chris4336

Coverts?

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Further pretty pictures

Muslim Cultures blog, which picks a few of the best photos out of the Muslim Cultures flickr group.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Thank you all for the wonderful replies. The outpouring of support is truly appreciated (by both myself and my fiancee).

I am certainly going to take some time to look through all these wonderful links.

Thank you,

Christina

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Timeline
YES, RAHMA, THANKS FOR POSTING ALL THE COOL STUFF - SPECIALLY THE FREE THINGS! I HAVE ORDERED A COUPLE OF THEM.... KEEP 'EM COMING! :thumbs:

NOURA

ironically, as soon as i posted this, i got an email confirming the webbook cd that i ordered yesterday - it has been sent out and i should recieve it in 3-5 days!!! hope it comes b4 i leave for ny!

wooohoooo....

Let us know how the CD is!

Earlier, I posted a link to a flash presentation of Surah Maryam

Now, the same person has made one for Surah Qaf. I (L) this recitor and translator. I definately need to pick up a copy of this quran.

Thank you all for the wonderful replies. The outpouring of support is truly appreciated (by both myself and my fiancee).

I am certainly going to take some time to look through all these wonderful links.

Thank you,

Christina

You're very welcome. Don't hestitate to post any questions here (F)

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Let us know how the CD is!

It came in today's mail! :dance: Gonna check it out while I'm in NY... I'll let you know how it is... packing and preparing the house to be empty for a week now... B)

Noura

Edited by noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Timeline

Talk by Yusuf Islam fka Cat Stevens on Welcome to the Qur'an; Gateway of Faith.

Also on the same webpage -

Islam themed flash presentations

Large number of Qur'an recitations

irhal.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Okay some questions...I guess mainly for the reverts, but any advice would be appreciated

What I'm wonering is sort of "the order" of the steps you took to becoming full blown Muslim...It just seems like first I was learning the rules but they made no sense, so I started to read the Koran, and I was thinking about trying to pray, but my fiancee said it would not mean as much to me until I officially convert but obviously I don't want to officially convert until I understand the religion deeply...and I don't see how you can do that without praying and living as a Muslim?? Sometimes I just feel like I am going around in circles?

The other thing is that some of the teachings I have read online seem completely incompatible with a lifestyle in the US...for example No Insurance? I have yet to bring this up with my fiancee, but how would it ever be possible to pay for the tremndously high cost of medical care (and also, if I died I would never want to burden my family with those bills).

With that being said, there are aspects of the religion that are changing my life. For example, I used to be extremly concerned with what others though about me (what I said, what I was wearing, etc). Now I am beginning to focus all that energy to worrying about living a good life. I also am feeling great deal more of inner peace now that I am starting to believe that there is plan for me. In these past few months I have felt truly grateful for everyday, and that is a wonderfuly way to be living my life.

Hope to hear about others journys...

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

What is this no Insurance. I have never ready anything like that in Islam.

There are certain rules that can have exceptions under neccesaty. Such as interest. When there is no Islamic bank in the Place where you live, You can get a loan from the bank to buy a home for interest.

I don't think Insurance is forbiden. Insurance can save someones life, and life is precious in Islam

Filed: Timeline
What is this no Insurance. I have never ready anything like that in Islam.

There are certain rules that can have exceptions under neccesaty. Such as interest. When there is no Islamic bank in the Place where you live, You can get a loan from the bank to buy a home for interest.

I don't think Insurance is forbiden. Insurance can save someones life, and life is precious in Islam

I was wondering the same thing when I read this... I think there are some scholars who frown on "life insurance" because they see it as gambling but I have never heard anything against health / medical insurance. As far as life insurance, I'm not sure I see that as a gamble because we're all going to die... I'll have to search about this inshallah.

I want to just say 2 things.

One, becoming muslim is something you just do. It's either in your heart or its not. Step or not. (My opinon.)

Second, intention is the key. We are living in a non-muslim country. The society here makes following the rules of Islam difficult. As I was advised, do your best, and keep the purest intent in your heart. There are times adaptation to society is almost forced. You do the best you can.

there are alot of subject matters addressed here on islam. com

there is alot of things I dont agree with. I have life insurance. I think its for my husband

and our kids to be well taken care of. I am against it going to islam thats not what its for..

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/fatwah.asp

shon.gif

Timeline

If there's one thing I've learned since converting, it's that it's best to find the middle path.

The Prophet Muhammad (saws) once said " The religion is easy and whosoever will deal with religion harshly, it will defeat him. So be straight, follow the middle course, give good news and seek help by moving in the morning or the evening or part of the night .” (Bukhari)

There are reasons that some say life insurance is forbidden. There are also reasons some say that it is permissable. When first studying Islam, we often get bogged down in the minute details of fiqh (jurisprudence). That's often what is emphasized. But, at least from my experiences, I didn't worry about the details until I had grasped the basics. Feel free to explore opinions on various topics, but until there's a firm grounding in the basics of belief, all the other stuff is fluff.

The very best summation of what the basics are can be found in the follow hadith, called the hadith Gabriel

http://www.ihyafoundation.com/index.php?page=hadith_jibril

On the authority of ‘Umar Ibn al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him), who said: Once while we were sitting in the company of Allah’s Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) there came upon us a man with snow-white attire and his hair was jet black. There were no signs of travelling upon him; and none of us recognized him.

He sat along with the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) and knelt before the Prophet’s knees and placed his palms on the Prophet’s thighs and said: ‘O Muhammad! Inform me about al-ISLAM’. The Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “al-ISLAM is to testify that La Ilaha Illa Allah, Muhammad Rasullullah (i.e. none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah), to establish the Salah (the five daily prayers), to pay the Zakah (obligatory charity), to observe the fast of Ramadan, and to perform the Hajj (pilgrimage) to the House (the Holy Mosque n Makka) if you can afford it”. The man said: ‘You have told the truth’. ‘Umar said: ‘It amazed us that he would ask the question and he then would verify the truth himself’.

The man said: ‘Tell me about al-IMAN (faith)’. The Prophet replied: “It is to affirm your faith in Allah, His angels, His Books His Messengers and the Last Day, and to believe in the Divine Destiny whether it be good or bad”. The man said: ‘You have told the truth’.

He again said: ‘Tell me about al-IHSAN’ (i.e. the performance of some action in a goodly manner, goodness)’. The prophet said: “It is to worship Allah as though you see Him, and know that He sees you, even if you do not see Him”. The man said: ‘Tell me about the Hour (Doomsday)’. The Prophet said: “I – the one questioned – do not know about it more than you – the questioner”. The man said: ‘Tell me about its signs’. The Prophet said: “It is when a slave gives birth to her own mistress (or master), and when you see the barefooted and tattered needy shepherds vying with one another in erecting high buildings”. The man then departed and ‘Umar stayed with the Prophet for a while. The Prophet said: “O ‘Umar! Have you recognized the Questioner?” ‘Umar said: ‘Allah and His Messenger know best’. The Prophet said: “It is Gibreel (Angel Gabriel), who has come to teach you your religion”

So, first, deal with Islam, Iman and Ihsan. Then with that foundation, it will be much much simpler to approach other issues. I constantly remind myself that Allah (swt) in all His infinate wisdom did not throw the Qur'an down from heaven and say read it, tomorrow there will be a quiz on everything and I expect you all to get 100%. No, Allah (swt) sent down the book over a 23 year period and gave us the great mercy that is the Prophet (saws) to help us understand and guide us in the best practice. The best muslims were the Prophet (saws), his wives (ra) and his companions (ra). But, they didn't become perfect muslims overnight. God gave them 23 years to perfect their deen. That isn't to say that it will take all of us 23 years, but we shouldn't feel burdened when we learn our faith.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Something posters here might be interested in is this upcoming live session with Imam Suhaib Webb this Saturday. I know the muslim posters here will inshaAllah benefit from it, and those interested in Islam may want to tune in. I'm not sure how in depth it will be, but Imam Suhaib is a fantastic speaker mashaAllah. I'm definately looking forward to it!

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.