GiGii

English for Russian ...men

34 posts in this topic

Ammar refuses to eat at restaurants. He doesn't trust the cleanliness of others, so it's sort of like I have to pry him to get him to go somewhere.

Stuff like this kills me. There are completely disgusting food-related customs in every culture. Disgusting for you, normal for me. Or, vice versa. However, if the people in that area do it like that, and it's customary, it's obviously worked for them for a long time. You can do it too.

Pot-luck isn't the cleanest of eating styles, but then again, I'd venture to say most of those at a pot-luck wouldn't scoop up rice and lamb and make a little ball in their hand to eat sans flatware. But, that happens in Jordan, right?

It happens here too. My wife gets on me all the time for touching stuff with my "dirty hands" or not using the right cutting board or something. Then, she'll leave the milk out (with the cap off) for several hours or wrap meat from the store in the plastic bag we carried it home in. I really don't care though (because I didn't get this nice figure by worrying about what I was eating) but when she pulls the "foooo" (Russian for "that's nasty") card, I have to remind her - when in Rome...

So, you all are likers of pie (or so I read). Question: if you were feeling really crappy, would you prefer pie or cinnamon rolls, cake, some kind of combination, or all of the above?

And don't forget about the guns; we like those too! When I'm feeling crappy, I prefer chocolate. I'm a certified chocoholic. So, something like a chocolate silk pie is always good for me. Most foreigners that I've met don't like our supersweet stuff and chocolate anything is usually over the top. Stick to fruit and you should be golden. How about dates or figs? Kind of a Middle Eastern flair there, he'd probably like that quite a bit.

Or, if it's going to be pie, I prefer the kind suggested below. Usually does the job to cheer me up!

I suggest hair pie; no way that won't put a smile on his face.

Works every time!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Stuff like this kills me. There are completely disgusting food-related customs in every culture. Disgusting for you, normal for me. Or, vice versa. However, if the people in that area do it like that, and it's customary, it's obviously worked for them for a long time. You can do it too.

Pot-luck isn't the cleanest of eating styles, but then again, I'd venture to say most of those at a pot-luck wouldn't scoop up rice and lamb and make a little ball in their hand to eat sans flatware. But, that happens in Jordan, right?

And don't forget about the guns; we like those too! When I'm feeling crappy, I prefer chocolate. I'm a certified chocoholic. So, something like a chocolate silk pie is always good for me. Most foreigners that I've met don't like our supersweet stuff and chocolate anything is usually over the top. Stick to fruit and you should be golden. How about dates or figs? Kind of a Middle Eastern flair there, he'd probably like that quite a bit.

LOL @ mensef (he doesn't like lamb, actually.). Actually, he won't eat in restaurants in Jordan either, I had to pry him out there too. he only would et things he made or things his family made, or something I made. So, he's consistent. He says retaurants and other homes there are gross too :) he's very suspicious :) I think, though, for a while ti was because he didn't realize we have health and safety rules... he thought it was normal for someone to be smoking and dumping their ashes into your food, touching it without gloves, etc.

He loves chocolate, but I went with peach and apple pies. He adores sweets, and lives practically on snickers and soda.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

He adores sweets, and lives practically on snickers and soda.

My kind of guy! :thumbs:

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
Actually, he won't eat in restaurants in Jordan either, I had to pry him out there too. he only would et things he made or things his family made, or something I made.

Having lived in Turkey I can agree with his opinion. It is really easy to get food poisoning from restaurants / cafes in the Middle East. If the meat is a little undercooked or the veggies are not washed properly, you will be worshiping at the porcelain throne for a few days. Get food poisoning a few times and you start becoming paranoid.

Hmmmmmm sweet apple pie.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.