Shari

GUYS: Taking a temporary/low paying job while waiting on permanent one . . .

63 posts in this topic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

That's nice to have. I'm paid weekly, so I'm out nearly $300 with all the same ####### to pay. In all fairness, February itself is tight, but the beginning of March is incredibly harsh because most of my outgoings are due at the start of the month.

But we'll all make it through, right? Because we do what we have to.

Shari, how are things going now?

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Yes, where are you Shari......

I only feel good here.... too bad we are not all in the same place so we could meet in person with guys from here...

I got a temp job.... for one day.... :unsure: ... had to sit still for 8 hours and answer the phone that rang approximately every 15 minutes. ... it was awful.....

I am so depressed I am not sure if I can last months here looking for a job with no answer from any place...

Thank God I can always come here....

Ana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:goofy: Here I am! Sorry - I've been out of pocket lately as my daughter's school softball started and we are at the ball fields all the time (but LOVE it).

Anyhow, Keith has not been offered anything yet. He had three calls yesterday within an hour of each other but two were recruiting companies telling him he was over-qualified for specific jobs he put in for. The last was a guy from Tallahassee, Florida wanting someone to help him to install security systems (don't know where he got his name from). He had one call today from a recruiting company in Georgia about maintenance for apartments - again not sure how they got his name as he put down "Engineering" and "Supervisory Experience". He said today he saw a job on line for EXACTLY what he did in England (engineering supervisor working at a shipyard). Its in the Bahamas. Cool!!! Would be nice, but now I have to come down to earth. :D

Fortunately we are getting back a tax refund in the next two weeks (I love E-filing) which we were very surprised about, so that should temporarily help keep us afloat. :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I work for myself (and have done so in many countries). I need to find new work every few weeks. It is the same everywhere. Here are some of the things to remember:

o Internet job sites are a waste of time. You might get lucky, but don't hold your breath.

o Most professional jobs end up going to people with great references. Great references are the ones where you know people who already work there.

o The best way to keep your career going is to FIND SOME OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING IT NOW. LOCALLY. Go out - have some beers with them. Keep in touch. Be one of their friends. If you are in IT, go to every user group meeting that is even remotely related to what you do. Since you have a lot of free time, prepare some presentations to wow the socks off of people there.

I gets calls (not every day, but at least every week) for great jobs. (mostly contracts, but of the $100/hr + variety). Obviously, I'm not taking all of them. People I've worked with and I trust end up with them more often than not.

You hear that networking is the key from everyone, right? Here's what that means.

The best way to handle the job sites (Monster, etc...)

o Figure out who is posting leads the most often for the type of job you want (contracts are your best bet). Call them. Every week. Be friendly, see what they need, etc. Hopefully (if you are in a big city), you will find a headhunter local to you.

o REMEMBER, these are sales people. They only make money when you are working (they don't care what or how). Meet them for drinks some time. Make sure that they call you first - before they post anything on Monster or whatever.

o Be on their short-list. When they think they have business they might close, you want them giving you advance notice about it. They will do this because they are greedy. They want their customers to get people immediately (this makes them more money, and is less work for them).

I hope this helps someone. I've been doing this for quite a while now, and it has worked well for me.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, it's probably more of an ego-buster for guys, especially the more mature ones like Keith and my husband.

But how easy is it for a USC to find a job these days? Not easy. Doable, but not easy.

Mark (luv2teach) talks a lot about networking, and I think that's the key. USC or immigrant. I am not a 'computer person' but I have tried hard to tap all my 'tekkie' friends and acquantainces for sources for Wes. And I am not one bit shy about it - I'm polite but I make no bones about how we need the help. And most people are glad to give it.

What Wes might have to end up doing in the interim I have no idea. He has told me he will work in WalMart if he has too. As far as I am concerned, that makes me just as proud of him as if he landed a big job.

I can relate so much to how Wes feels. :yes: I have not got my EAD yet but I already feel sad with my job situation and we live in a real small town. I can't imagine finding anything in my field in this area. I even started asking around 18 months ago when I first visited. I'm a PhD Biochemist with 10 years experience working in government DNA research - we asked at the University here too but they say it is unlikely anything will come up :( Once I get my EAD, I'll work in WalMart or Pizza Hut if I have to - it will be a terrible self confidence buster ( :blush: ) but at least I can help pay the bills! :unsure:

The long wait (layoff in 2001, then due to recession very few jobs available in 2002 and 2003 to apply for) was quite nasty for me. At one point, I actually sent Pras a "set free" letter (which she rejected).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

This is what I try to tell my husband - I am the USC:

I DON'T CARE if you get a super job right out of the gate - I have lived here all my life and had to start at the bottom when I first went into the work world. I'm a realist. The good money will come later.

I DON'T CARE if you don't get a job in your field - that doesn't say to me that you aren't qualified. That's the way it is America in this economy right now.

I DO CARE that you are hurting. I DO CARE that you are humiliated. I DO CARE that you find something to do each day that makes you happy and does more than pay the bills.

As the USC spouse, it speaks to me that you are worried about us financially. It speaks to me that you have the courage to start over. And I know it will speak to others. That what you really want will come to you, but it will take time.

And most of all, that I love you - and am so proud of you for finding it in you to begin again. And that I will help you through this - by help I don't mean financially. I will help you get to the happiness - whatever it takes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

back home i was in law enforcement for over 10 years...i have applied for a half dozen or more security jobs in my area and haven't heard a thing from any of them.

go figure.

matt

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one and they all stink!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Some update of temp job.

I got one after a month and a half search :D:D:D

The position I am at (administrative assistant at the hospital) is also available as a permanent position and of course I am applying. I will keep you posted how it goes. But for temp it should last about a month at least.

This is one of the most desirable place of employment in this town, so we will see :P

Take care

Ana

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I work for myself (and have done so in many countries). I need to find new work every few weeks. It is the same everywhere. Here are some of the things to remember:

o Internet job sites are a waste of time. You might get lucky, but don't hold your breath.

o Most professional jobs end up going to people with great references. Great references are the ones where you know people who already work there.

o The best way to keep your career going is to FIND SOME OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING IT NOW. LOCALLY. Go out - have some beers with them. Keep in touch. Be one of their friends. If you are in IT, go to every user group meeting that is even remotely related to what you do. Since you have a lot of free time, prepare some presentations to wow the socks off of people there.

I gets calls (not every day, but at least every week) for great jobs. (mostly contracts, but of the $100/hr + variety). Obviously, I'm not taking all of them. People I've worked with and I trust end up with them more often than not.

You hear that networking is the key from everyone, right? Here's what that means.

The best way to handle the job sites (Monster, etc...)

o Figure out who is posting leads the most often for the type of job you want (contracts are your best bet). Call them. Every week. Be friendly, see what they need, etc. Hopefully (if you are in a big city), you will find a headhunter local to you.

o REMEMBER, these are sales people. They only make money when you are working (they don't care what or how). Meet them for drinks some time. Make sure that they call you first - before they post anything on Monster or whatever.

o Be on their short-list. When they think they have business they might close, you want them giving you advance notice about it. They will do this because they are greedy. They want their customers to get people immediately (this makes them more money, and is less work for them).

I hope this helps someone. I've been doing this for quite a while now, and it has worked well for me.

I've not contracted (had full-time, long term jobs), but that's pretty much how it works in the US. Tough to break in, but when you are on the inside, things get a lot easier.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

I'd also like to add another unexpected plus for the working at Walmart (or any other bog superstore) temporary option.

In the UK I worked in small firms, brilliant jobs but small firms, the plus of working at working which I pointed out to hubby the other day is that I have met sooooooo many people both staff and customers. This has meant I have been able to make friends and you never know some contact may lead to something else/better. I realise that if I had gone into a closed office environment these "perks" wouldnt have been available as I'd probably be stuck at my own desk on my own for large chunks of the day.

Take anything that is going, it does wonders for self esteem and make the most of it. Getting one job doesnt stop you looking for the next :D

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

After reading most of the posts on adjustment here in the U.S. , I say hats off to those who were wise to anticipate the difficulties in getting jobs or at least ones that could help out. I made a huge mistake when my (husband) then fiance arrived here. I was fully aware of what it takes to live in the US, but I let my emotions get the best of me and spent money on whatever he needed or wanted.

When I realized that I couldn't keep up with that pace, I told him but by then it was too late. His answer was.. it is ok, I'll get a job and help out. Things will be fine I can work and help out. Very positive and supportive. Well, I started using credit cards, knowing better, with that idea in mind. Now we live hand to mouth and most months I borrow from my family to make ends meet. The lesson I learned too late and didn't read about is that coming from another country can take months or years (depending on the qualifications) to really get settled in and it was financial folley for to not plan based on my salary alone. ( I was an immigrant myself 20+ years ago, but straight out of Grad school) I have two children who have cut down on their classes at school just to help mom pay her bills. Talk about the stress on the entire family. My prayer is that I am able somehow to readjust our living situation in order to get a handle on the increased expenses and debt I incurred. Sooo... I've learned a tough lesson.

panamachic

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

I did temp labor for 4 1/2 months... waste disposal, demo jobs, digging ditches, delivery helper (16 hour days sometimes) etc... sometimes hard and dirty work and not well paid... but the manager of the temp agency gave me excellent references when I applied for my job at the bloodbank... so you see it can pay off :yes:

Edited by Silvanski

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.