chris4336

Coverts?

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Random bit on some western muslim culture...

Although there are conflicting opinions on the permisability of music and the use of musical instruments, some muslims are gaining prominance on the international music scene (don't want a debate on the issue here though :star: ) My faaaaaaaaaavorite group is Outlandish, a group of 2 muslims and one catholic from Denmark. Blending their varied religious and cultural backgrounds (latin beats and arabic rifts permiate the english hip hop lyrics sprinkled with urdu, spanish, arabic and danish). The title of their latest album, Closer than Veins is a reference to surah 50, ayah 16, which says, "And certainly We created man, and We know what his mind suggests to him, and We are nearer to him than his life-vein." True to the title, the album is chocked full of songs reflecting on living life as a muslim (nay any religious person) in this society today.

You can listen to this latest album and their past ones on their website under discography. Also check out their tribute to the sisters, and especially for W_o_M, Look into my Eyes, for our brothers and sisters in Palestine.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I know this is a little off topic, but I'm wondering if there are any Muslim converts (reverts) here that would be willing to speak with me? I am very interested in Islam (my fiancee has sparked this interest) but am having a really really tough time since my return to the states explaning this to anyone, friends or family, and even finding any kind of support system. Also, they are not supportive at all of my engagement (which I understand as they have never met my fiancee being that it is IMPOSSIBLE to bring him into the states).

Just feeling like its me and him against the world, and its difficult when we are so far away, with no end in sight.

Any support would be apprecaited.

Thank you

Christina

I am not a convert but my fiance is a muslim.. i do not believe in islam because i believe Jesus is the son of God.. but thre are alot of similarities between the 2 ... my fiance is aware that i do not want to convert and respects my wishes. no matter what do not let someone pressure you in your decision.. one misconception is that when u marry a muslim u have to convert .. for some reason this is true but only with muslim women.. a muslim man can marry a christian woman or a jew.....

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: Timeline

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm wondering if there are any Muslim converts (reverts) here that would be willing to speak with me? I am very interested in Islam (my fiancee has sparked this interest) but am having a really really tough time since my return to the states explaning this to anyone, friends or family, and even finding any kind of support system. Also, they are not supportive at all of my engagement (which I understand as they have never met my fiancee being that it is IMPOSSIBLE to bring him into the states).

Just feeling like its me and him against the world, and its difficult when we are so far away, with no end in sight.

Any support would be apprecaited.

Thank you

Christina

I am not a convert but my fiance is a muslim.. i do not believe in islam because i believe Jesus is the son of God.. but thre are alot of similarities between the 2 ... my fiance is aware that i do not want to convert and respects my wishes. no matter what do not let someone pressure you in your decision.. one misconception is that when u marry a muslim u have to convert .. for some reason this is true but only with muslim women.. a muslim man can marry a christian woman or a jew.....

There are not alot of similarites.. :huh:

shon.gif

Yes there is. :)

There are SOME. but not alot. I just had a class islam/christanity.

Jesus had many powers. Muhammad(PBUH) did not claim to have special powers

except the day he was told to recite the Quran in arabic. he did not speak arabic.

I suppose you could compaire Ramadan and Lent. but, not really. :no:

shon.gif

except the day he was told to recite the Quran in arabic. he did not speak arabic.

It is also taught in Islam that Jesus was given miracles. We don't dispute those so what's the difference there? The only difference between Islam and christianity is that paganism creeped into christianity to form the trinity and claims that Jesus was Allah's son. That is in the Quran. The message that Jesus brought was the same fundamental message as Muhammad (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) and all the prophets before them... to know there is only one God and worship Him alone.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Christina also when you make you decision i think you need to read the book of Matthew in the bible and the scripture thats quotes Jesus saying "the only way to the Father is through me". :thumbs:

I have to say thank you all for this information and resources that you have shared. I was talking to Hasan and was telling him that i ws reading for more knowledge and reminded him that I am not considering to convert but want to know more. I only throw that in cause I would never want to get his hopes up and then let him down. I am not sure how happy he is cause I have many questions and I think I may have offended him when I asked why he drinks alcohol when it is forbidden. Please believe me I am not trying to judge I am only trying to inquire so that I know. He said he was not offended. He response to me was do all Catholics pray. So I told him never mind I will just read and not question at this time until i gain more knowledge.

Ok I am still curious and know that there are many clubs in Jordan and alot of alochol is consumed and Jordan is 95% Muslim.

I try and only look for te simularities and not the differences but i really want a deeper understanding so that i can be a great wife to my future husband. I want to be able to understand and comform as much as I can so that we can be better for one another. Am I not seeing this the way I am suppose to or by only trying to be the most I can is that not what is right. I am not sure but only want to grow in my knowledge and understanding in Islam. I have seen from many of the resources here in this topic that i am getting alot of useful knowledge. I am now kind of afraid to ask many questions but that is the only way to learn. I can only hope that I am not offending anyone by my ignorence on this subject but I will only try to better myself from the knowledge I gain.

Thanks again.

Sure you want to be a good wife to your husband but, if christian women were not good for muslim men then their Quran wouldnt allow them to marry us. dont change what you believe in to conform to someone.. you do it for God. I will not convert and my fiance has accepted it and we love each other and respect each other for who we are.

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Nobody changes what they believe for another person. If you convert for your husband, that means you didn't convert. You convert in your heart and in your soul. You follow the truth. You convert for your self and God not for anyone else. Anyone who says that they converted for there husband did not truly convert, because take the spouse out of the relationship and they are back to there old beliefs.

No one here is trying to pull anyone one way or another.

Basically to know what you believe read and read a lot. Learn and becareful where you get your info. If you have questions, ask someone who you know is going to be able to stear you in the right direction. Put aside your fears and let your mind and heart lead you. Knowledge in the only way to go.

I know that I have heard some people from other religions say that learning about anything else is a sin, Because you are questioning. But let me ask you something, if you don't know anything else, how do you know that what you know is true.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I definately am in need of some calming influences today.

SubhanAllah,

. The audience recites Qur'an to her and she can tell them exactly where it's from, or they say a verse, and she'll recite it (F) Ya Allah, I hope that my kids will show such dedication. Oh heck, I wish I could do that.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

It is also taught in Islam that Jesus was given miracles. We don't dispute those so what's the difference there? The only difference between Islam and christianity is that paganism creeped into christianity to form the trinity and claims that Jesus was Allah's son. That is in the Quran. The message that Jesus brought was the same fundamental message as Muhammad (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) and all the prophets before them... to know there is only one God and worship Him alone.

One thing I really dont like is religous arguments. People will say how they feel. there are so many interpratations of the same things. Jesus is not allahs son. Jesus is the son of god. Born through Mother Mary. Jesus message was that for sin we no longer had to slaughter lambs. Jesus died for our sins. its through him we are saved.

shon.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.