Qais

Time Limit?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hello

I'm not sure if I have dilema or not. Here is the question, is there a time limit that my spouse needs to leave her original home country to enter the U.S. on the CR-1 visa after she hopefully gets approved and passes the interview whenever that happens?

The reason I'm asking is she will graduate from her college in December 2009, and if the timelines are generally accurate, I'm hoping that her interview date might come some time this summer. While I would like her to come as soon as she can, were she to get all paperwork done in the summer. I understand how important her getting her college degree is. So my concern is what if she gets approved and passes the interview and all that stuff sometime in the summer, is there a time limit that the CR-1 or K3 for that matter expires? I've heard somewhere that she has to arrive in the U.S. within 6 months after interview date, I also heard 9 months. I haven't read anything myself, and can't find any info on this. Does anyone have any information about when one has to leave or arrive in the U.S.?

I realize that most would jump on the first plane to reunite with their spouses as soon as they can. I'm planning on actually going over there, and being with her doing her last semester of studies and attend her graduation and then, hopefully come back together.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've updated my timeline to aid VJ users, please update yours if you haven't :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

CR-1 tends to have a 6 month validity, K-3 has a 1 or 2 year validity depending on country.

You can always get visa interview rescheduled for a later date, most consulates have no problems OR you can simply delay sending the I-864 and/or DS-230 package to NVC if you are strictly doing a CR-1 visa.

I would recommend following the CR-1 visa path, it gives you the opportunity to delay things, costs much less than a K-3, and has the big benefit of getting a green-card upon entry to the USA.

K-3 was developed at a time when USCIS NVC and Consulate were taking long to process I-130, this is not the case anymore.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
CR-1 tends to have a 6 month validity, K-3 has a 1 or 2 year validity depending on country.

You can always get visa interview rescheduled for a later date, most consulates have no problems OR you can simply delay sending the I-864 and/or DS-230 package to NVC if you are strictly doing a CR-1 visa.

I would recommend following the CR-1 visa path, it gives you the opportunity to delay things, costs much less than a K-3, and has the big benefit of getting a green-card upon entry to the USA.

K-3 was developed at a time when USCIS NVC and Consulate were taking long to process I-130, this is not the case anymore.

I think 6 months for an LPR. That's what it was when I got mine in 2003.

USCIS

01/05/09 - Mailed I-130

NVC

03/13/09 - Case # assigned

04/15/09 - Case Complete

[/color]

Ciudad Juarez

06/02/09 - Visa Interview - canceled

09/17/09 - Visa Interview - denied

11/19/09 - Waiver Interview -approved next day

11/24/09 - Green Card and entered US

USCIS

09/21/11 - Mailed I-751

09/26/11 - I-751 delivered to CSC

09/27/11 - NOA1 date

Timeline

Thanks, and I did find it written in one of those short cuts that it is 6 months. I guess, if I had to I can delay on submitting the last couple of things, plus reschedule the interview, if it comes down to it.

I've updated my timeline to aid VJ users, please update yours if you haven't :-)

Timeline
You can also request an extension of the 6 month timeline.

How can I request an extension for the 6 month period? Is at after the interview process?

the best suggestion would be to just delay sending the AOS and IV package to 3-4 months before your wife is to graduate. that way it will finish at NVC and you will have the interview about 1-2 months before she graduates.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

Timeline
the best suggestion would be to just delay sending the AOS and IV package to 3-4 months before your wife is to graduate. that way it will finish at NVC and you will have the interview about 1-2 months before she graduates.

Thanks MMW, I've already gotten the invoice bill for the AOS and the DS3220 or whatever form it was. So, I'm kind of taking my time with that, probably wait a week before I pay it, and then just delay sending the AOS and IV package, which I believe is the last thing before it finishes from NVC. I'll see how I can do this. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.