Shari

GUYS: Taking a temporary/low paying job while waiting on permanent one . . .

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got my jobs by showing up to the places I wanted to work and talking to people. That worked very well for the first one, then after that little job I got a great reference and got my confidence up to go for the job I have now which is OUTSTANDING. The opportunities here are amazing. I would never have gotten it though if i just relied on the internet and sending out resumes without cover letters.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, Shari & Keith:

We received EAD around the same time, and now I found out that we had been going through a stressful job search! I've been a non-traditional (i.e, not so young), self-supporting doctoral student since 1999. I'd assumed that obtaining EAD would immediately improve my finance because it would enable me to seek more and better job opportunities not only on campus but also off campus. And my assumption was wrong. As soon as I submitted my EAD application last October, I began advertising myself to my friends, my hubby's family, and their friends that I was going to receive EAD and searching a part-time job in community, submitting my resume to all the online staffing agencies that dealt with Japanese companies, taking all the trials for translation/interpretation agencies that I could find, searching job ads in community newspapers/online sites, in addition to searching job openings on campus as usual. When I finally received EAD in mid-January, I thought that all my efforts would make a fruit, especially if all I wanted was a part-time job. And again my assumption was wrong. By mid-February I was pretty stressed out and depressed. One staffing agency offered me a temp full-time job, which I couldn't take because of my school obligations. I began wondering if I just should quit school and give up earning a degree! At the end of February I was feeling rather desperate and was about to go to a nearby grocery store I often shop and ask for a job. Then one night I was having a dinner with my friends/professionals in my field, and they told me that they were looking for a self-employed secretary for their office! I took the opportunity, and now I'm happily working in a friendly environment, though the pay is not so good (the kind of wage that high school students can earn) and I have to learn how to manage tax for self-employment. My hubby and I are relieved that this at least pays grocery for two, gas for my car, my insurances, and my study-related expenses.

I know my situations and conditions are different from Keith's, but I'm wondering if he has thought about the possibilities of getting self-employed by using his past job experiences and skills. Also, my best friend reminded me that finding/getting a right job is like meeting potentially good friends. After making all the efforts you could make, sometimes all you can do is to wait for the opportunities to come to you, and they will.

Wish you the best and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Buddhist_virgo (F1 student from Japan) & Bonsai_lover (Kentuckian)

---Our Wedding & AOS Timeline ---

9/9/05 Got our marriage license.

10/1/05 Our wedding :)

10/4/05 Mailed out our signed marriage license.

10/5/05 Completed medical exam & MMR/DPT boosters in Louisville for $220.

Hubby called IRS to request tax transcripts.

10/6/05 Received our marriage certificate.

10/7/05 Had TB skin test read and received the results and its copy for my info.

Hubby got his employment letter.

10/10/05 Bought a $10 passport photo making software to do it ourselves.

10/11/05 Received tax transcripts from IRS.

10/18/05 Hubby got I-864 notarized.

Got my birth certificate translation certified by a prof at my school.

10/20/05 Shipped my I-130/AOS/EAD application packet to Chicago by certified mail with delivery confirmation!

10/23/05 My packet delivered to the lockbox.

10/24/05 Delivery confirmation signed.

11/4/04 Received NOA1 for all applications!

(Received Date: 10/23/05; Notice Date: 10/31/05; Touched: 11/3/05; Checks Cashed: 11/04/04)

11/8/05, 11/9/05, 11/15/05 I-130 and EAD touched again.

12/27/05 EAD touched again.

12/31/05 Got a bio/fp appointment for AOS and EAD.

1/11/06 Had my bio/fp taken in Cincinnati.

1/11/06 AOS touched. Moving forward again. No touch on I-130, though....Weird.

1/12/06 Received EAD approval by email!

1/14/06 Received EAD in mail!!

3/7/06 Interview scheduled on 5/10/06 in Louisville.

5/10/06 AOS approved! (GC received on 5/18)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

The job situation doesn't look good for many of us, does it?

I have applied for more jobs during the last two months that I had ever applied in lifetime.... Since I have general office experience I apply to 2-3 places a day (only those who advertise openings).... and nothing..... I have gone on two interviews. I got one temp job that is about to end.

I am currently working at the hospital that has several openings I applied to. Nobody ever called me and the jobs are not getting filled. I don't understand it... I have good references and all the necessary skills.

I already told my husband I am getting ready to go back. We can't make ends meet on his income.

Now I am waiting for the school year to end and wondering if he will follow me there...

All the best to you guys

Ana

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.