eatingraoul

How can I withdraw a petition for naturalization?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
As thea stated already, you have the option to become a US citizen AND keep your German citizenship. It is important though that you get the German Beibehaltungsgenehmigung approved and have it in your possession before you take the oath to become a US citizen.

Another thing you must consider is that you probably will lose your greencard if you move overseas for a prolonged period of time. Even with a reentry permit you cannot stay out of the country for more than two years. And if you stay out of the country for more than six months at a time you break your residency. If your spouse is a US citizen it shouldn't be a problem to reapply for a greencard (but it costs a lot of money again, plus it's a lot of paperwork all over). Good luck on your decisionmaking.

P.S. When did you apply for citizenship? Is there a way to still apply for the Beibehaltungsgenehmigung? Usually it takes about 4 months to get it approved, but I've read of cases where it took only a few a weeks. Get in touch with your German consulate and inform them about your dilemma. They might be able to help you and speed up the process for your application with the German authorities.

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/de/...ibehaltung.html

Ha, love to hear you say "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" quickly ten times in a roll. If and when you retire, SS will send your checks to you in all but 3-4 countries, may have to do that to be able to live on it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Well, the thing is that me and my wife plan to move to Europe in a few years, so losing my german passport would be a pretty bad move..... The question still is....do I endanger my permanent resident status by withdrawing from US Naturalization?

Thanks again! And yes, it would be interesting to go to the interview and just say "I'm not interested anymore", but I don't want to waste anybody's time.....I have to find out how to do it by phone or something.

Yes you would most definatly endanger your Permenant resident status. You are to maintain US residency while on PR status. Moving to another country to live like you are thinking would be viewed as abandonment of the Green Card.

Certain situations can maintain it (working for a US company over seas, US military over seas etc). Just moving and working for a non-US company in another country is a sure fire way of having your PR status revoked.

So you should really think hard of which one of the two countries you want to live in from now on, because since Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship, you will pretty much need to choose one or another. You won't be able to do both...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
So you should really think hard of which one of the two countries you want to live in from now on, because since Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship, you will pretty much need to choose one or another. You won't be able to do both...

Wrong - Germany does allow dual citizenship... read previous posts

Filed: Timeline

Thanks all!

I just completed Biometrics and don't have a date for my interview yet...but I was freaking out because I read that even "applying" would endanger my German citizenship. I will then try to get the BBG or at least postpone the whole process a bit to think it over.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Ha, love to hear you say "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" quickly ten times in a roll. If and when you retire, SS will send your checks to you in all but 3-4 countries, may have to do that to be able to live on it.

LOL Yep, Germans come up with some looooooong words. The word for matchbox is, get this, Streichholzschaechtelchen. :rofl:

Thanks all!

I just completed Biometrics and don't have a date for my interview yet...but I was freaking out because I read that even "applying" would endanger my German citizenship. I will then try to get the BBG or at least postpone the whole process a bit to think it over.

Yes, get in touch with the consulate ASAP. I heard the people at the consulate in New York are real nice and helpful. You still might be able to become a dual citizen. I keep my fingers crossed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.