Tanya and Barry

Single Mother With Child From Ukraine

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
There is the provision that she provide a letter of permission (impossible in this case) OR a court order of sole custody, OR a certificate of death of the father. So who is to say the CO could not demand a court order.

My wife, a Ukrainian citizen, also has "no father" on her birth certificate and also has a copy of a court order her mother obtained granting her sole custody of her own daughter. Now things have changed a bit in Ukraine since Alla was a child, but her mother needed this to even enroll her school as a child. The OP was absolutely not wrong to check on this. My wife came to me with two children and the OP has another problem not related to the consulate.

When she leaves Ukraine, those guys at passport control are going to demand that same letter, I hope they know this same rule. I do not trust Ukrainian passport control people to apply common sense. Do you?

We are now in the process, rather complicated thus far, of getting confirmation that Alla's son will be able to leave Ukraine when we visit this year, even though he now has a US green card. The "permanent" emigration permission he has from last year may not be accepted for leaving Ukraine now! Now common sense would tell you a letter granting permission to relocate to the USA "permanently" would be enough. Yes? I thought so too. But we are having a difficult time determining if we will need another letter granting him permission AGAIN.

First of all, the OP was asking in context of then Embassy..... You have now expanded the scope beyond the original question...

FYI, simply being a greencard holder does mean you do not need to present the "letter"... we needed it last summer

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
There is the provision that she provide a letter of permission (impossible in this case) OR a court order of sole custody, OR a certificate of death of the father. So who is to say the CO could not demand a court order.

My wife, a Ukrainian citizen, also has "no father" on her birth certificate and also has a copy of a court order her mother obtained granting her sole custody of her own daughter. Now things have changed a bit in Ukraine since Alla was a child, but her mother needed this to even enroll her school as a child. The OP was absolutely not wrong to check on this. My wife came to me with two children and the OP has another problem not related to the consulate.

When she leaves Ukraine, those guys at passport control are going to demand that same letter, I hope they know this same rule. I do not trust Ukrainian passport control people to apply common sense. Do you?

We are now in the process, rather complicated thus far, of getting confirmation that Alla's son will be able to leave Ukraine when we visit this year, even though he now has a US green card. The "permanent" emigration permission he has from last year may not be accepted for leaving Ukraine now! Now common sense would tell you a letter granting permission to relocate to the USA "permanently" would be enough. Yes? I thought so too. But we are having a difficult time determining if we will need another letter granting him permission AGAIN.

First of all, the OP was asking in context of then Embassy..... You have now expanded the scope beyond the original question...

FYI, simply being a greencard holder does mean you do not need to present the "letter"... we needed it last summer

Well, glory be! Pay, can you advise? We have a letter allowing permanent relocation to the USA. The letter is from last January ('08). Do we need a new one or is this one sufficient. I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone in Ukraine (big surprise). Did you use your original letter or have a new one?

And yes, I undertand I expounded. Hell I run off the track all the time. My point was, there was no harm in an email to find out and I do not think it was a stupid question.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

still the original letter though there has been rumbling that another one is in the offering and somehow will be needed in the near future

YMMV

Timeline
still the original letter though there has been rumbling that another one is in the offering and somehow will be needed in the near future

I presume you mean a "rumbling" in the government that a change in the law may be coming at some point. And from your knowledge, as of now, a "permanent" letter is still acceptable? Correct?

I guess we will have to watch this carefully.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I presume you mean a "rumbling" in the government that a change in the law may be coming at some point. And from your knowledge, as of now, a "permanent" letter is still acceptable? Correct?

no, sorry the "rumbling" is from my wife.... seems to think a permanent letter is only good for a couple years.... if I remember correctly, the only place that questioned the letter was the airline.... passport control asked for it, looked at it, and said nothing....

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

no, sorry the "rumbling" is from my wife.... seems to think a permanent letter is only good for a couple years.... if I remember correctly, the only place that questioned the letter was the airline.... passport control asked for it, looked at it, and said nothing....

Ah, Ok. Well that is good then, I think. My wife grumbles also but about different stuff. Yes we heard different hings from the airline (Aerosvit) but when told it was a letter that allowed a "permanent" relocation, they became dumbfounded and couldn't answer. The consulate has told me we should be OK, but also said it is not their call but had never heard of a problem.

Our letter will be 18 months old when we present it to leave Ukraine in July. It was 8 months old when she left the first time and had been told (by airlines, notaries and everyone else that is "supposed" to know) that it had to be within 90 days, obviously not, it was looked at and no one questioned it then.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ah, Ok. Well that is good then, I think. My wife grumbles also but about different stuff. Yes we heard different hings from the airline (Aerosvit) but when told it was a letter that allowed a "permanent" relocation, they became dumbfounded and couldn't answer. The consulate has told me we should be OK, but also said it is not their call but had never heard of a problem.

Our letter will be 18 months old when we present it to leave Ukraine in July. It was 8 months old when she left the first time and had been told (by airlines, notaries and everyone else that is "supposed" to know) that it had to be within 90 days, obviously not, it was looked at and no one questioned it then.

FWIW, our letter is dated October 2006..... We used it in July 2008.....

YMMV

Timeline

FWIW, our letter is dated October 2006..... We used it in July 2008.....

Sounds good. By the time our letter is 2 years old, the child will be 16 years old and scissors cuts paper! :)

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The embassy wants a document showing sole custody of our child. When the birth was registered, the mother was alone and made up the name of the father (Ukrainian family law act 135) and used her family name as his last name) She has a document to this effect fron Central Registration. I am not sure this document is enough because the embassy asks for a court order. All the lawyers we asked about this tell us this is not done in Ukraine. This has been going on for months. In addition the wife has a document that shows she recieves a small amount of money evey month as a single mother. Am I worried about nothing?

Sh has made this name for the father because I am told in Ukraine the fathers name cannot be blank, even if it is ficticious.

Thanks much to everyone

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline
Common sense would indicate the answer could not be anything else... Since the father is not "legally" established, whom would you get "clearance" from?

Picture this at the interview..

CO: I see no father is listed on the birth certificate, who is the father of your child?

Applicant: I do not know.

CO: Then please get a clearance letter from him....

Just covering my bases. Sometimes the immigration process is not dictated by common sense. In my first post in the thread I indicated that she does know who the father is but he abandoned them before the child was born and before they were married. Having to get permission from the father in Germany would have been extremely difficult if not impossible.

Understood, but the problem being there is no established legal paternal relationship documented anywhere.... She could indicate Santa Claus if she wanted to...

So when we go through passport control will a copy of the birth certificate showing the section for father as blank be sufficient?

Edited by bjstults

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline
So when we go through passport control will a copy of the birth certificate showing the section for father as blank be sufficient?

One would think....

YMMV

Timeline

One would think....

If you see a question of mine in the future please don't answer. Your flippant responses just aren't helpful.

Thanks,

B.

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

One would think....

If you see a question of mine in the future please don't answer. Your flippant responses just aren't helpful.

Thanks,

B.

excuse me? flippant.... by far not.... the answer is as it stands... maybe you need to grow some skin... or did you want me to say.. "I would sure hope so..... maybe it would be best if you called the Ukrainian authorities at the Kiev airport since they are the ones whose opinion matters... "

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.