Dr. A ♥ O

"Put me a list with the really necessary things we need in our place."

163 posts in this topic

OMG so true and it grosses me out when they just let them hang in those stretchy sporty type ones. That might be a good business idea...would save my eyes a bit! :P

Yep. They look like puppies in a sack they do. That's if they bother putting them in anything at all. If that's the case, they just haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Not to go off topic too much, but I have to say it. Whenever I see the puppies-in-a-sack or haaaaaaaaaaanging cha-chas, one thought goes through my head: The old "Egyptian men will marry any woman, fat, old, doesn't matter, whatever it takes to get papers." Well, let's all think about how lots (not all, of course, but lots) of Egyptian women look like when they hit, oh, about 40. Yeah, they don't have papers to offer, but they frequently have pretty full figures and their husbands still stay with them. Sah?

Back on topic: Olivia, you can probably expect to lose weight. If you're one for fast food, boxed food, or canned food, you probably won't be here. Not only is it super expensive, it doesn't taste the same. Add that to the readily available and inexpensive (by western standards) fresh fruit and vegetables and you have a recipe for weight loss. Moreover, walking is a necessity here. I live in Alexandria, a city of 4 million people and lots of transportation options. However, none of that transportation is available right outside of my front door. I have to walk to it. As much as it shames me to say it, I hardly walked anywhere in the U.S.; I drove. Now I walk. And walk. And walk. Finally, when it gets hot (as I've said, Cairo is HOT in the summer), food has very little appeal, certainly not as much as water. Good food. Exercise. Heat. Yeah, losing weight happened to me. It's quite likely it will happen to you, too.

Take a measuring tape with you and plan to have new bras sent to you from America as you need them. You will not find what you want/need here.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Great I'll have to do that. I have a flexible tailor measuring tape around here somewhere. I'm not sure how much weight I will lose but I've seen other friends do study abroad in less time than I and they had dramatic weight change. If I get back to my standard size 6 then these puppies are a 34C. I haven't seen that in 5-6 years. It would be great! ^_^ I'll have to see if someone can send me bras like you suggest. Thx!

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Timeline
OMG so true and it grosses me out when they just let them hang in those stretchy sporty type ones. That might be a good business idea...would save my eyes a bit! :P

Yep. They look like puppies in a sack they do. That's if they bother putting them in anything at all. If that's the case, they just haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Not to go off topic too much, but I have to say it. Whenever I see the puppies-in-a-sack or haaaaaaaaaaanging cha-chas, one thought goes through my head: The old "Egyptian men will marry any woman, fat, old, doesn't matter, whatever it takes to get papers." Well, let's all think about how lots (not all, of course, but lots) of Egyptian women look like when they hit, oh, about 40. Yeah, they don't have papers to offer, but they frequently have pretty full figures and their husbands still stay with them. Sah?

Back on topic: Olivia, you can probably expect to lose weight. If you're one for fast food, boxed food, or canned food, you probably won't be here. Not only is it super expensive, it doesn't taste the same. Add that to the readily available and inexpensive (by western standards) fresh fruit and vegetables and you have a recipe for weight loss. Moreover, walking is a necessity here. I live in Alexandria, a city of 4 million people and lots of transportation options. However, none of that transportation is available right outside of my front door. I have to walk to it. As much as it shames me to say it, I hardly walked anywhere in the U.S.; I drove. Now I walk. And walk. And walk. Finally, when it gets hot (as I've said, Cairo is HOT in the summer), food has very little appeal, certainly not as much as water. Good food. Exercise. Heat. Yeah, losing weight happened to me. It's quite likely it will happen to you, too.

Take a measuring tape with you and plan to have new bras sent to you from America as you need them. You will not find what you want/need here.

Great idea!

You know when my MIL arrived here...first thing I did was take her bra shopping. Boy, did she LOVE VS...we spent HOURS there. :P

Edited by Nawal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hmmm very interesting!!

If it were me; my list of things I wish I had when I lived in Morocco for 3 months:

1. American bed sheets (2-3 sets) (you know fitted sheet, flat sheet, light blanket, comforter.) I REALLY wished I had American pillows too but those are hard to pack.

I brought some pillows with me last time I went to Jamaica. You're right: though light, those things took up TONS of room in the suitcase.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Last time I was here I gained weight from my mother in law's cooking. She makes the yummiest food but it's not exactly figure friendly. This time I expect that I will gain some weight as well, but since I am living here now and we have our own place, we won't eat at the parents in law's house as often as when I was just visiting.

I thought they had a VS here? In City Stars maybe? I don't remember where I read it but it seems like I did.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Last time I was here I gained weight from my mother in law's cooking. She makes the yummiest food but it's not exactly figure friendly. This time I expect that I will gain some weight as well, but since I am living here now and we have our own place, we won't eat at the parents in law's house as often as when I was just visiting.

I thought they had a VS here? In City Stars maybe? I don't remember where I read it but it seems like I did.

I think you are right....last winter '08 maybe I think I saw an ad for the grand opening. Hmm....FIND OUT OLIVIA!! :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think you are right....last winter '08 maybe I think I saw an ad for the grand opening. Hmm....FIND OUT OLIVIA!! :P

City Stars has 550 stores and 2 pages of ladies wear and lingere. w00t! http://www.citystars.com.eg/citystars/mall...ue&catid=15

They don't have a Victoria's Secret but they do have a Women's Secret. lolz! I know where I'll be shopping now! :dance: Annie when we get you and Ash unpacked from my suitcases we all have to go shopping!

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

City Stars has 550 stores and 2 pages of ladies wear and lingere. w00t! http://www.citystars.com.eg/citystars/mall...ue&catid=15

They don't have a Victoria's Secret but they do have a Women's Secret. lolz! I know where I'll be shopping now! :dance: Annie when we get you and Ash unpacked from my suitcases we all have to go shopping!

:devil: OMG Ash and I ... you are in so much trouble girl! :lol:

I do know they have VS for sale and other things like Guess, Zara, etc at the Maadi Overstock sales...but I have no idea when those are. I used to get emails. :P

I vote for buying several good quality bras at home that fit you well and then maybe taking one or two in other sizes in case of weight changes. Definitely a top priority!

But on weight loss:, yes you might loose weight, but in my experience a lot of women who go to MENA countries actually gain weight (at least at first) because you tend to spend more time indoors and there are less opportunities for sports/aerobics and that kind of thing, eat late at night before going to bed and generally eat more sweets and fried food that you have to eat lots of just to be polite! But obviously it depends a lot on your habits in the US and your living conditions in Egypt (like someone said about being alone vs. with his family, whether or not you are working etc., if you get homlesick/depressed, etc.). Even during Ramadan - it sounds like you will be there for it this year - you will notice that some women actually put on weight (don't know if you fast or plan to...). I thought I'd lose weight with not eating all day but you make up for it with lots of good food late at night and too many sweets , it's like Thanksgiving for a whole month! So especially if you arent fasting that's an easy time to put on weight.

On adapters, yes everyone is right about electronics needing both voltage and plug adapters - I forgot egypt was on the 220 system! sorry! For anything that has a little box along the cord/plug (like on a lot of cell phone chargers, laptop computer cords etc.) you can read on it and it will tell you what the input max/min is. If it says: "input 110 -220" then you are usually fine just using a plug adapter...otherwise you need the voltage converter....

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sah, yemkin, lakan ----there's alot more to it than that.... If an Egyptian man stays with his 40 something year old Egyptian wife it's probably because they have been together for 20 years, they have a BUNCH of kids, their families are likely majorly entwined (if they aren't cousins already!) and more importantly there is a rather harsh stigma on divorced women in Egypt, and what reason would a man have to divorce the mother of his children even if she did have "hangin' chacha's"?? If he could afford to, he could marry a younger firmer set of chacha's....

On the other hand, whenever a young Egyptian man tried to tell me that he "always had a thing for older women".... I always suggested he find a nice older Egyptian woman (since there are MANY of them)!

I don't think there's any comparison between staying with the mother of your children when she isn't a model anymore and young men chosing to marry someone with hanging chacha's when they come with a green card.....

What part of Alex are you in???? I've been hungry for my favorite fateer shop on Canal Suez in Moharam Bey... :)

Hey Guys,

I have been offline for awhile, but must say, nice to be back, it's amazing how much you realize you're addicted to the net, when you dont have it LOL

I wanted to state my opinion on young egyptian men marrying older foreign women, but I know I will get totally torn apart.. so I think I just better keep my comments to myself ;) LOL

as far as rent prices go here in ALEX ( don't know to much about Cairo Olivia) I live in a fairly decent apartment, in an ok area ( not great.. Sidi Bishr) we pay 400LE a month, which in my opinion , is dirt cheap, my apartment is furnished, came with everything you need, down to the bed sheets and dishes.

Apartments vary from area to area, some areas are of course alot nicer and cleaner, and more commercial. meaning, streets filled with many shops, etc... of course those areas r going to cost more to live in. even thou maybe the apartments may be of same quality.

Karmella...you asked me why I liked Cairo over Alex... oh gosh, where do I start ? ! lol

I guess I found Cairo more westernized, not so many looks, and its just alot more freedom there than Alex... IMO.for example, if I walk out of my apartment here in Alex, without my hijab on... oh boy... every single person will look at me! versus... in Cairo... I don't think ANYONE looked at me at all...

To be completely honest with ya.... Egypt is a nice place to VISIT.. my home is in America... and im counting the days until I get back there... its kind of funny Olivia is counting the days until she gets here to Egypt, and im thinking to myself, poor girl, im counting the days til im out of here lol...

don't mean to discourage you in anyway Olivia, but I think you will understand once you have lived here for sometime... there is nothing like where u come from sweetie. and in the beginning, its fresh, and exciting, new, surreal... but as time pases , it becomes common, and life becomes more diffucult and frustrating... because that surreal feeling for u will pass... and all u will be left with pretty much is sweet memories of ur homeland.

cant speak for everyone.... that is just what has happened for me and a few other women that live here in Egypt as well, that I know.

I am certainly hoping that you do enjoy your time here... and have alot of fun, I know you will be so happy to be with your husband, and love has no boundaries, this is sure.... but like I said before, sometimes, LOVE is just not enough!

If he could afford to, he could marry a younger firmer set of chacha's....

They do. And sneak it.

What part of Alex are you in???? I've been hungry for my favorite fateer shop on Canal Suez in Moharam Bey... :)

Jillai are neighbors ... and buddies. (L)

I've had a bad case of non-stop Fatafeat (the Egyptian version of Food Network) just because there are a lot of American cooking shows with American food. I wouldn't eat fateer right now if I had to. :crying:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.