri, what the consulate asked her for? Good luck!

Edited by alex and astrid

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you Vanessa - Astrid had already kindly pointed me in the direction of your link so had read a tonne of it over the weekend :)

The paperwork side of things doesnt concern me too much as I'm a paralegal so tend to deal with tonne of legal junk on a daily basis lol (although it is all mortgage law stuff so vastly different to this!!)

At the moment I know we probably have about 3 months (at the earliest) before we receive the NOA2 and things are sent to Sydney. But I'm trying to pre-empt things ... Ted is getting the affidavit of support with the accompanying docs together and he'll have them in the post in about 2 weeks, the police check forms I have on my desktop but thought I'd apply for those at the beginning of June so I dont have them too early. There's no sign of my vaccination records and Mum has no idea where in New Zealand they were done (we moved 28 times before I was 14) so I'm getting a blood test for immunity done this Friday. I was under specialist care 2 years ago for cervical cell removal but I was given the all clear a year ago - my specialist is sending the test results confirming that just in case they're needed. So is there anything that I'm forgetting? To aggrevate matters I'm moving house in 3 weeks so I'm spread between moving and visa - arrrrrrr lol.

Thanks again for your help

Carey

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Welcome to the USA! :)

You only need to send the original and copy of the beneficiary's divorce decree (that's if he has been married before). All the documents they request on the check list in P3 are the beneficiary's documents except the I-134 Affidavit of Support which the petitioner completes. The consulate will have all the documents (including a copy of your divorce decree) you submitted with your I-129 petition. They should also have a copy of the beneficiary's divorce decree in the file but they need the original.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.