dhalia

RFE for evidence that qualifies us for the exemption to have met within the past two years

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Is it only that you did not get a chance (no time) to meet her or is it actually prohibited culturally for you to meet her prior to marrying?

The OP has stated within this thread that it is against his/her culture's custom to meet before marriage.

Also just to add, if you are going to go down the "cultural reasons" route, please make sure to note that an arranged marriage does not presuppose that the couple cannot meet at least once, with family members present, before the wedding. You must be clear in your evidence that any meeting would go against your customs.

Edited by eyoa

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Is it only that you did not get a chance (no time) to meet her or is it actually prohibited culturally for you to meet her prior to marrying?

The OP has stated within this thread that it is against his/her culture's custom to meet before marriage.

Also just to add, if you are going to go down the "cultural reasons" route, please make sure to note that an arranged marriage does not presuppose that the couple cannot meet at least once, with family members present, before the wedding. You must be clear in your evidence that any meeting would go against your customs.

Just because your family arranged a marriage does not mean that you cannot meet in person. Although this culture exemption is in the law, I have yet seen a culture that prevents two people from meeting.

There may be some tribe in the Amazon Jungle, but it is common for people who are in an arranged marriage to meet and go thru some kind of courtship.

I give this petition a 99.99% chance of being denied.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Why didn't you get all the docs before filing for K1. It clearly says in instructions what you need. NOw , you are just wasting your and other people's time. You could have gotten all the affadvaits that you can not meet in person before filing. Can you explain why u didn't do that before filing???????? I think even though USCIS approves your case, it could cause more problems at embassy level because they know that unless you are coming from a very very conservative and religious family, it is normal nowadays to meet in person and parents do allow that in India.

Timeline

Just because your family arranged a marriage does not mean that you cannot meet in person.

This is a reiteratation of what I have already said...

Although this culture exemption is in the law, I have yet seen a culture that prevents two people from meeting.

There may be some tribe in the Amazon Jungle, but it is common for people who are in an arranged marriage to meet and go thru some kind of courtship.

There are more cultures than tribal that prescribe to this kind of practice.

Here is an example of an India case that was approved based on cultural exemption: link

To me no matter what the requirements are I think a petitioner shoud visit their mate in their own country and meet their friends and see where they came from and learn a bit about their culture first hand.

Hard to descripe what it was like the first time I visited my lady in the barrio she lived in. Also going to her place of work and meeting her coworkers.

We had a civil weddings with a large reception in a beach front restaurant. Way more fun than my first marriage in the US.

Heck we go back as much as we can. I actually like it better than where we live in Hawaii. Surf and fishing is as good as Hawaii without a crowded conditions.

We are also a LOT "richer" there!!! Well sort of. The buck goes a LOT farther.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Why didn't you get all the docs before filing for K1. It clearly says in instructions what you need. NOw , you are just wasting your and other people's time. You could have gotten all the affadvaits that you can not meet in person before filing. Can you explain why u didn't do that before filing???????? I think even though USCIS approves your case, it could cause more problems at embassy level because they know that unless you are coming from a very very conservative and religious family, it is normal nowadays to meet in person and parents do allow that in India.

There are people from all over the world and from all different kinds of cultures here at VJ. If you didn't want your time wasted you really didn't need to take the time to respond. The OP didn't ask for personal opinions or judgements.

I think we can all stand a little human decency. ;)

OP, I think i've seen a couple of cases approved for this reason but, as stated above, I believe you must present a very strong case for 'cultural reasons'. good luck.

timeline.jpg

Timeline

Just because your family arranged a marriage does not mean that you cannot meet in person.

This is a reiteratation of what I have already said...

Although this culture exemption is in the law, I have yet seen a culture that prevents two people from meeting.

There are more cultures than tribal that prescribe to this kind of practice.

Here is an example of an India case that was approved based on cultural exemption: link

wow...learn something every day...an exemption from some culture in Tibet...dont think this will be very common.

her odds just went up to 99.9% of being denied.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline
wow...learn something every day...an exemption from some culture in Tibet...dont think this will be very common.

I never stated that this is common, in fact I said that it is rare to be approved based on cultural exceptions.

I am going under the assumption that they are accurate in their conveyance that their culture does not allow meeting before marriage, and they were looking for information as to what they need to submit to prove this. To deny this does not help the OP.

Edited by eyoa

Timeline

I never stated that this is common, in fact I said that it is rare to be approved based on cultural exceptions.

I am going under the assumption that they are accurate in their conveyance that their culture does not allow meeting before marriage, and they were looking for information as to what they need to submit to prove this. To deny this does not help the OP.

In that case they must demonstrate that they adhere to all the facets of their culture. If they are required to hang up-side-down in a tree and cackle at a full moon, then they must provide evidence to this.

Up to 99% chance of rejection.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
To me no matter what the requirements are I think a petitioner shoud visit their mate in their own country and meet their friends and see where they came from and learn a bit about their culture first hand.

I have to agree ... I understand some cultures dont allow for the couple to spend time alone but like I said in my initial post I cant understand why they cant be chaperoned and by the entire family if need be ... Theres been denials in the forums where there isnt enough evidence or they been introduced by family etc and they have pics etc .. how is that fair that they be denied and be ok for someone else with no evidence at all ...

I dont mean to be :blink: but we've all had to go thru the drama of gathering evidence and proving we are bona fide relationships and in this case all they would have in their petition would be the forms and some affidavits and they expect to be approved and disappointed when they arent ...

Today is the Tomorrow, you worried about Yesterday .....

05-Dec-04 Shay and I met online.

17-Feb-07 Shay came to visit me Australia for 5 and half wonderful weeks.

---

02-Oct-08 Shay lodged 1-129F

07-Oct-08 Shay recieved confirmation that NOA1 had been approved

07-Jan-09 Shay recieved confirmation that NOA2 had been approved

14-Jan-09 NVC notification recieved

29-Jan-09 I recieved pk 3 in the mail

29-Jan-09 I recieved passport in the mail

04-Feb-09 I went for my police check

20-Feb-09 medical

24-Feb-09 Picked up medical results *PASSED*

26-Feb-09 mailed pack 3

02-Mar-09 Embassy received pack 3

24-Mar-09 Interview @ 9.00am

!!!!!!!! VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!

27-Mar-09 Visa Arrives in Mail

---

14-Apr-09 Departing for the US

---

02-May-09 Wedding Day

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Up to 99% chance of rejection.

Ok, I think we all get the point. ;)

The petition has already been filed. The question is regarding a response to the RFE. All they can do is respond with what they can and hope for the best.

Edited by KimandRuss
timeline.jpg

Timeline

that was not stated...only that it was family arranged...quite common for that part of the world.

Timeline

that was not stated...only that it was family arranged...quite common for that part of the world.

If you reread the thread, you'll see that when I first posted, I mentioned that most religions that subscribe to "no meeting before marriage" have a loophole that the couple can meet once only to finalize wedding plans. The OP then replied stating that there is no such loophole in their culture/religion.

I also stated that arranged marriages do not necessarily require the couple not to meet before the marriage takes place. These are two separate issues.

Timeline

If you reread the thread, you'll see that when I first posted, I mentioned that most religions that subscribe to "no meeting before marriage" have a loophole that the couple can meet once only to finalize wedding plans. The OP then replied stating that there is no such loophole in their culture/religion.

I also stated that arranged marriages do not necessarily require the couple not to meet before the marriage takes place. These are two separate issues.

That was my point....there is no such religion that prevents meeting before marriage.

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for all the responses, I really didn't get a chance to go meet my fiancee who is in india as my parents are the ones who arranged everything as it is done in our culture. As you said it is pointless for us to meet up now right? I'm trying to get our religious leader to write us a letter to help us out because this is the customs/religion where we are fixed up by our parents who settle all details. What should he write on the letter? Is there any other information that I can send that will help our case?

I really appreciate all of your responses.

Thanks

You may be wasting your time if this is a family arranged marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.