Cassie

Procrastinating........

56 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmmm. The simplified application states the previous passport must have been issued in Canada. Does that mean if I get my new passport via mail sent from the US that I will not be eligible for simplified next time?

Well, whether you're in the US or not, I mean applying, it's still going to be "issued" in Canada. I have no idea what the heck that statement means. Don't they HAVE to be issued in Canada? Maybe there are differences if you got one for emergency purposes from a Consulate in another country is the only other place I'd think you could get one "issued".

I would think that the next time you could do it simplified as well.

I wasn't sure if that meant you had to have been physically present in Canada. That statement kinda confused me.

But looks like I am good to go- this application and any ones I need in the future.

ARe they really going to change it to 10 years? That would be great. I remember when Mel went to get his passport before we went to Canada- he went down to the office, came home a few hours later- WITH PASSPORT. I was amazed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't wait until Canada does the 10 year passport like the US does.... It's so silly how you have to renew it every 5 years and used to have to get a guarantor each time and send your original BC each time.... obviously my BC didn't change from 5 years ago!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I can't wait until Canada does the 10 year passport like the US does.... It's so silly how you have to renew it every 5 years and used to have to get a guarantor each time and send your original BC each time.... obviously my BC didn't change from 5 years ago!

I always use the term "renew my passport" too. People give me sh!t about it because technically you are not renewing it- it is a whole new application.

Some people's children :P

Filed: Timeline

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Cassie. (F) If you need to visit her while you're waiting for your passport you'll be fine crossing into Canada without it by land..... just bring your Canadian citizenship doc. You'll only need the passport when coming back to the US after this coming June..... but they only ever want to see your greencard anyway. I have no idea where "home" is so pay no attention to what I just said if you have to fly, though. Unless you can fly to a US border and drive across.

Anywhoo..... here's a site where a number of fellow VJ'ers have created their own passport photos for free. Haven't heard anything negative about it as yet so maybe someone who has can comment.

Free Passport Photos

I'll be back in Canada in May so I'm going to go ahead and renew in person. I would like to keep my Canadian passport in my former name, though. I hope that won't cause a problem because all my US ID is in my married name. Sheesh. Who would've thought being married and living in another country would have been such a hassle? :angry:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Does anyone know that if I renew my passport, and have them mail my new one to here in the US, if the application has to be mailed from the US? Or when my Mum comes to visit next month can I give it to her and she can mail it from TO?

I think it gets sent to different offices depending where you live right?

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Does anyone know that if I renew my passport, and have them mail my new one to here in the US, if the application has to be mailed from the US? Or when my Mum comes to visit next month can I give it to her and she can mail it from TO?

I think it gets sent to different offices depending where you live right?

Reba, I filled out the 153 form (for adults, changing my last name). This is what it said about mailing:

Applying by Mail

Mailed-in applications are processed in Canada.

BY MAIL

Passport Canada Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada Gatineau QC K1A 0G3 CANADA

BY COURIER

Passport Canada 22 de Varennes Building 22 de Varennes Street Gatineau QC J8T 8R1 CANADA

DO NOT mail or bring your application to a Canadian government office in the USA. However, passport applications and related forms are available from these offices.

it doesn't make any differentiation about where you mail it from as far as I could tell, just about what method you use to mail it. So I took it to mean that it doesn't matter if it comes from the US or Canada. So my parents are gonna take care of it for me in Canada. :)

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Cassie. (F) If you need to visit her while you're waiting for your passport you'll be fine crossing into Canada without it by land..... just bring your Canadian citizenship doc. You'll only need the passport when coming back to the US after this coming June..... but they only ever want to see your greencard anyway. I have no idea where "home" is so pay no attention to what I just said if you have to fly, though. Unless you can fly to a US border and drive across.

If push comes to shove, I'll fly to Maine and drive to NS. Driving for a week or so to get home is not my ideas of a good time. ;) But she seems to be getting better each day, so I am hopeful I won't have to make a trip any time soon. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
I did indeed Cassie. I hope it's not rejected though! I went to a local photographer/camera dealer to get my passport pictures and they had an ajustment on their picture processor for Canada style passport pictures, so I think I'm okay there, but then I took my whole package to send to my gf in Canada, so that she could be the guarantor, and mail the whole thing to Ottawa...(why did you say Quebec???), however I realized after I sent my package out, that I didn't cut and seperate the pictures I sent. They had the two pictures side by side, and I didn't cut them! They also didn't have a friggin stamp for the back, so they hand wrote it in, their place of business and the date the picture was taken. *sigh* Again, hopefully they'll accept what I sent and not send it back.

I feel utterly NAKED without my passport. I can only hope it doesn't take very long at all and I have it in my hot little hands soon.

haha I just realized you said hot little hands as well! :lol:

So, I sent mine to my gf on...Thursday. Let's keep each other informed as to who gets theirs when.

'Cause it says to mail it to Gatineau (basically Ottawa! :) )

I hear you about feeling naked without the passport -- me too! I need my little piece of Canada here with me! I will definitely let you all know when I get it back.

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i started warning my husband he needed to renew his 2 months in advance but being the procrastinator that he is he waited until it was expired a month and half then finally sent it in. they have had it for a month already. they called him and left a message on his cell phone about needing more money so he called them back and left a message asking how much do they need...they didnt call him back. so i told him today u know its been a month since we sent that. so he called to find out where it was and then said he needs to send some money for tax and he said how much and they asked for his wages for the years 2004 and 2005 in which he wasnt employed yet and now he has to prove. so now we wait even longer for it.

i started warning my husband he needed to renew his 2 months in advance but being the procrastinator that he is he waited until it was expired a month and half then finally sent it in. they have had it for a month already. they called him and left a message on his cell phone about needing more money so he called them back and left a message asking how much do they need...they didnt call him back. so i told him today u know its been a month since we sent that. so he called to find out where it was and then said he needs to send some money for tax and he said how much and they asked for his wages for the years 2004 and 2005 in which he wasnt employed yet and now he has to prove. so now we wait even longer for it.

So they're not going to send his passport until he's submitted previous tax returns? Because he owes money? Sorry...I'm not understanding. The reason I say this is because this is my first year not having to file a Canadian tax returnn and I surely don't want it held up because I didn't fill out a tax return!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is your Husband Canadian?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Is your Husband Canadian?

Hmm, I didn't think about that! Hopefully Donna A returns!

carlahmsb4.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Just wanted to add an update to this thread: DHL attempted to deliver my passport today -- will have to go and pick it up tomorrow and see if there are any mistakes! hehe So it took about as long as they said it would -- about 3 weeks or so and the website is saying a month, so not bad at all.

Edited by Cassie

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think I can use the simple form because of this...

Must have been issued within the last six years

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx

mine was issued November 2002....

yeah my passport is expired.. I have been procrastinating on getting anew one :blush: if I had gotten my act together and applied for a new one last year I could have used the simple form :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.