peaches1313

Urgent help!!! n 400 Interview and tax marriage problem

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I fell under the is legally separated and has lived apart for his or her spouse for at least the last six months of the year when I switched from joint to head of household status in my first marriage. You added more detail, and while the definition of filing head of household may satisfy the IRS if legally applied for, certainly would not please the USCIS if you met that definition when applying for USC with the marriage privilege.

When my youngest daughter decided to quit college, get her own apartment and a job, had to change to the single status, but my son moved back in to help me out, was working, recently graduated from college, so certainly could not claim him as a dependent, so maintained the single status, which of course meant paying a higher rate of taxes.

When I met my new wife with a daughter, back to joint status, but strictly in terms of money, the little extra I was getting back certainly didn't even come close to compensating for the extra money I had to pay to support them. But the USCIS certainly loved those joint returns.

That is our tax system, like it or not. With a daughter as dependent was paying a $1.91 per day less in taxes, can you actually raise a kid for an extra $1.91 per day? School says it cost them $12,000.00 per year just to baby sit her for 7 hours per day, 180 days per year. That is only 14% of the time and that didn't cover clothes, food, healthcare, or entertainment.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU GOT IT, OUR SUBJECT IS NOT MAINLY IRS RIGHT NOW :innocent: I TOLD YOU BEFORE THE MOST IMPORTANT

THING FOR USCIS IS JOINT TAX RETURN. USCIS IS GONNA ASK

"HOW COME YOU GUYS HAVEN'T FILED TAX RETURN JOINTLY ?" DO NOT FORGET YOU ARE IN THE POSITION

OF PROVING YOUR RELATIONSHIP & TOGETHERNESS.

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Timeline
YOU GOT IT, OUR SUBJECT IS NOT MAINLY IRS RIGHT NOW :innocent: I TOLD YOU BEFORE THE MOST IMPORTANT

"HOW COME YOU GUYS HAVEN'T FILED TAX RETURN JOINTLY ?" DO NOT FORGET YOU ARE IN THE POSITION

I never found this board until about a year ago, hmmm, exactly a year with a panic on our I-751, met this wonderful woman, that we saw quite of bit of and decided to get married. Immigration was so complicated, elected to hire an immigration attorney, that was a bit more than just paying him money, he sent me a 25 page questionnaire I had to fill out. He also suggested I download the I-751 and N-400 forms and study those after my wife received her conditional green card. That was a big help in keeping a log and preknowledge of what the USCIS would need for evidence. But filing a joint return was best for us to receive the maximum amount of deductions.

I can see where there would be problems if you wait until the last minute to even look at these forms, you can't turn back the clock. Attorney after that first go around and everything I learned from that suggested I handle the I-751 and N-400 myself, unusual to find an attorney like that.

Hello NickD;

You are lucky, you have had a good lawyer. Actually, the word "Good" & "Lawyer" doesn't go together but

I guess yours is one of a kind. When there are GOOGLE & VJ, who needs lawyers?

Please give your Timeline next time, here is mine :

I-130 mailed 01/13/09

I-130 received by USCIS 01/16/09

NOA1 Mail for I-130 received 01/22/09

I-485 Package [485 & 765 only, I DID NOT APPLY for 131(AP)] mailed 02/17/09

I-485 Package received by USCIS 02/20/09

NOA1 Mail for I-485 received 02/26/09

NOA1 Mail for I-765 received 02/26/09

NOA2 e-mail for I-130 Approval 03/03/09 (47 Days) :thumbs:

NOA2 Hard Copy of I-130 Approval received 03/07/09

Mount Laurel, NJ

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Timeline
Hello NickD;

You are lucky, you have had a good lawyer. Actually, the word "Good" & "Lawyer" doesn't go together but

I guess yours is one of a kind. When there are GOOGLE & VJ, who needs lawyers?

Please give your Timeline next time, here is mine :

I-130 mailed 01/13/09

I-130 received by USCIS 01/16/09

NOA1 Mail for I-130 received 01/22/09

I-485 Package [485 & 765 only, I DID NOT APPLY for 131(AP)] mailed 02/17/09

I-485 Package received by USCIS 02/20/09

NOA1 Mail for I-485 received 02/26/09

NOA1 Mail for I-765 received 02/26/09

NOA2 e-mail for I-130 Approval 03/03/09 (47 Days) :thumbs:

NOA2 Hard Copy of I-130 Approval received 03/07/09

Mount Laurel, NJ

LOL, how about a condensed one.

I-130 was sent in October of 2004, wife received her conditional card June 27, 2005, wife received USC September 3, 2008 and US passport September 13, 2008. That was the day we figured we were finished. Her daughter turned 18 before my wife could apply for USC, so keeping a log on her now, including her tax returns. She can apply in June of 2010. USCIS lost her file is the reason why she didn't receive her green card that same day as her mom. But they did find it within 90 days of my wife's date, so could include her on wife's I-751.

We still on this topic....LOL. :wow:

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.