5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Austria
Timeline

Hello -

I used to read the postings on this forum throughout my AOS process and found them very helpful. So now, I would like to take the time to describe my AOS interview experience and hopefully, it will be of help to people awaiting their AOS interviews.

Our AOS interview was in February 2009 in the New York office. We entered the USCIS building 1 hour before our scheduled interview. The security line was very long and the whole process took us 30 minutes before we got to the interview room. There were around 12 couples waiting for their interviews. Many of them were interviewed separately. We got called by the ISO officer 20 minutes after our scheduled interview time. The first thing we were asked to do is to swear to tell the truth and only truth.

Questions asked to the Petitioner (US Citizen):

- How did you meet your wife?

- When and why did your wife come to the US?

- What are your wife parents' names?

- Where did you get married?

- What are your plans for the future?

- Who are the people on the picture (pointing at one of our wedding pictures)?

Questions asked to the Beneficiary:

- When was the last time you entered the US?

- Who attended the wedding ceremony?

- What did you do after the ceremony?

- What does your husband do?

- Who pays rent?

Documents requested:

- Beneficiary's passport

- Petitioner's Birth certificate

- Documents with both names - rent lease, rent receipts, joint bank account, utilities statements, phone bills

- Pictures - wedding

- EAD card (was returned back to me at the interview).

We were not interviewed separately. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes. At the end of the interview, the ISO officer wrote in my passport 'I485 Pending...' and informed us that the decision will arrive in mail within the next 60 days.

I received the Welcome Notice 17 days after our interview and my Green Card 23 days after our interview. Both documents were mailed from the USCIS National Benefits Ceneter (not our local office). I have had no online updates (Welcome Notice Sent or Card Production Ordered) on my I-485 case since the interview.

We are very very very happy that we got approved and we wish best of luck to all of you! :)

Edited by newyork.newyork

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations. Also, a good summary of your interview - I am sure it will be helpful to others.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

thanks for this..

i have my interview on thursday and im so worried. I know my marriage is legit but we dont have much in both our names due to living with parents still but we have lots of proof of us being together and letters sent to the house in both our names and a joint bank account.

im hoping that it will be enough.

im so scared. i know how tough some of the interviewrs can be.

01/05/08 Married in California

04/01/08 Filed immigration paperwork as advised by our Immigration attorney

01/08/08 Honeymoon in England

06/04/08 Returned to USA from honeymoon (nice long honeymoon)

07/01/08 Find out immigration attorney had told us to file wrong paperwork. So we call USCIS and they advise what paperwork we need to file.

08/26/08 AOS paperwork sent to USCIS (I-485, I-864, I-765) $1010

AOS paperwork submitted to wrong address....so resumbitted to correct address....(thanks uscis customer service line...NOT)

09/09/08 AOS paperwork resubmitted to correct address

09/15/08 Notice that I-485, I-765 received by USCIS on 9/11/08

09/17/08 Letter received giving date of Biometrics appointment

10/01/08 Biometrics done

10/10/08 Case on hold. USCIS requested I-693 (medical exam & Vaccination report)

12/30/08 I-693 sent to USCIS

02/02/09 received letter from USCIS to attend initial interview

03/05/09 initial interview at Sacramento Office

21/21/10 filed for removal of conditions

1/10/11 received letter for biometric appointment

2/10/11 biometric appointment

04/01/11 rceived letter asking for additional information of joint assets and or proof we are a legit couple.

05/02/11 received letter to say they will notify us of date of interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Austria
Timeline
thanks for this..

i have my interview on thursday and im so worried. I know my marriage is legit but we dont have much in both our names due to living with parents still but we have lots of proof of us being together and letters sent to the house in both our names and a joint bank account.

im hoping that it will be enough.

im so scared. i know how tough some of the interviewrs can be.

In case you haven't done so yet, collect some receipts to bring to your interview (for example, proving purchase of Christmas/Birthday gifts for each other).

If you prepared the folder with all the evidence by yourself, I would suggest you to show it to your husband. My husband was asked to get his Birth Certificate from the folder by himself. You just don't want to show the ISO officer that your husband has not seen the folder before and has no idea where his documents are.

Good luck! I am sure you will do great and don't be worried if you don't get approved at the interview. My experience proves that this is not an indication of anything bad... :)

• 6 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello -

I used to read the postings on this forum throughout my AOS process and found them very helpful. So now, I would like to take the time to describe my AOS interview experience and hopefully, it will be of help to people awaiting their AOS interviews.

Our AOS interview was in February 2009 in the New York office. We entered the USCIS building 1 hour before our scheduled interview. The security line was very long and the whole process took us 30 minutes before we got to the interview room. There were around 12 couples waiting for their interviews. Many of them were interviewed separately. We got called by the ISO officer 20 minutes after our scheduled interview time. The first thing we were asked to do is to swear to tell the truth and only truth.

Questions asked to the Petitioner (US Citizen):

- How did you meet your wife?

- When and why did your wife come to the US?

- What are your wife parents' names?

- Where did you get married?

- Who are the people on the picture (pointing at one of our wedding pictures)?

Questions asked to the Beneficiary:

- When was the last time you entered the US?

- Who attended the wedding ceremony?

- What did you do after the ceremony?

- What does your husband do?

- Who pays rent?

Documents requested:

- Beneficiary's passport

- Petitioner's Birth certificate

- Documents with both names - rent lease, rent receipts, joint bank account, utilities statements, phone bills

- Pictures - wedding

- EAD card (was returned back to me at the interview).

We were not interviewed separately. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes. At the end of the interview, the ISO officer wrote in my passport 'I485 Pending...' and informed us that the decision will arrive in mail within the next 60 days.

I received the Welcome Notice 17 days after our interview and my Green Card 23 days after our interview. Both documents were mailed from the USCIS National Benefits Ceneter (not our local office). I have had no online updates (Welcome Notice Sent or Card Production Ordered) on my I-485 case since the interview.

We are very very very happy that we got approved and we wish best of luck to all of you! :)

thanks, your experience is of great help for us. i was scheduled on the 22nd of October 2009 for my AOS interview and felling nervous about it and we don't have much pictures during our wedding coz we just decided to stop by at the district court, with only my stepson (husband's son) with us during that day. but i entrusted everything to God.

again thanks for sharing. . .

klik :thumbs: 2 :thumbs: chat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.