travelinchica

Marrying a Peruvian but don't want to return to USA yet?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Peru
Timeline

My story, in brief, takes place in Peru. Aug of 07 I quit my job and took a year off to travel. I rented out my house, put everything in storage and took off.

Jan of 08 I met my fiance in Peru while I was visiting friends. He is the nephew of a friend. We went to a wedding as our first date and the rest is history. I stayed in Peru to the end of Feb and then returned to the USA. I came back a month later and stayed until July. I returned for a brief visit to the usa for a work conference in Nov. I have been living here (in Peru) since November 08 until today and I'll be here until June 09. We are planning our wedding for July 09. We'll have been together a year and a half.

So we tried and failed to get a tourist visa in October. My fiance works for a microfinance visa and doesn't often get vacation time. He got a month in October and we wanted to take advantage of it and have him meet my friends and family and get to know my life in the USA. We too told the truth thinking it was the best thing to do...tell the truth. DENIED of course, they thought we wanted to thwart the system and get married in the US. He was heartbroken.

So anyway, my issue is the same. I quit my job (where I was making 50k) in the usa and didn't work for a year. I am now working part-time for a company in France, but of course it is a lot less than I was making before. However, I don't need that much to live here and he makes enough to support us. We are buying land here in Peru and plan to live here for the near future, at least 5 years. I am thinking of selling my house in the US. After the wedding I will work on getting my residency here in Peru.

So my issue, question, confusion is what we do now? We'd like to be able to visit the usa together. We don't want to have him immigrate to the usa at this time, or maybe never. We do want to have the option to visit family and when we have children, we want to be able to travel to the usa to visit family together. How do we do this??? What is our best option. It seems the k3/k4 is only for immigration. I don't want to screw up again like we did with the tourist visa.

Help????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unfortunately, you don't any other option if you don't plan to live in the US. A tourist visa is the only thing he can qualify for if he plans to visit. So maybe you can go back for another interview and show more evidence that you have reasons to go back to Peru after your trip. The land title for example would be very useful, letters of employment, bank statements, all of that may be useful. Also, try to talk to the CO and tell him/her what your intentions are, they may be having a good day that day and grant him his visa.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.